remote ballast how-to?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by NtothePtotheK, May 18, 2007.

1. I want to grow some *ahem* tomatoes. First time I used fluoros, lousy yield, but learned a lot. Now I want to go HID. Long ago, I read a great guide for disassembling a single fixture and rebuilding it with a remoted ballast, I can't find it anywhere. I used the search feature in multiple categories, checked out some of the faqs, guides, browsed threads, googled it... I'm not able to find what I'm looking for.

I have little to no electrical engineering skills, but I follow guides/directions pretty well and I can wire stuff up, no problem. Could someone point me in the right direction?

My supplies:

A 175W MH bulb

A 175W Metal Halide ballast "replacement kit". That only includes a multitap transformer (120/208/240/277), and a capacitor. Not the newer pulse-start kind, so no ignitor/starter included. Do I need something else? Spec sheet (PDF)

A few metres of "SJ" 3 conductor shielded cable, 12 gague 300V (appropriate?)

A 3 prong (grounded) male plug end (for standard 120V wall socket)

A ceramic mogul base-socket (salvaged from a 1000W HPS train station lamp fixture, but I figure it's sufficient to use with my 175W MH setup).

An electrical project box with room for an additional DC transformer and computer fan

This

I'll admit I could have looked harder, but some of you veterans might know off the top of your head.... please help? Thanks so much!

-n2p2k

2. It's really easy, connect the black wire from the plug to the wire that says 120v on the transformer. If there is only 1 common wire coming from the transformer then connect the white wire from the plug and the white wire from the socket to it. If there are 2 common wires on the transformer then wire the socket's white wire to one and the plugs white wire to the other. Connect the red wire from the capacitor to the transformer and the red/blk wire to the socket.

That cable is more than enough, normal 16 gauge extension cord doesn't even get warm running a 1000w hps.

3. Thanks! I'll let you know how I do :)

-----------------
    edit: THIS THREAD is what I was looking for :) der on me :)