Red Stems

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Rustybudz84, Dec 13, 2016.

1. hey there, I'm wondering if anyone could help me diagnose what's up with my first attempt at an indoor grow. Any help would be awesome! My setup is a 2x2.5x7 gorilla tent with a 6" exhaust. I'm running two viperspectra 600 watt leds and keeping the humidity at 50 via humidifier and humidistat control and temps been averaging 70-81 degrees Hi lo. I've used fox farm soil and nutes as directed over the last two weeks.

Last few days I've noticed a lot of redness and purple on the stems of my white widow and critical mass plants. Here's a few pics. Any ideas what may be causing this? Is this a big problem?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pics 1 and 2 are Critical Mass. 3 and 4 White Widow. About 15 days sprouted.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. The leaves look a little dry, is there any yellowing or have they turned darker green? I can't tell because of the led light.
    If the leaves are stiff to the touch and not wilting or soft, it might be phosphorous deficiency. You might also have the beginnings of light burn, since it looks like the plant isn't leaving much spacing between nodes. Not entirely sure though so I'd get a second opinion!

4. The reason your leaves are looking curled and deformed is at least due in part to over misting. If you want to mist, do it once a day and very lightly, preferably in the morning when the plant is cool. You want to spray a fine mist along the blade of the leaves to allow droplets to be magnetically pulled to the bottom of the leaves, soaking them all the time will cause swelling and soft tissue that makes an easy target for pest and fungus infestations. Foliar feedings are beneficial as well but should be applied only 2-3 times weekly and in the same manner described above.

The petiole discoloration is likely from a mild nutrient overdose, very common when you start seeds in soil that is pretreated with nutrients. It shouldn't indicate anything too serious, but keep an eye on it to see if it spreads to the main stems and branches.

Not really...

5. [​IMG]

Here's a look in better light. I think I've been overwatering. I'll be letting the pot dry out for a few days.

There is very little space between nodes on both plants. Should I move the light up? I am running 2 600 watt equivalent led full spectrum at 26" above the plants..

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

6. Add epsom to you girl it's magnesium deficiency. It can be mixed in do water up to 650ppm it will go away also spray with it. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7. Do you have good circulation? One of my plants last year got light burn from about 2 feet away with a 45 watt full spectrum led. The problem then was I wasn't venting my tent at all, so my plant would use up all the CO2 in there then start getting light burn from the lights.
    Food for though, it seems like microbepro knows what he's talking about though

8. Whenever I get red leaves or purple stems it's a sign of circulation problems and stress. Plants exhibit this by a red waterleaf stem or a purple main stem. I have even sprinkled Epsom salts on the top of my soil and watered it in. It always helps plants settle in. [​IMG]

9. Could it be possible to be mag-cal deficient this soon? I have used fox farm soil and nutes as directed. Should I still add Epsom salts?
    This is probably a dumb question but how would I mix right to make a proper ppm mix? I.e. How much water to salt mixture in a gallonn of water?

10. Hit it at 600 ppm magnesium from Epsom salts from your pharmacy. Look at my albums. A foilar will do good too. It will only help ya.

11. Post an update photo? I'd love to know if the problem got solved!

12. [​IMG][​IMG]

Have treated the plant with an Epsom salt spray and added some to the soil. Still doesn't look great... hoping it greens and perks up a bit.

13. [​IMG]

Here's another plant starter at the same time, different strain. Looks much better.

Here's a few babies that are exhibiting the same types of growth as the problematic plant. Any suggestions?? This is my first indoor attempt and could use any and all guidance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. When I use a nutrient rich soil with seeds, I like to fill two thirds of a solo cup with soil and the rest with Coco. Works like a charm.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk