Rehabilitation over Prison, for all crimes

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Eric_Fortis, Apr 1, 2010.

1. In the end, we are all human and must accept each others individuality and respect one another as well. Just because we don't understand, doesn't mean we should criticize. Instead, let us reason and seek truth together, put all our differences aside. That is, of course, if you want to prosper and live a happy life..., or we will become the very monsters we strive not to become.

I've been thinking lately, and I have come to a conclusion. Prison is not the answer, to anything.

You have to ask yourself why people do what they do, instead of just hiding the problem. Why do people rape? Why do they steal? Why do they murder? All these questions can be answered, but Prison is not that answer.

There is no real definition of right and wrong, right and wrong as defined by your own perspective. A small tribe in Africa (just an example) that sacrifices babies as some sort of ritual are not evil. They believe what they do is right, and who are we to tell them they are wrong?

Setting rules for a society is natural. If people don't follow the rules, should we throw them away? Or should we properly educate them on what we believe is right? If an expensive computer breaks, do you throw it away without looking at it? Or do you try to fix it? If they disagree completely, and refuse to obey, we must understand why they refuse. Instead of "Oh, what a little shit. Let's lock them up!" we should continue to educate them.

In a Rehab situation, they would be in Rehabilitation as long as it takes. We must not brainwash, we must let them accept it. If we show enough loving, compassion, and understanding, it will eventually get through to them. What is a better way to teach? A punch in the face or a thoughtful explanation tinted with loving and understanding? If someone refuses to accept a thoughtful explanation, we must ask ourselves, "Why?". People are different, they are not cookie-cutter copies.

We must delve into the mind and psyche of a person who "breaks the rules". We must study their life, discover what role society played in the moulding of their mind. Discover how they were raised, what friends they had. Basically, we must discover why they are they way they are.

Right now, in today's society, I do not believe this is very possible. We need to speak out. It only takes one person to save the world.

Prison does not solve crime. Understanding solves crime.

2. u know i completely agree, i feel the judicial system in our country has gone to shit and needs to be reworked. Prisons have become too much of a business scheme rather than a place to help those that have committed to change. When people are sentenced they're given ridiculously long sentences and u think that will help one change in the long run? no of course not, i feel as long as someone (most people) is alive there is always hope for them changing and bettering themselves and possibly others. What if a man had the potential alot of good in the world but was locked up for countless burglary convictions, would u not want to help them and potentially lead them towards the life that will help themselves and others? Rehab is a good way to help those who have gone astray from there goals in life to get back on that path. I like your thinking

3. It is a proven fact that harsh punishment creates higher recidivism rates.

I wish I could find this article about Norway / Scandinavia and recidivism rates.

4. I wish it were true, I wish I could believe that every problem could be talked out. I'm against imprisonment on any drug-related crime, so I agree with you there completely. However there are some extremely sick people who just can't be reasoned with. There are people that are exactly like Alex DeLarge (A Clockwork Orange) and I have actually spoken with some of them. These people don't operate at the same level as us and have a very disgusting outlook on life.

But I'm definetly in full support of discovering a method of (re)humanizing them.

5. rehab for all crimes? no.

If a guy breaks into my house and robs me, I want his ass PUNISHED, not rehab'd. Now, if they have programs to teach him some skill or whatever so he can be a decent human being when he gets out in 10 years, that's fine, but he needs to do the time.

As for drug rehab instead of prison, I don't agree with the idea of anyone being *forced* to enter rehab. Rehab is something that you have to want to do, if you don't, it's a waste of time. This goes along with my belief in that all drugs should be legal if we consider our country to be "free". If you have no control over your own body, you're a slave, period.

6. So if you don't want to go to prison, it's a waste of time?

7. hmmm idk man, just for robbing a house and a guy gets 10 years? thats ridiculous, hes gonna be way pissed off when he gets out and hes gonna hurt someone instead

8. Watch this: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGTzbj3fRSw]YouTube - Michael Moore in Norway[/ame]

Rehabilitation leads to lower recidivism rates.

9. no, prison is for punishment and to keep dangerous people away from society.

rehab is for people with problems

there's a pretty big difference.

Though if someone wants to get rehab WHILE they're in prison, that's fine.

10. Everyone has problems.

11. There are legitimately dangerous people that need to go away forever or even be executed. Dont let the ridiculousness of MJ laws or the drug war cloud the fact that sometimes there are people who need to be separated from Society like the animal that they are. And even if they could be rehabilitated, they dont deserve to be. They need to be all done.

12. ^^^ This

13. There are arguably a few people who at least need to put away for AWHILE, or at least until they can be reliably demonstrated through extensive psychological tests (and gradual increase in freedom) that they are safe to live in society. These are serial killers, rapists, etc. However, even the average murderer or armed robber is just someone pushed too far that can be rehabilitated fairly easily if their situation changes. People might not want this because they want REVENGE, but the point of justice is not REVENGE, it is the best possible outcome for all. Even if there is an occasional fuck up, the system of rehabilitating criminals over punishment is far superior to punishing them, because putting someone away for longer than is actually necessary (regardless of what the law says) is immoral and unfairly infringes upon that person's rights. And yes, EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO BE TREATED FAIRLY. Murderers shouldn't just be locked up for life without a damn good reason to believe that they have a significant chance at committing more of the same crime.

It's funny how we are against the death penalty, but okay with throwing someone away for life and telling them in essence that they are hopeless. The latter is much much worse of a fate.

14. One of my favorite things to talk about is prison reform.

Prison should be about rehabilitation, not so focused on punishment. By having prison focused on punishment, we are not allowing criminals any chance to succeed in the future upon release.

I don't think that all criminals can be reformed and rehabilitated, but much criminal behavior is learned, and if given the proper opportunities it's possible to reintroduce criminals successfully into society.

However, rehabilitation is not enough, people's attitude towards people who have been convicted of a crime needs to change - they need to be allowed access to work where they can make a living wage, and the skills and education needed to procure such jobs is something that needs to be addressed and provided in prison.

People who commit a crime should be punished, and do have a debt to pay to society, we have rules and norms that are translated into laws to maintain peace and order -- so I don't believe in abolishing the prison system, simply changing it.

The sad thing is that many people don't realize that punishments don't fit the crimes being committed, someone who commits a murder is not necessarily the person who is most likely to commit another crime when/if they reenter society and those are things that need to be kept in mind as well. Sadly people are grossly misinformed and undereducated about the criminal mind and recidivism as well as the prison system.

We are the only species that puts their own kind in cages.

15. I'm just curious... in your system, how will we know when we've "gotten through to them"?

Is it when they say that they are rehabilitated and will never do naughty things ever again? :confused:

16. Obviously not, its through careful monitoring and tests and whatnot. Remember that if we actually target the problem, listen to the person, and change their life (or at least get them significantly in the right direction), theyre not likely to reoffend anyway. I think people dont realize that me, you , or anyone else on the street could be driven far enough to commit murder in the wrong situation, though we all do have our stress thresholds and its probable that people who commit violent crimes have a low one.