Refiltering res water

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Sirtootsalot, Jun 20, 2018.

?

Will it work?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. I'm curious too

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. So im living in an area that has a lot of water issues (socal) I've been trying to figure out a way to stop using so much water in my hydroponic garden. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried using a pump and two stage or ro filter to clean all the nutrients out of the water and reuse the water, simply adding new nutrients in?
    Do you think it would work, or are the nutrients dissolved in the water and using an inline filter won't be a deep enough clean to reuse it. I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions on this...

2. Like sea water, nutes are mostly salts dissolved in water.
    Just as salt can't be easily removed from sea water, neither can nutes be removed from res water.
    Filtering won't work at all.

3. Yeah, had the feeling you'd need to boil it or something. Now that I think about it, it's a no brainer.

4. Nah, that much nutrient going though your RO will just nuke the RO membrane really fast. And you'll be losing a fair bit of it to waste too. Better just to RO your regular water. If you really wan't to reuse that water build or buy a distiller which boils water and re-condenses it. That will do a job at getting rid of most of the salts etc. But it will scale up pretty fast and they use a fair bit of power.

5. Yeah, think I've tossed the idea. Not gonna pull out the disolvable salts, and seems like a big pita. Thanks for taking the time to respond guys.

6. I know so cal isn't getting to much rain but it might be benifical to collect as much as you can so your not using it out of the faucet.

7. It's illegal to do it in my town in nv

8. God knows its probably illegal here too. Everyone wants to tell you what you can and can't do. Just heard California is getting a 55 gallon a day cap on water, and that made me start to wonder...

9. It those damn almond groves those farmers are growing and using all the water out of the la aqua duc coming from the north.

10. Thats what i'm starting to do. I'm collecting the water off my shed roof but its not rained in a week or so. I tested my rain water at 90ppm and my tap water is 250ppm.

11. Wish it was possible to collect rain water where I live. Guess I'm stuck paying the crooks. Damn almond farmers lol.

12. I don't get how harvesting rainwater is illegal. Thats mind boggling. Its free and falls from the sky! I'd just do it anyway, whats the worst that can happen. I doubt the court would care if you were just harvesting a small water tank in your yard.

13. It might be ok, just where I live in my situation I can't do it. If I had the space I would definitely do it and act like I didn't know.