Recovery from nutrient deficiencies.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by The Budfather, May 23, 2010.

1. I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere:

How long would it take before a plant shows signs of recovery for nutrient deficiency? I had it pretty bad, not quite sure what it was, maybe nitrogen, but I've nuted and transplanted to a better soil and was wondering how long before the plant will start looking better?

This is so that if I haven't fixed the problem I can start looking ASAP for the right treatment.

2. Depending on the deficiency, affected areas will never recover. You need to keep an eye on the new growth, assuming there is any.

3. Ahh thanks alot! Helps alot. Just some browning on a couple of leaves hopefully won't spread since I've nuted and given proper soil.
    If it spreads then I'll know to continue looking for the cure.

4. #7 akhans, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2010
    I highly doubt you had a deficiency. 9 times out of 10 it's a Ph problem.

Without being in the proper ph range (6.3-6.8 for soil) your plant can't absorb the nutrients and they begin to build up as salts which can kill your plants. That being said, the best action to take when you see a "deficiency" is to flush your soil with Ph adjusted water to get the salts out as well as get your soil in the proper Ph range. Then and only then should you add more nutes.

Do you Ph test?

5. I'll be pH testing ASAP, but unfortunately not at the moment. I can 'get' some amateur pH testing from my Chemistry lessons, only litmus paper and universal indicator so nothing accurate and wouldn't really help that much.

Hasn't seem to spread, just a bit of crispiness/rusting of outside of two leaves.

6. Litmus paper may not be the most accurate way to test, but it's better than nothing. What kind of soil are you using? I forgot to mention that if you soil with time release nutes (aka most Miracle Grow products) then a flush could actually make the problem worse because all the nutrient balls would burst at once flooding your plant with 3 months worth of nutrients.

7. BioBizz, it's soil (20%), compost (35%), worm castings (10%) and Perlite (30%) as well as a special 'pre-mix' (5%) of biologically active organic ingredients that have been fermented for a month to create a potent mixture. I transplanted into it two days ago.

Universal indicator would be better than litmus paper. Going to be getting an accurate pH tester as soon as I can until then I'll have to get by.