Reusing soil

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by bryanden, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Bought some Fox Farm Ocean Forest? damn expensive for dirt. Is it a good i idea to reuse. After all nutes are added during most of the growing. I'll have to try the Kellogg soil mentioned in a previous thread.

2. I'd say as long as you didnt have any problems with bugs or virus/disease it's probably okay. Adding a little more perilite for drainage would be a good idea since the previous grow has compacted the soil.

3. I started cooking my soil to guarantee there are no bugs or eggs for the next batch. things can get out of hand fast if staring from buggy soil. Also I put some dirt aside and do a flush or remove all the nutes.. I use this for seeds or small plants. Don't want to burn them from soil that has lots of nutes.

4. This is a good idea I need to start doing, keep a flushed out amount to the side that is.

Ive been recycling the same Ocean Forest (and happy frog) for like 8 months now with no issues. It actually got easier to use after the first run once it used most the nutes up already in it, I had alot of feeding issues the first round but since then things have been humming along.

One thing ive started to do is when I have 5-10 gallons sitting in the recycle bin I toss about 2 gals of water in mixed with some hygrozyme to dissolve the rootmass left over, seems to be working great.

5. Yes those roots must be dealt with, I've heard, or they can rot your growing roots.

6. They do cause root rot in your new plant, and thats a massive invitation for fungus gnats.. you have to get the roots out or dry them up completely.. i like to let the pots sit out and dry hardcore, tilling and turning the soil every day in order to help dry old roots i couldnt remove.. in a week or 2 that shit gets crispy dry and i put it all in a hefty bag, tie it up and roll it up and down the hall way a couple times to mix shit up, then i reuse.. havent had problems that way yet, i also use 5 gallon soil per plant, so i fill to about 4 with reused soil and add a gallon of new, but i dont think its necessary...