Reading and writing

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Deleted member 1099221, Aug 14, 2019.

1. I do it.

It seems to me as if the reading population is dwindling.

I’ve got early onset dementia, thanks for the crappy genes family. One of the best things I can do is to read. Another is writing. I do both as much as I possibly can.

I don’t like sudoku or whatever that is. I have problems when it comes to mathematics.

I write short stories and it can actually pay well enough to fill in some financial gaps. At least according to the wife, as she takes care of the money now.

Also my dr suggested journaling for both of us as a way to express ideas, thoughts and emotions. We sometimes need to put these on paper just to get them out. Get it off my chest without worrying about anyone else ever reading it.

I read constantly. Surfing the internet is something I do as a distraction, helps to keep my mind sharp.

Truman Capote is my favorite author. Followed by Anne Rice.

Do yourself a favor and read the short story by Capote called “Music for chameleons”.

Anyone else want to write about reading and writing?

Do you write? What do you read?

• Like Like x 1

2. Any and all of the classic Sci Fi writers from the 1930s to the 70s.
    Heinlein.
    Norton.
    Asimov.
    Current writer would be
    C.J. Cherryh. Any and everything she's written.

My half assed writing is all over grass city. About the only place I get halfway eloquent with my work.:)

BNW

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. #3 Deleted member 699232, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2019
    I study, mostly. Anything I can get my hands on and apply is what I read.

Currently, i’m Reading a couple books about timber frame houses by Jack Sobon. I also enjoy learning about mechanics, botony, and health.

Last fiction book I tried was Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I couldn’t finish it. I have trouble finding books that hold value (and life lessons) to me as I get older.

I really enjoyed reading the required reading books in school growing up. They really had some hidden knowledge in there, well maybe besides Fahrenheit 451 that book did not age very well and the lesson was kind of weak. I would like to find some books to that sort of caliber.

4. I forgot, imagine that, the name of the sci-fi book I read not too long ago. The alien life form was captured and held by the authorities and the alien was so small that it could really not be seen. It would fly around the room and around it’s captors.
    @BrassNwood, do you know what I am describing?

I also like to read classics. I love Crime and Passion. That Raskolnickov was a strange bird.

5. Didn’t like Nabokov? That’s understandable.

Have you ever read Atlas Shrugged? I tried 3 times lol I don’t give a shit about John Galt!

Catcher in the Rye, Father and Sons, Madam Bovary, these are some classics that I enjoyed. Holden Caufield seems like an idiot but I enjoyed the read.

If you’ve never read it, try In Cold Blood. It was the first non-fiction novel and MUCH better than either movie. Although I really like the original with Robert Blake.

Currently I’m reading My Book by God. It’s not exactly the Bible but a modern narrative.

• Like Like x 1
  6. It might be.
    Dragon's Egg - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Egg

1. Cached
    2. Similar
    Dragon's Egg is a 1980 hard science fiction novel by Robert L. Forward. In the story, Dragon's Egg is a neutron star with a surface gravity 67 billion times that of Earth, and inhabited by cheela, intelligent creatures the size of a sesame seed who live, think and develop a million times faster than humans.

Starquake (novel) - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starquake_(novel)

1. Cached
    2. Similar
    Starquake is a science fiction novel written and published in 1985 by Robert L. Forward as a sequel to his novel Dragon's Egg. It is about the life of the Cheela civilization, creatures who live on a neutron star named Dragon's Egg, struggling to recover from a disastrous starquake.

It's the only one that comes to mind but it could be one of several dozen like minded themes.

The HAB Theory, Cataclysms of the Earth, Polar Shift, Crust Displacement and other fun stuff.
    ^--- Work in progress.

BNW

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Reading? Absolutely.
    Writing....forever.

One of the most difficult times in my life was during 4 months of chemo and my brain literally stopped working properly for a time after that. Reading was difficult, no focus or retention.
    I forced myself to read 1 chapter at a time in the beginning, but eventually had to go to 1 page at a time, then nothing because it would make me cry in frustration.
    I wrote a lot during that time, but finding common words proved difficult so often, but I did write a lot about my experience.
    Speaking was filled with "what's it's" and "thingamajigs" and "you knows"...
    I am so happy to have come out of that fog.

If we do not get our youth interested in reading again they will be relegated to the ignorant masses who cannot and will not think for themselves, because they literally don't know shit about their world or the people in it.
    I see all manner of reading material shrinking down to snippets of information, blurbs, rather than in-depth articles.... many magazines are nothing more than picture books these days.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. That’s it! You get it, hallelujah.

Congratulations on making it through the chemo too. You are obviously a strong person and I’m glad you’re here.

We just got back from the coping therapist. Supposed to help cope with loosing my mind. Crazy right?

I will definitely be back to chat more.

9. Don’t let anyone or anything make you feel that way. Just do eeet, if only for yourself. It’s like golf, play against yourself for improvement :)

10. I HATE READING with a passion.......I'll only do it if I am researching something that I want to know or to do.............for instance.....how to grow MJ!

You will NEVER EVER EVER catch me with a book or magazine in my hand..........EVER! LOL

Now, I don't mind writing......all of my teachers growing up said I had a "knack" for it..........yep, they were crazy......but I do enjoy it nonetheless.

11. I’ve read anything and everything I could get my hands on since I learned to read! It fills your head with knowledge, brother. Very few subjects I can’t at least have a basic conversation about.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Friendly Friendly x 1