Repotting

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SensiDilla, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Hi,

Had troubles finding this on-line.
    I've a big overwatering problem with my seedling in coco, as the pot is extremely large for it (18lt).
    Is it possible to repot it in a smaller pot like a small cup or something? it is only 3 inches tall, maybe less, 3 weeks from sprout.
    If yes, how do i make sure i do not destroy roots in the transplant?

2. As of today.
    Anybody?

I am very tempted to call this off if I do not see any progress by the end of the week.
    I've seen way more unhealthy plant at this stage, i mean on-line. But this is on its 20th day.
    it's yellowing from the bottom. The stem is as thin as when it sprouted.
    I believe roots are rotting, that's why I would like to re-pot it in a smalller container. Maybe it would get more air and the coco would get less dense. It s probably very risky for the roots, I know.
    I don't know if it is even "possible" to repot from large pot to small, can't find it on-line, so sorry if it is a stupid question.
    I just hate to waste time and electricity, I'd rather start something else.

Lights, temperature and humidity are not the issues here. 2 x 30w cfl 20/4 at 4 inches away.
    The plant just went throughout a slight nute burn 1.5 weeks ago; i used very low conc. of nutrients (1/8) as coco requires nutrients asap.
    I generally watered too much and too often, the pot is too large and doesn't dry. 

What would you do?

Attached Files:

3. My suggestion is to transplant into soil. Coco is not for everyone, as it's a finicky medium. Get some decent organic soil with lots of aeration and be done with it.

4. #4 SensiDilla, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
    how do i transplant?
    as it is in a large pot. I don t know how much soil to take out. is it a problem if some roots get cut? i was thinking to take as much soil to fill a party cup or starbucks cup.

6. The rootball can't be that big, so just scoop around the plant in a 6 inch radius. Make sure you go as deep as you can when you scoop it up. Some root tips might tear, but it's not a big deal. As long as most of the root system is intact, it will recover. Put it into soil, water it thoroughly and leave it alone for about 5 days. That tiny plant does not drink much, especially under CFLs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. In terms of wasting electricity, you're using about £$0.22 per day, or about £$1.50 per week

If you were to re-pot them, what you could do it scoop out a big handful of the coco around the plant which should scoop out the roots too. Gently crumble away most of the excess coco, maybe hold it in your hands and wiggle your fingers, until you have a plant with some rots and a bit of coco caught up in them.  Then you can pot that in a pot as it if had been in a smaller one already.

Your new pot would be about half full or so of fresh medium, place the roots in the pot and add fresh medium to cover them and hold around the stem.  Lightly water it in, if soil just water or if coco in a smaller pot then 1/2 strength nutes. Then wait and see.

• Like Like x 2
  8. thank you .

Just in the middle of it.
    just transplanted into the starbucks  cup. now it is slightly benting to the right, as i  took off too much coco. i was very close to fuck it up badly, maybe i should have watered a bit before transplanting. it s done anyway. about to give it 1/2 nutes

• Like Like x 1
  9. #9 InkOnMyFanLeaves420, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    Just got your inbox message... I agree .. coco is your issue here.. aqnd lets not forget that coco needs ALOT of ammendments .. go grab some Fox farms Ocean Forest or Happy Frog.. i believe HF is the low feed .. IMMEDIATELY .. then cut a softball sized circle around the sprout and put those babies into the new soil. Make sure you look for local hydro shops as alot of them offer free root tea which will do WONDERS for these babies.. your main problem is that they have a low O2 and minimum nutes, Stump tea will fix this but you will still need to supplement it the whole way out .. i normally mix a lil coco in with the soil but never alone.. its to finnicky as said above. Your pre potting ammendments correct this. Dont throw them away they are stable just weak. You can brign them back . just dont use any HST techniques until late flower and get your hands on some stump tea .. Good luck bud