Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Reason your eyes get red?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by GetHighStayHigh, Dec 14, 2011.

1. My buddies doing a paper for school on marijuana. He told me your eyes get red when you're high because you aren't relaxed, and when you specifically focus on relaxing they go away.
    I actually do see some truth in this now that I think of it. My friends that smoke a lot (everyday multiple times a day) don't really get red eyes as much, but when you first start out and everything's new your eyes get red as fuck. Do you think this true?

2. That's wrong, it's called retinal depression. Your body can adapt to the changes if you smoke frequently, sometimes eliminating factors. But, just like everyone else his eyes will get red from time to time.

3. I think it has to do with the fact that marijuana lowers your blood pressure so when your eyes get red it is just the effects of cannabis relieving the pressure in your eye.

4. Well medically speaking, no, unfortunately. It's not. Lol
    Your eyes get red due to the vasodilation properties of weed, so all your blood vessels in your body swell, hence the slight drop in blood pressure. Vasodilation causes almost all red eye, when talking about weed.

5. nope.. eyes get red because because the smoke enters your body and goes straight for your head then forms a hand of smoke and begins plucking the back of your eyeballs. at least thats what my weed does..

no but seriously...

Answer:

Marijuana decreases pressure in the eyes and increases blood flow. When this happens, the arteries in the eye-ball expand (due to decreased pressure). These areteries, especially when expanded, are visible in the white portion of the eye and make the eye appear "bloodshot" or red.
    This very result (decrease of pressure in the eye) is the primary reason marijuana is used to treat glaucoma. Glaucoma is the condition where there is excessive pressure in the eye. In some patients, the pressure can become so severe that it causes damage to the retinal nerve, ultimately damaging the patient's vision. Marijuana decreases this pressure.
    Because it causes blood vessells to slightly dilate (enlarge). So, the blood vessels in your eyes dilate, causing them to appear more red.

Read more: Why do your eyes get red after using marijuana

6. Above poster is correct. Your arteries in your entire body dilate (open up) and your blood can run around your body faster. Happens in your eyes too, and then the pressure drops - which is why glaucoma patients benefit from smoking.

7. i swear my eyes never used to get as red as they do now, but now i smoke like half a joint and they go red as fuck man and eye drops doing nothing, whys this?

8. You guys are all wrong. Weed slowly gives you the same super power as cyclops from x-men, and if you smoke enough of it, you start to shoot lasers out of your eyes.

9. [quote name='"braapman"']i swear my eyes never used to get as red as they do now, but now i smoke like half a joint and they go red as fuck man and eye drops doing nothing, whys this?[/quote]

It could be anything as simple as what medications you take daily, to something complex. You could have vasodilation naturally, or have a med that slightly increases blood vessel expansion, and then weed also does this. But the eye drops should do something, if they are the right type. Some eye drops are just saline, others (like clear eyes) have a chemical in it, to cause vasoconstriction in the eye, and reduce redness.

10. My eyes usually are really red first smoke of the day , then they stay white and glossy

11. Mom! My contacts are bothering me! Im not high...

12. [quote name='"batenswitch"']You guys are all wrong. Weed slowly gives you the same super power as cyclops from x-men, and if you smoke enough of it, you start to shoot lasers out of your eyes.[/quote]

Lol! Theres ur answer