red and blue walls

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by W.A. grower, Dec 28, 2006.

1. when you see some thing that is red or blue the reason is that the color pigments reflect the blue light...same with red
    so if i were to paint my grow room blue in veg and red in flower would it have an effect on the plants?

2. flat white is the best for your plants

3. just go with white, cuz otherwise ppl would have discovered by now that blue and red walls would work better for growing than white.

remeber white reflects. other color "eats" (absorbs) light and turns it to heat

4. white reflects all light (visible), if it were blue it would reflect only blue light and if it were red it would reflect only red light and it would absorb the rest. that absorbtion (is that a word? i dont care im using it anyway) is what you are looking to avoid

5. This is actually really interesting I think...

In theory, this should work... But I mean, weed doesn't just like pure blue, or pure red... It's been shown that these relative spectrums are good for the plants in some stage... It would be interesting to pin point exactly what part of the spectrum is the best though... It could be a whole new thing... finding the perfect colour of wall.

The only problem is that if you planned to just use wide spectrum lighting, and because most is absorbed, it'd be pretty inefficient. And I mean... It's more of a hassle to do this than just switch a couple bulbs... especially if you're just using flouros.

So, I think it'd work... But I think you'd need a lot more lumens, and it's not worth it... However, if you're a mad scientist... or like, a really intense grower, this would make for a really interesting expiriment I think... Clone a plant, and get in it like 16 hues of blue painted cabs, and grow... Document the whole thing... have each with wide spectrum lighting...

This would be very cool.

6. maybe have the walls all colors of the rainbow and make it all tie dye lookin
    that shit would trip me out:smoking:

7. Couldn't agree with you more

8. yo ....it mite help alot....because the new technology LED lighting systems consist of blue and green and red and orange lights .......whi wouldnt it HElp a little more if you had reflective walls....give it a try.....but some foil....or shiny sheet metal on the floor under your baskets.....it helps....alot if u have the walls AND floor....its what i do

9. just hanging mylar on the wall tripped me out,, wavy reflectiveness all over..

10. Maybe if your spray painted mylar lighty, so it still had reflective properties.
    It might work.

11. It would have adverse effects. Blue walls ABSORB blue light red walls ABSORB red light. White walls reflect all light. So why would you have blue walls other then to reduce blue light?

12. Quite the contrary actually, a blue wall REFLECTS blue light and absorbs other colors, and a red wall would REFLECT red light and absorb all other colors. That is why the wall looks BLUE or RED to the naked eye, because that is the only color temperature being reflected off the wall to your eye.

But like Justin was saying, you'd have to find the perfect hue to actually have some benefit. Would make for a very interesting experiment.

Edit: Haha, well as I think about it more, this would be very doable, but difficult. If some crazy grower actually wanted to take advantage of this, they would just have to paint a bunch of surfaces with different hues of red and blue, and compare the spectrums being emitted from the walls to match the best spectrum for your current stage of growth. I say someone tries it! As for me, I will stick with Mylar; definitely the best way to go!

13. Oh my bad

14. Painting a wall blue WON'T increase your blue spectrum, it'll only decrease all the other spectrums, making it seem as though blue has increased. You'll have the same or even LESS blue spectrum, and a huge decrease in total light(+ a proportionate increase in heat). The same applies for red aswell. Outside a gradual shift from blue to red can be measured over the course of the seasons, this is due to the light rays passing through the ozone at different angles thereby increasing the amount of ozone they must traverse to get to the ground. The farther light travels, or the more interference it fights, the greater the shift into the red spectum. But it's a relatively small change. This effect is much more apparent in deepsea life where creatures' camoflauge has adapted to take advantage of this fact. It's also almost the entire basis for the theory that the universe is expanding (virtually every celestial body is shifting farther to red spectrum) but back to the topic! The only possible use for this technique (and SLIM possibilty at that) would be to shock plants that are refusing to flower by "scaring" them into responding to end of growing season red shift. It is FACT that plants rely on blue for veg, and rely on red for flowering, this is due to natural availability. It is FACT that plants use the change in day/night cycle to indicate when to flower. It is BELIEVED that plants may also use the spectrum shift as a flowering indicator. If you are a follower of this BELIEF (as I am), then veg with an MH and switch to a normal HPS for flowering, this is a much closer aproximation of natural light shift than you'll get from painting your surfaces different colors.
    To make an extremely long post short: stick to white or mylar, colored paints are not your friend!

:love: to you all

15. I kinda believe what TLC said, but i'd still like to see a experiment.

16. You can get red mulching film that is used on tomatoes and strawberrys they say it increases production by 12-20% it would be interesting to see if it did the same for pot.