REP is a load of shit.

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by Spanishfly, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Can we opt out of this REP rubbish??? You could on the late lamented OG - yet another reason why OG was a million times better than this ersatz substitute.

It is like a load of immature schoolboys awarding (or removing) Gold Stars from each other.

I would much rather be able to make any points that I have without dickheads and fuckwits being able to add or subtract points from my \"supposed score\".

And there are plenty of them about.

Comment please mods. But I doubt that they will. (Other than to say some lame comment like if you don\"t like it then go somewhere else.)

2. If you dont like it just ignore it. I personaly dont really bother with it i dont give or subtract rep from nobody and i dont get much but it dont bother. somebody wants to give me negative rep i dgaf it dont bother me dont make me less of a nice guy or make me a dick headand if i had a lot of rep that wouldnt make me the best or most imformative guy on here. just ignore it, dont sweat the little things dude lol

3. internet popularity. :/

so lame.

4. In many ways you are very right. But what\'s even lamer are internet drama queens.

5. dude, it\'s been brought up a lot...meh.

6. IDK, I kind of like it beccause mine are greena nd thats my favorite color. haha

7. Exactly, this guy has 5 green bars, and hes complaining about it, theres some poeple on here with red bars that i dont think they deserved, but spanishfly gets neg repped a few times and bitches about it.
    GG.

8. Yeah, I opted out of it on OG myself. Oh well though...

9. lol im -18 points haha
    i could care less about rep, it\'s te internet
    i come on gc to look at some nice bud shots and some amazing grows (postman)

10. You get what you deserve, if you\'re nice or you help someone you can be rewarded. If you are a jerk, and post rude posts then people should be able to tell you you\'ve gone over the line.

You said rude things, so people gave you a -rep. Maybe instead of now whining about this you should reflect on some of the things you have posted in the past and see what about them could have been interpreted as rude, uncalled for, or derogatory.

Changing this behavior will most likely make you look more favorable in other blades eyes, as well as showing us that you aren\'t a complete jerk. If you\'re getting a whole bunch of - reps maybe it isn\'t everyone else who is being immature, maybe it\'s you.

11. agreed, but what do I know I only have one green square, mostly because most of my posts are from 03 and 04 before this rep thing started

12. You must not know that user too well. And also, I don\'t think he\'s complaining about receiving neg rep, but pointing out that it\'s pointless and should be optional.

Perhaps he just observed someone whining about it.

13. I mean obviously it\'s a load of shit, on the surface...but actually, I have to admit I\'ve enjoyed receiving rep from the ppl who take the time to write meaningful rep to me. It\'s just another way to connect, I guess...idk.

14. Lame thread and lame title bro. OG wasn\'t even in the same realm as GC. OG was rife with assholes and made the cannabis experience very fucked up at times. OG had some awesome features but it also had too many children and disruptive people. At least the people that make GC run do their damndest to make this place a whole lot friendlier.

As to the rep system, it\'s an open forum so there are bound to be abuses but this doesn\'t mean that the whole system should be scrapped. It\'s much more effective for people that believe in the values of GC to uphold them rather than push them to the side to appease a defeatist attitude. The rep system is a feature of this place not it\'s heart and deepest principles, if you\'re a contributing memeber in good standing why the fuck would you care?

Peace.

15. uh AK, as much as i love GC, its no where near as informative as OG was...and i think even GC officials can agree with that
    all forums have immature people and \"kids\" so i dont really get your point on how GC is ina diff realm than OG, if anything its the opposite.
    and how the hell does it affect your \"cannabis experience\"...
    ha

16. I\'m gonna give you some lame comment.

If you don\'t like it...

Go somewhere else.

Obviously you\'ve got a few bones to pick with Grasscity, the administration, and the users. The REP system has been discussed, debated, considered and reconsidered over and over again. As our friend
    AK Infinity noted, \"The rep system is a feature of this place not it\'s heart and deepest principles.\"

I utilize the rep system. If I agree with something someone said, or feel that their heart is in the right place when they make their opinion known, I\'ll throw them a bit of positive REP. If I feel someone made a bonehead post, or is blatantly disrespectful towards someone here in this community of marijuana-users, I\'ll neg rep them.

It\'s all in the eye of the beholder--If you don\'t like the rep system, ignore it. Once again, why does it even matter if you don\'t believe in it? If you can\'t ignore it, the City isn\'t the place for you.

-Nick

17. Listen, it is fine that you don\'t particularly like the rep system, but do not come to THESE forums talking about how much better some other forum was.

The rep system doesn\'t mean shit nowadays, i will give you that, simply because of all the rep abuse that has come about, but for now it is here, so get over it

Really, if you do not like it SO much, there is no one holding a gun to your head to be here

18. I don\'t give a crap about how much rep I have other than a) When I\'m high, I think I have little green nuggets of herb floating above my GC name, sometimes... b) I like reading the peoples thoughts when they give the rep.

The latter of which, obviously, being the more serious of the two.

Look guys, I\'ve never even received neg rep, so can\'t speak for people who have... but in most cases I\'ve seen, people usually deserve it. Some more than others obviously, but still. It\'s not like I\'ve had to come on here every day and think \"okay, gotta avoid getting neg repped\" (not that I\'m saying anyone else has, nor am I trying to brag...) and I\'ve still never got neg rep. It\'s not that hard to just NOT get neg repped, and it seems common to me that most people who wish the system removed have been neg repped, or at least neg rep is the reason they cite for removing it. If you got neg repped or even normal repped for a totally rediculous reason and just utterly disagree, send a PM to Rummy about it. I\'m sure she\'d be happy to check out your rep and fix the situation.

But there\'s plenty of reasons why I like the rep system, and I\'m not gonna go in to them as there\'s no winning this arguement or even getting through to the other side... I\'ve tried before with other people/threads.

My biggest point; If you take away rep, you\'re left with post count. Noobs, and immature assholes, LOVE to basically just start posting spam in order to get their post count up and make it look like they\'ve either been around awhile, or know what they\'re talkin about. So, take away rep, and you\'re sentencing yourself to something even worse IMO. You\'d have to take away rep, AND post count, and join date... and well, that\'s getting a bit extreme.

Edit; Tokin is right. We got enough shit from people here who claim to be part of our community, without people comparing it to others.

19. Ummmm, right that\'s what I meant by awesome features but you probably didn\'t make that connection, cool. I\'m looking at the situation in bigger terms and potential. In the end OG had too many negatives and not enough positives for my taste, which could be a reason for it not being around anymore, karma.

If that\'s your opinion bro, leave, it\'s just that simple. If you\'re unwilling to see the positives at GC I can’t imagine why you’d stay? As for me I\'m trying to think about what’s possible here and what we could do if we believed. Yeah there\'s immaturity on all forums but OG had it in spades. I\'m actually trying to differentiate between general immaturity and what was happening with that site.

How does it affect my cannabis experience? Knowing that there’s a group of people that could assist in making broad changes in the thinking of the mainstream about cannabis but instead defer to their baser instincts? Well... I guess if I were just a dope head that was out for himself it wouldn\'t matter in the least but there are issues at stake, good men and women are going to prison for long periods of time. If that doesn\'t affect you then I don\'t know what to say except, \"happy smoking\" I guess?

Everything\'s connected and the sooner we see that the better.

Stay green.<O:p</O:p

20. I\'m glad the rep system is in place so I can -rep you right now. If you don\'t like GC you can giiiiiiit out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.