Reality is coming down on me... HARD!!!

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by -ir-mokalotapot, Feb 23, 2011.

1. So I need some help making a few important life decisions & who better to ask then a group of pot heads. Ive been dreading this for a while, the decision of what Im going to major in in college and ultimately what I want to do with my life. Im blessed enough to be recieving VA dependent benefits from my late father who was in the marine corps, and basically theyre going to pay me about $936 a month just to attend community or state college for up to 45 months. I really want to take advantage of this and use it wisely as I know many people have to pay and work a lot harder for this than I am. Only problem is idk what to do. I dont want to do something extremely hard like science or any STEM shit I just want something that wont over work me but will still have a good job market when Im done. For better suggestions Ive been thinking about being an art teacher, or Ive always wanted to open my own store, but I really Idk. What kind of things do u guys do & what would u suggest? I know I cant be the only one...

2. I don't even know what I'm goin to be doing myself.

3. Oh yeah also when I start getting that dough I might have to just move out of my moms pad. I live with her and my sis, and they have jobs and enough to pay for a two bedroom apt but not a three. They want $600 bucks just to let me live with them in a 3 bedroom. But I feel like thats to much and she wont budge. I dont think I would be able to save money for a car or party or anything. So basically its pay $600 and live with my mom and sis with about $300 (and some money from a job I plan to get about $600), no partys, no weed, no chicks, no money to save or move out on my own and be a full time student with a full time job and do as I please.

4. well if uve always wanted to own ur own store start off with business and go from there take alot of electives ur first year and get a feel for what u may be interested in.

5. May I suggest medical field? There is always a market for techs working with MRI, ultrasound, CT and xray in hospitals and remote offices. I have had many encounters with various techs [i am a gimp and do a fair amount of quality hospital time] and in general they seem pretty happy with their jobs. I was talking with the tech who did a preop dye scan on me last summer and she had no trouble getting jobs at any time - she moved around a lot because her husband was in the military, and was changing duty stations about every year and a half or so.

Just checked, median US salary for an MRI tech is $59K per year.

6. What interest you? Take courses that you like. Talk to the councelors, they can help you figure out a path for you.

I've changed my major plenty of times and I still have no fucking clue what I want to do, so don't feel alone brother.

Right now though Im pretty set on either becoming a police officer :D or a personal fitness trainer.

7. i'm also struggling with what i want to major in. i decided to go ahead with an associates degree from my community college. it's a nice and easy thing to work towards and it gets most of your general classes out of the way. i might be able to get a good job with just an associates, but if not, i can always go two more years somewhere else. just make sure you do what you want. if you want to run a business, go for it. everything takes work though, don't think there's a magical major out there that lets you make a bunch of money with no effort.

8. Accounting, people always need someone to count their money, even if they are losing it :D

9. Don't let that swag go to waste! If there are that many fine teachers in your high school imagine how many fine ass teachers the community college down the road has. You're gonna walk up in there and all the fine teachers are gonna be like, "Dang look at this guy with all his swag and shit."

10. What makes you happy? What makes you want to get up in the morning, because you look forward to doing whatever it is? What are you skilled at? Everybody has skills.

11. dang well when u put it that way i should be majoring in blunt rolling

12. OP, if you're already trying to confine your decision to what will result in a "good job market" when you're done, then you are already making a mistake.

If you wish to be an art teacher and open your own store some day, then DO IT.

Life is all about choices. Make the choice that fits YOU, not some fucking mold of what people expect you to be or become. Trying to fit into a mold is the textbook definition of "apathy", which is what you and your job will ultimately become if you are not happy.

My advice if you're still looking to meet some level of "be successful" requirement is to do some research online to find what job markets/sectors are most sought after for degree holders.

Money does not buy or guarantee happiness. Most people who eventually have or make the money would give it all up to be truly happy, for happiness is truly priceless.

Good luck with it. :smoke:

13. lol, I was wondering if he had any further reasons for wanting to be an art teacher. Like does he love kids? Love to draw? Shit like that

14. Thanks man I appreciate the post & I agree 100%.

15. Lol funny guy right here

Neways thanks guys I didnt mean to come off as a guy looking for just a major that will magically get me a good job, but of course thats one of the criteria. Im not really worried about it, I mean I got fallback plans, but for me its more about just making the most of this 'free' education and learning something worthwhile, useful and interesting. But ultimately I know whatever I decide upon it will be because I enjoy it, not for the money. :)

16. Hahah you took it like a champ :hello:

:smoke:

17. Go for business bro. Maybe graphic communications. Not known for being ridiculously hard and leaves the door open for many job opportunities.

18. You remind me of myself. and if this is the case, you will probably change your mind a lot. maybe just start off the first 2 years going for a general associates. then you will get a better idea of how everything works and can go from there.

19. Go for something you can specialize in that cant be outsourced. Personally, Im a teacher at a private school for kids with dyslexia/adhd. Extremely rewarding. Wouldnt do anything else. Our art teacher is very happy also...lol..he does extra shit on the side, for himself.
    A career that gives back to others is what I find most rewarding. I will do it for the rest of my life. Do what you love-fuck the money...it will come anyway.

20. The easiest degree to get is a communication degree. Minimal math and science. The best degree to get if you don't know what you want to do is Marketing. You get to see a lot of different industries and it can lead to you figuring out a field you like. Business is also a way to go. It will transfer over to a lot of fields. Personally, looking back, I wouldn't of started school if I didn't know what I wanted to do. It can be a waste of time and money.

I went to school for 5 years and didn't graduate because I keep changing what I wanted to do. I eventually went into sales because I knew I wanted to make six figures and I didn't even need a degree for sales. So I could of just skipped school, went straight to sales and been further along in my career.