Read this quote and discuss

Discussion in 'General' started by Dalax, Jul 14, 2007.

1. This seems like the forum to put this in.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so" -Thomas Jefferson

What do you guys think of this quote? Thomas Jefferson know's whats up.

2. As long as you also realize that you must take the punishment for disobeying it...I agree completely. ;)

3. Dalax, where are you from in Michigan?

good quote too

4. It's is our right and duty as citizens of this country to refute and abolish laws that limit our rights/freedoms as citizens. As the OP stated, Thomas Jefferson does in fact know what's up:cool:

5. its the way it should be, but americans are such pussies now adays the people in power just shit on everyone else because they know nobody will stand up against it.... people are too concerned with making laws about everything to be more "safe"

as ben franklin said, "the society that gives up a little freedom, for a little security, will in turn lose both."

dont know if thats word for word but you get the picture

6. I live near Flint.

7. That is called Post-Cognitive reasoning I believe the most advanced form of thought created by Kohlberg. Basically 90% of America lacks it....

8. I totally agree.

9. that's some smart shit

10. I completely disregard several unjust laws daily :smoke:

11. Thats one of my favorite quotes. It's a shame more people don't think like this.

12. Word great quote! Love the Ben Franklin one someone mentioned as well " He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."

I started reading this book "1776" , great book and pretty relevent for this.

Oh , how ashamed our forefathers would be if they saw the state America was in now.

13. I don't like to disagree with TJ but I'd say we have an obligation to change or repeal unjust laws, not simply disobey them. ..my 2 cents

14. I highly agree with that statement but if you disobey the wrong ones they're gonna put you in the jailhouse...

15. Thoreau was all about civil disobidience and did not pay his taxes-- but if u do the crime u gotta pay the time and he did-- 30 some days in the hoosegow as i remember and i could be wrong on the time-- still, most laws are written for the common good and we ignore them at our peril-- herbacious smokin' and growin' is our thang, but it's against the law-- that's why we come here to talk, because most of us can't talk about it with our friends or such in our daily lives-- we're low level outlaws, but outlaws nonetheless-- we are breaking the law-- but God Bless American for giving us the right to Civil Disobedience-- but let's not abuse it by saying 'the Man' trys to fuck with us-- stay cool, keep it all chilly and within the bounds of reasonable behavior and it'll all turn out right for u-- try to change the law within it's framework-- challenge the law and authority that is on the books and u'll get a hurtin' like u've never felt before-- loose lips sink ships-- Regards, probus