Reselling a shitty car

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by U S S R, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Hello all. Basic rundown : I got a homie offering to sell me a 99 mazda 626 lx that has the following expenses : Registration, new radiator, and transmission problems (won't go into 3rd) ((automatic)) for 500$. Basically, I'm thinking that since it's prolly gonna cost me over 1000$ in repairs to get this car into a good condition, I might as well just resell it since 500$ is obviously a hook-up. How much do you think I could get for this car if I advertised it with these issues? I'm hoping to resell it for atleast 1000$. Do you think anyone would even buy it or is it not worth it?

Also, would I need a new transmission on it or is an isolated gear issue easy to fix?

Sorry if these questions are obvious/stupid, I am relatively new to cars and this is the first car I'll ever buy.

2. #2 jmick, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
    Go to on-line salvage yards and price a used tranny and radiator. You might find it cheaper than you think...also I would replace the tranny rather than try to repair it...Try LKQ used auto parts....

You might want to go to some Mazda forums and ask about the tranny problem, there could be a simple fix....

3. Aside from the parts themselves, labor would probably run me a few hundred dollars as well, right? This is why I'm just considering letting the buyer figure it all out themselves because it just sounds like a headache.

4. Unless you have some buddies that are knowledgeable and can help you.
    If you can figure out the parts costs for used parts it will make it easier for you to price the car when you sell it, as you could tell the buyer what he's looking at $ wise...

5. If you can sell it off for 1k like that you will be my hero

6. Fix the radiator, do the registration, then sell it for a grand.

7. See if you can get Xzibit to Pimp your ride. Then sell it for $1k or part out the 5000 tv's they put in it and make bank.

8. You aren't going to make anything on the car unless you physically replace the transmission and radiator. You can source them at junkyards for a few hundred bucks. Then you'll get $1500-$2000 out of the car. Otherwise, it's bearly worth a few hundred bucks IMHO

9. I wouldn't pay $500 for that. My first car was $250 and it lasted me almost a year and I didn't take care of it at all.