Religion The Source Of All Evil?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by semprfidelis, May 21, 2014.

1. Put aside your religion and what you think you may know for a minute. Let's look at religion as a whole. Now I don't believe that all religion is bad I'm talking about the center of things. And not all religion claims certain things some are just peaceful. But What better way to take control of people than to tell them that an invisible man in sky will send you to hell to burn for an eternity? One thing I've learned growing up Christian is that god needs one thing the most. MONEY. I don't want to go to deep on what I believe as what I believe stands firm. I am curious to what you all think? Even if you don't want to talk bad about your own religion I'm sure you can blame the Muslims or vice versa. Is religion not the center of all corruption/wars/hatred in this earth?

What would life be like if we all just believed in NASA and donated to help build a spaceship to take us to the next galaxy instead of a new church on every street corner?

2. you should refine your question probably. of course religion isnt the source of all evil which you even seem to agree with.

does it slow down human progress? yeah it definitely does imo, but dependent on what your definition of human progress is. i think if people were less focused on religion and instead focused on human betterment we would be better off as a species.

3. The source of evil exists in the mind, it's all a matter of interpretation.

4. I don't mean that everything done bad is an act of religion but I do believe it started the whole thing. I'm pretty baked so it's hard to write down what I'm thinking over the years in a few words but just look at history. Mass killings, crusades, sacrifices, ect... Even today we will kill over religion. In the old times you go against a god and you would die. Just like early astronomers being killed over suggesting that we aren't the center of the universe. What it does is make humans think we are special. And a means to justify ones actions and to bring fourth judgement onto another.

Put a gay baby a black baby and a white baby all in the same room and they will play together till the ends of times. Raise one in a Catholic Church and things don't work that way.

5. Wouldn't money be the source of evil then? That seemed to be the conclusion you reached

6. #6 Heroic Dose, May 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014
    religion is just a collection of ideas. people raped, murdered, stole, even warred before religion. sure it inspired some of what has happened but it didn't start any of it.

its just reason and (for some) justification.

7. Actually, literally speaking...And figuratively...People are the source of evil.  Ideas don't make the man, the man makes the ideas. :cool:

8. I believe in NASA! Hell, the coolest memories I have are of living in Deltona as a youngin' and running outside to watch the rocket ships blast off in to space.

Those memories have shaped my life immensely. If I'm feeling weighed down and stuck in a rut, I can think back to the wonder and excitement I was filled with watching these fantastic achievements of human ingenuity and spirit from my own driveway. I can say shit, "If we can blast off hundreds of thousands of pounds of metal off in to space, I can sure as hell pick my ass up and live a better tomorrow."

9. Not the source of all evil, but the tool used to accomplish much of it

10. #10 iAmBetty, May 21, 2014
    This I sort of agree with

Some money given to churches or religious organizations is spent for good causes, and then a lot of it is spent on total bullshit

That guy Bill Nye debated, forgot his name, had something like $70 mil spent on a giant replica Ark/museum or some stupid shit. Imagine if that money got put to good use

11. #11 White Indian, May 21, 2014
    Wow, you're understanding of anthropology is atrocious. Before legislative law, people followed oral law (a very flimsy code of conduct to say the least) and solved personal injustices with blood feuds. And the first law givers, who based their laws on behavior and not theology, were insanely strict, unreasonable and harsh. To put it simply, people were plenty busy killing, raping and torturing each other before religion came along. They also had very little problem organizing their atrocities, either. And if religion is the root of evil, then where did it come from? I mean, wouldn't the source of religion be the real root of evil?

Also, if it is a rule that religious people are ignorant, bloodthirsty monsters bent of control and power over others, then why am I (as well as millions of other religious people) not like that? And if you aren't actually saying it's a rule for the religious to be evil, then what the fuck are you even talking about? History has proven that there are many other ways--more efficient ways--to enslave the masses, so why's religion so different.

12. Religion is not the source of evil. That's just silly.

Tool of evil maybe. But humans are the source

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Yea I was pretty baked when I wrote this and realized I stated what I was thinking wrong. I was really heated at the time after being personally told that I'm spreading the work of the devil and a low life who takes mind altering drugs(Marijuana only). And this was from a person who's all about faith and thinks they are holy a person and yet can't see how hateful they really are. And then religion can make millions hate others for stupid reasons.

Like said it's more of a tool but it just sickens me that people honestly believe that it's 100% holy and that just because they are a good person and go to a good church that we didn't kill people who weren't Christian during the crusades.

14. Human-nature.......If it wasn't religion...it'd be something just like it.

The need for power and control...that's the true culprit.

All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone. ~Pascal