reusing soil

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by LETitBLEED, May 10, 2010.

1. [FONT=&quot]This is my first grow. [/FONT]And so far so good.
    [FONT=&quot]I purchased a sickly looking clone (green crack) at a discounted price. It survived and took root so I decided to grow it out.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Equipment –[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3x3x7 tent[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]400watt HPS/Mh[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Foxfarm soil[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]DynaGrow veg/bloom[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Tap water[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The pic of the plant is current; six weeks into flowering.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Unfortunately, I let the top of the plant get too close to the light DURING the flowering stage![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I'll start to harvest the plant this week as it appears to be ‘ready'.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Question –[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I want to reuse my foxfarm soil for my next grow. Should I mix in a specific formula of dry nutrients to replenish or should I use the liquid nutrients that I have and just use them from day one?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Any specific recommendations would be appreciated. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]thanks
    [/FONT]
    P1010035.jpg

P1010042.jpg

P1010043.jpg

2. Hi-

I suppose if you were really set on reusing your soil for whatever reason you could. There are methods of sterilizing soil in your oven, but beware, it stinks and it's messy....and who really wants to risk spilling dirt in their oven? Or even with loads of flushing, how can you be sure you've gotten all the old nutrients and salts out? It seems like quite a lot of effort...

But in all seriousness, if you've got any investment here (and it looks like you do) what's a few more bucks on new potting soil? I'd recommend splurging. If you're concerned about wasting the old soil, you can toss it in a compost heap and recycle it that way.

Peace- :wave:

3. You could resue soil. 's called composting. But it's not really like...pour solution #4 into Soil #1 and Bam!

You'd have to flush the salts. Sterilizing isn't necessary. Living soil is better than dead soil.

You though you were growing pot, but actually you were growing soil. Feed the soil, it will feed the plant. Don't kill it, then it's just humus. Feed it.

With amended fertilizers and occasional material refreshment, you can keep a soil culture thriving for a long time.

's all that Fern Gully (uh, I mean Avatar) balance stuff. 's all a big circle. Gotta keep the pieces in the circle of the soil, or it gets wobbly. Something like that.

4. i agree with catmint. start fresh.

5. I reuse my soil all the time without any issues. It's not FoxFarms, but MG. It's almost 2 years old. You can always by another bag and mix the old and new together. These people with salt issues must flood the soil with salty nutrients. How would they test it to know that, yes, this is salty soil? I have to guess that they are playing the myth game, or are very rich to throw out soil and rebuy.

besides, they flush out all the crap before harvest. Just doesn't add up.

6. #6 Glodenglow1, May 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
    You reuse MG soil?!!? dude wtf

Letitbleed,

why dont you maybe write down the pro's and cons of reusing soil. It think you will find that the cons will greatly outweigh the pro's

Is there some weird reason that you are wanting to do this? Is it economics?

Of all the things to worry about with herb, why reuse your soil? insects and pests are the main reason to me. I think you could fluch it enough if you have spare time on your hands, but I really cant see any benefit at all to your plants. You might save 100 bucks, but geesh, if you are that hard up, try posting a collection post, I'm sure you would get some donations!

As far as re-using Miracle Grow soil, that is about as ridiculous of a concept that I have heard of on this board yet.

Dont even get me started on MG soil to begin with, but to reuse it seems to be tempting the gods beyond good reason

7. Recently Ed R. on Cannabis Planet advised theres nothing wrong with it, has long as the last grow was issue free, its full of really good micro-organisms, if there was an issue with it disease toss it, bugs than deal with it or get new soil.
    Heres a thread I based my amendments to my used soil on http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/553745-make-your-own-soil-mix.html and one on making a tea http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/333940-post-your-organic-tea-recipe.html
    I spent about $130.00 on amendments, I used about half of the amendments and used about a cubic yard in my grow and have another cubic yard sitting in a bag and enough amendments left to do it over again.
    The initial investment concerned me and you don't need to get everything I did, I could of probably got by spending $80.00 or a little less, the upside is I'm good at least until this time next year and maybe a little beyond amending & re-using my soil.
    Don't over think this, its a weed !
    S.S.