Really stupid question but I gotta ask...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by meezzy, Apr 8, 2011.

1. What is R/O water? I thought it ment run off water but judging by it use in some threads I'm starting to doubt my assumption. And I've seen EC used a few times and have no idea what that could mean eather.

I checked the terms and slang thread but I couldn't find it:(

Please don't hate on me. I'm just tryin to learn here like the rest of us...

2. Reverse osmisis water. They sell them it at a water store for like $.75 for 5 gallons. Or you can buy a filter for your house. It strips water of everything.

3. I've heard it does not take out all chlorine or chloramine is that true?

4. It takes away everything. It keeps tds @ 0. If you have a machine in your home it might not be a proffesional machine so you might have a little some. But if you go to the water stores with the big machines it keeps tds @ 0

5. Thankyou! +rep

6. also EC is the same as PPM

7. EC is not the same as PPM, but they essentially are used for the same purpose, if that makes sense. TDS meters (PPM) are the most commonly used, EC is more accurate.

Let me try to explain this briefly - EC is often displayed as a PPM reading, but it's done so by a conversion. However, different conversion formulas are used by different meters. EC is measured in millisiemens per centimeter (ms/cm) or microsiemens per centimeter (us/cm).

USA 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 500 ppm
    European 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 640 ppm
    Australian 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 700 ppm

For example,
    Hanna, Milwaukee 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 500 ppm
    Eutech 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 640 ppm
    Truncheon 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 700 ppm

If your meter allows you to switch between EC and TDS units, your conversion factor can be easily determined by dividing one by the other. When reporting your PPM in a thread, please give the conversion factor your meter uses. For example: 550 PPM @0.7 or give the reading in EC, which should be the same meter to meter. It would be really nice if more people did this.

I prefer EC, personally.