recommend a book series?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Karcus, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Hey guys... I'm not really an avid reader but am looking for a new series to read...

I have read and enjoyed...

-Harry potter
    -Twilight (can't reread after watching the movies:eek::mad:)
    -Artemis fowl when i was younger
    -The Hobbit
    -House of the scorpion
    -alas, babylon
    -flowers for algernon
    -tuesdays with morie
    -go ask alice

Doesn't necessarily have to be fantasy, but I want something that is exciting for a 20 year old dude...

Themes I am interested in?
    -adventure
    -romance
    -freedom
    -partying
    -"find yourself" stories lol

Anything come to mind? Looking for something thats not too childish

Thanks

2. #2 Durchii, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
    Very good science fiction series by William Gibson:

Sprawl trilogy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was probably the series responsible for the 'cyber-punk' movement in science fiction, a genre that resulted in movies such as The Matrix and BladeRunner.

It is a very complex read, so if you're the type of reader that just skims through a paragraph and finds themselves wondering, "What did I just read?" then you will really have to work at these books.

3. i need something to read as well.

OP to you i reccomend Frank Herberts Dune.

its very in-depth, theres is a whole series but i only read the first book, it was very very good.

4. anything by willam gibson. he is a goood writer
    wheel of time series. it spans 13 books at the moment.
    it can get a little long winded on some of the books but realy is an excelent series to read through
    anne McCaffery's pern books. another realy good series. dragons and humans working together to save thier way of life from an alien threat. what can go wrong.
    for singal books
    world on blood. absolute favorite book. its a vampire books but not your traditional immortal bloodsucker type. its humans who drink blood and for them its a drug.
    thats about all i can think of right now hope it helps

5. Based on what you like, you should read the "His Dark Materials" trilogy (The Golden Compass, the Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass".) It's one of my favorite fantasy/adventure series.

6. A song of ice and fire.
    It's interesting and page turning ina way that only a few novels ever reach.

7. dark tower series, song of ice and fire, killer angels and the follow-ups

8. Any book by Ron Paul is always a good read.

9. Some peopl will probably hate me for saying this but don't waste your time reading the lord of the rings, it's not very good.

10. Disregard this, OP.

11. There is little character development for most of the main characters, lots of the book reads like an appendicies and I remember thinking large parts of the book were... well... boring.

12. Game of Thrones

Pendragon

13. If you're into sci-fi, the Space Odyssey series is a damn good read, provided you have the time to invest in it.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is another favorite of mine. Great fantasy work and hilarious dialogue.