Reef Build thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Budder81, Jul 28, 2008.

1. 10 gallon reef tank

Initial cost $200 for tank, light, filter, heater, powerheads, live sand, salt and rock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

About a week later, the dust cleared. Using distilled water ONLY for waterchanges, about 1 gallon a week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Almost a month, this where certain algae colonize, making the tank look bad and murky.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some Corals
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 months later (Total spent on corals and shrimp about $150-200)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 months later ($10 a month on distilled water, $5 on food)
    [​IMG]

Recent
    My first bought shrimp, the cleaner shrimp
    [​IMG]
    Saron shrimp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wow that seems pretty cool, I've never heard of anything like that. You're the deity of your own little ecosystem! It's certainly aesthetically pleasing as well; the colors are gorgeous

3. can you eat those shrimps..they look tasty

4. Fucking sweet tank, man. +rep.

Heres mine, that I got about 2 months ago...
    [​IMG]

5. Sick tank dog. Saltwater is nice! i just upgraded my tank from a 10 to a 30G. I'll take pics of it later. We def gota start the "fish tank" thread. I got African Cichlids. I think i see a clown fish in yours, either way you fixed it up good!

i know it gets kinda expensive setting everything up but its worth it. Nice fish tanks are great to look at

6. kick ass!

i had areef tank years back, but a mantis shrimp fucked everything up for me.
    I think i may start one up again..

what kind of lighting are you guys running? I think i had a 250w MH light and it worked pretty well.

7. Damn guys, these things are badass!

I've never come across a reef tank before, I think I might try and start one up someday after seeing this pictures though, I could stare at something like that for an age, colours and such are beautiful!

8. kick ass dude! I've always wanted to start a saltwater tank

9. yeah man.. they're way cool. It's so great watching all the stuff grow on the live rock.
    after the initial expebnse,they're pretty easy to maintain imo.

10. Thanks for the kind comments all!

The shrimp is edible, but you wouldn't even get a sushi size piece from this tiny crustacean, plus he's too cool. He will attempt to clean my fingers if my hands are in the tank, that's what they do in the wild, clean fish.

I would think stoners and fish tanks mix well, as all my stoner friends enjoy my tanks. I have 2 other tanks at the moment, but not picture worthy, just some guppies as live food and some south american cichlids in a 60 gallon with a divider to house my baby turtle. The ciclids are Jack Dempsey and Brichardi (which the juveniles protect newer generations of babies, unknown in fish).

If you want to start a saltwater reef, I'd recommend freshwater first, as reef requires more experience, patience, and sometimes money.

It's a very rewarding hobby, everytime I'm stoned at home, I look into the reef tank and examine all the tiny life I see foraging in the rocks.

11. nice work
    patience is a virtue

12. Nice lookin tank. You took a game with the hexagon tank there, tsarone. Those are probably some of the worst tanks to try and do a reef with.

ATM I don't have any sw tank up, but I do have my 55g freshwater tank of exodon paradoxus in. Pretty ill fish, go google them. :p But I work at a Aquarium services store (Big Al's) and maintain all our tanks and shit there. Our display tanks we have...

260g reef
    90g planted
    1100 shark/sw predators tank
    14g biocube reef
    26g bowfront FOWLR

Yea, they definitely do mix well. When my friends are over and I drop a fish in my tank and they see my little guys peck at it until all it's scales fly off and it looks like someone dropped a tub of glitter in my tank, they love it.

However, your Jack Dempsey is a SA cixchlid, but a Brichardi (Neolamprologus brichardi) is from East Africa and has much different water parameters than a Jack dempsey, so be careful.

13. Looks like I'm saving for one now!

14. Thanks for correcting me. Yes brichardi are africans, my mistake. I understand cichlids from different areas have different communication skills, but they have been housed together for about a year, and the smaller brichardi has no problems holding his own.

Exodons are verry interesting, I wanted to keep some, but never had any free tanks for just them. I did keep some pygocentrus, serrasalmus (my favorites) and even an african tigerfish (only a juvie, they get too large).

15. nice man, looks really cool.

i used to walk by this one in a lawyers office window every night on the way home

would just get stuck on it
    so mesmorizing.

16. Nice, nice. I'm in the process of setting up a fast-flowing stream biotype in my 60g drilled. I was planning on having huge amounts of flow and just large schools of small fish that loooove fast-flowing water.........BUT

I saw a beautiful flowerhorn at my work and snatched him up and threw him in there instead. He's gorgeous.

Your 10g is nice though, good work. If I set up a little 10g I'd probably do it for a mantis shrimp.:devious:

17. Flowerhorns are cool, but they always remind me of putbulls (I dislike em). I had a few horns tho, none of which grew the nochual (sp) hump or kok.

I would want a mantis shrimp, but not in a glass tank, the force from their forearms can equal a .22 calibur bullet, easily shattering glass or bone.

Sigh one day I will do a biotope, It's just hard figuring out which species belong in which biotope. Also, a sealed biotope is a dream (one you can't open to feed, it must feed itself).

18. wow. i've never seen a reef tank before. that's pretty fuckin awesome. and your shrimp are really cute. i may need to invest in one. they're pretty cool to look at.

19. thats really nice. saltwater is costy. im going to get a 20 gal. freshwater and have some frontosas and i dont know what else any suggestions?