Researched....... still no clue

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by killachronic, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Havent every really posted much on this site but have been reading and looking at pics on the site for over 3 years. Recently got my own place and started a small closet grow. Plants are about 16 days old and are working on their 3rd and 4th sets of leaves. The thirds are forming in pretty well with no burn, but the 1st few sets of leaves are getting like rusty goldish lines flowing adjacent with the veins. It is mostly around the edges and NONE of the tips are burnt at all. One of the Purp strands that looks completely different from the other two is not burnt at all and is still growing rapidly but the others have slowed. I figured it was a Ph problem so i flushed the nutes out of them with some 5.5ph water. Other than that i dont know what to do I could really use some expert advice

Lighting: Plants are under 4 of the skinny really bright T-8's i think and 3 spirals around the sides. Plenty of lighting i think they are growing very rapidly.

Heat: No issue

Seeds: all three seeds were out of some good headies out of 3 different batches of bud that i bought to smoke. 2 of them were "purp".

Soil: Black gold seedling organic potting soil. (when i germ'd them i just put them inside those little spongy brown seed started things and they all popped up in 3 days)

Pots: All are in large enough pots so i know root bound is not an issue.

Water: I watered for the second time yesterday on day 15 using a very smal concentration of nutes (Botanicare pure blend pro veg. formula 3-1.5-4) It made the problem worse definitley.

Ph- plants grew fine until about day 12 when the began to get a little brown around the edges and the edges of the leafs were turning up towards the light. I have been adjusting the water to around 6.5 when watering.

Any advice is appreciated

2. fert burn ...seedlings need no ferts for the first 3-4 weeks

Black gold soil contains pre-added ferts already organic but its still ferts, you have been supplemental feeding them.

flush the soil to leech the excess ferts dont feed for 2-3 weeks

Flush with PH corrected water, till in optimum PH range, 3 times the volume of the pots is the rule of thumb but may require much more flushing if the rootball is thick
    EG: 1 gal pot = 3 gal. flush

3. THanks for the advice.....would having the ph at 7 before the plants were watered with the nutes cause some small discoloration on the leaves but now stunt the growth any? How long should it take for the plants to recover from this mistake?

4. the excess ferts cause the plants to stall in growth respect,
    7.0 is neutral & wont hurt anything
    the plants will begin to recover in a week or 2, providing you have flushed enough to leech the excess ferts

5. I just watered them yesterday, so im guessing most of the ferts are still in the soil. I have some fox farm ocean forest could i just go ahead and transplant them into the new soil after being flushed?

6. If you choose to transplant, that can actually be a faster recovery, ocean forest is good soil but dont feed the plant for 3-4 weeks or you see signs of defeciencies

it contains ferts!

7. Problem solved then Gangja. Ill post some pics eventually nothing exciting to look at yet.

8. Transplanted them into the ocean forest last night. Not a very good transplant the soil crumbled and i lost some roots but there was still a ton left, are they going to be okay? If this is too much stress on them should i just scrap them and start some new ones, i mean they were growing pretty good until i f'd up with the nutes. Ive looked at a ton of grow journals and they were growing just as fast as some of the nicest set ups ive seen and they arent that old so i may just scrap them i dont know. I just dont want to waste time on them if they are going to be super stressed and all turn male, but if they are going to be fine ill leave them.

9. if I were anxious about geeting to bud I'd take a sick plant "any day" over starting over from seed

Ive never had a plant not re-couperate after a transplant

just make certain everything that goes in the pots are ph corrected to 6.5 -6.8 ph

the ferts you use dont impress me for soil growing its more for hydroponics NPK: 2-1.5-4

you would do better using this:in 3-5 weeks after the soil ferts are used up

Vegatative cycle fertilizer
    Miracle-Gro® Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food (they make several fertilizers be sure its this one)
    http://www.miraclegro.com/index.cfm...t/documentId/637153cfaa6b1ff545c0236933b0a7a4
    Fertilizer Analysis: NPK:24-8-16 with micronutrients
    2 level "Teaspoons" per gallon of water, (reduce this by 50% first time application) use this as your water, feed every other watering till flowering

Flowering cycle Fertilizer
    I recommend Fertilome, Root Stimulator and plant starter....
    the NPK is perfect: 4-10-6
    2 teaspoons per gallon of water every other watering........ use this as your water ...discontinue use 3-4 weeks prior to harvest...flush last 2 weeks...I also like to add 1 tablespoon of unsulphured molasses to the last gallon of the flush......thats it no more water .....

10. Well, It has been a few weeks and the plants have recovered nicely from the burn. Still havent added any nutes yet but plan to transplant into bigger pots this weekend, veg a few more weeks then flower. I had another problem occur though, i think i topped them wrong actually i know i did and i cut too much off or something. Not really mad because its just a test run but out of the two i attempted to top one grew nothing back and one grew one small shoot out of the side where one was suppose to come out. So basically im wondering how this is affect the amount of bud its going to produce without a main cola. One of the plants i just let grow straight up and it looks really good. I will post pics soon when i begin to flower because its pretty boring just looking at them vegging. So anyways they look pretty bushy and ive trimmed them a few times hoping the side branches will continue to grow up towards the light. They are all about a foot tall perfectly green and still growing quickly but how will they be affected by the topping fuck up?

11. no worries another branch will always take charge and become top cola

12. werd. So I transplanted into some pretty big pots from walmart. Capacity is probly 3 to 4 gallons but Im glad i transplanted because I think they were beginning to get root bound but ive seen plants alot bigger than mine in smaller containers which is what i don't understand. The roots were growing completely around the edge of the soil and it was completely white on the bottom of the soil when i removed them from the pots they were in and root growth was beginning to poke out of the bottom of the pot. I think my plants just look small because ive trimmed so many of the fan leaves off which is okay isnt it? The fan leaves were monstrous and blocking all of the light to the lower part of the plant. I also wanted to know since ive transplanted again should i still hold off on the nutes until the plants use the nutes up out of the soil or something, or since they are so old now could they use them anyways? I will post pics on day 1 of flower but as far as I can tell they are growing perfectly as of now and i hope to harvest some dank ass nugz.

13. leave the leaves on.....think of those fan leaves as "bud engines"

as to the ferts , yes wait till the ferts are used in the soil, 3-5 weeks or you see a defeciency begin

14. Got bored and started a journal. I posted some pics so everybody let me know of easy things i can do to improve my grow. Everything looks pretty good as of now im hoping.