Religion.. what are your views??

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by RizzosmacK, May 23, 2007.

1. Religion has never really been a big part of my life. i myself dont beleive in it one bit. i guess youd call me atheist. my thought is that religion was made up by some very smart people waaaay back in the day in order to gain power in some sort of monarchy political deal. i dunno really, but i feel that in many ways if religion were not around many many wars would never have taken place. i also think that if it were not for religion many laws would not be in place as they now are.

this thread was not meant to offend anybody in any way, im just curious of what other people think..

2. Wrong forum, man.

3. well im jewish and i think that there is a god. i believe in adam and eve but also evolution, sorta hard to explain. i believe that god works in mysterious ways.

i dont know what to say about wars though. there has been killing since cane and able*(sp?) but i dont have a say in what god thinks about it, i dont htink its my role to say what god thinks

4. Religion was created during the infancy of our species to explain things....natural disasters, diseases, etc. It also also abused and manipulated fear of the masses. This is 2007. We don't need it anymore.

Watch Christopher Hitchens absolutely tool on Al Sharpton. Then will you really understand.

5. Where can I see that? I've seen him on CNN a few times and he always makes me laugh.

Not only is he articulate and scathing, but he is genuinely witty too.

6. http://fora.tv/fora/showthread.php?t=1007

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nice. Thanks for the link :smoke:

8. I believe religion tries to make a club out of beliefs and of course you are going to have problems if you aren't free to believe what you will.

No, believe THIS way! That is the ticket to heaven!

:rolleyes:

There is nowhere else to me but heaven and hell and all that is inbetween. I'm already here, and I'm not going anywhere but to and from realms based on my decisions.

No one is beneith or above you, preaching is just not my thing.

9. I believe in the good book but do I follow it? No. I realize the consequences of my actions according to my faith. If I were to be into religion, it would definately be closely related to the Pentacostal movement. Yet again, I think people focus to much on the name and not the meaning. Religion is tiresome, true faith is beautiful. Call yourself a baptist, a catholic, or a pentacostal, that doesn't matter, as long as you have truth and faith in that truth.

10. "Faith is the belief in something you know ain't true." - Mark Twain

11. I'm an atheist. Now let me get my notebook for my explanation. Okay, found it, here we go.

I'm an atheist, not because I don't fear God's almighty wrath, but because I answer to no one. When the 'afterlife' comes and I burn for my sins, I won't care. I will suffer an eternity of punishment. I will have lived in my brief time on this earth knowing that I called no one master and answered only to myself. If that is wrong, so be it. I will have lived more passionately than anyone that worries about what comes after. I live for the now. It was always worth it.

Pretty long winded, yes I know, and its all assuming that there is actually a God.

12. i believe in evolution, thats about it...

13. Personally I think religion (as in christianity, mosaic faith and islam) is just astrology in disguise. Sun worship shrouded in mysticism. The personification of stellar objects, in attempt to make them more "down to earth". I might very well make a thread explaining this to greater length. However that will take some effort, there is a lot of concepts that need to be explained, and a lot of sources that need to be organized, not to mention picking out the best examples and still keep it rather short and sweet.

A project in other words.

But in the mean-time and more on-topic:

"The extent of Christian stupidity and of Christian ignorance would have been the most unaccountable of all the phenomena of the universe, if its own history had not supplied the account. Men have been trained to prefer ignorance to learning, and have chosen to be driven mad and wild by faith, rather than to be instructed, enlightened and improved by reason and philosophy" - Rev. Robert Taylor (Devil's Pulpit, 1830 AD)

"In no land or literature has the mythical mode of representation been perverted and reduced to driveling foolishness more fatally than in some of the Hebrew legends" - Gerald Massey (Ancient Egypt - Light of the World, 1907)

14. if there were 2 opposing people trying to sell me cars, it would be the same as 2 opposing people trying to sell me religion.

they actually have booths at county fairs to try and sell religions. it disgusts me.

15. Personally I'm catholic, but I'm a very flexable christian and have certain doubts about a few things.

“Doubt is part of all religion. All the religious thinkers were doubters.”

- Isaac Bashevis Singer

Above all, I believe in a God. I believe the simplest way to define faith is the art of acceptance in spite of your changing moods. For me, my beiefs wern't forced on me at all, i never went to church growing up. my faith is more personal than anything, I suppose my family's religious views have influenced mine in ways but my faith is the result of internal choice.

“Faith is not trying to believe something regardless of the evidence; faith is daring something regardless of the consequences”

- Sherwood Eddy

This thread is most likely going to become controvercial so I'll bust out a personal favorite quote of mine:

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

- Einstein

16. I personally am a Satanist. No, it doesnt involve killing babies, raping virgins, drinking blood, worshipping the cristian devil or any of that shit.

Rather then me wast my time trying to explain it, just go here and read for about ten minutes, you'll likely learn something...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVeyan_Satanism

Though, I mostly disregard the religious elemants and dogmatism in favor of its Hedonistic, Egotistical philosophy. While I often wear the mark of Satanist my beliefs are purely Agnostic in that "I dont believe it is possible to know if God does, or does not exist".

17. Wow, I completely disagree. Doubt is part of being human. Religion does not allow for reason and logic, and questions that come from doubt. Even through faith the doubter can somehow find the power to believe to the fullest extent something so absurd.

18. I think it was more aimed at that everyone doubts every once in a while or most do. No one could ever convince me that there isn't a god, but I have doubted before. Please don't preach to me ignorance because you can't disprove something to me.

• Like Like x 1