Re-vegging a male?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Deleted member 638051, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Think it'll work? I haven't seen a post on this yet.
    I have a male plant that has already flowered and released it's pollen. I had no females ready to flower yet. So the event has passed. The male is now turning dark and looking pretty skinny.
    What are the chances of revegging a male to grow this summer and use to pollinate a couple flowering girls this summer? He's between 3' and 4' tall and lives in a 2 gallon bucket.

I've been using water only soil. Should I top dress with anything? Or is making seeds a lost cause by now?

2. Im trying to re veg a male soon by adding N to the soil so bat guano tea or some other fertilizer. Remove all flowers and keep all leaves and change the light cycle to 24/0 until i see results.

3. Logically, I would think it's possible....I guess ya don't really hear about it is because most people don't re-veg males very often....but i would think it would happen at the same rate/same way.....as a female.....?

4. The genetics would start to degrade, done to many time's the pollen would become useless. The same as monster cropping a female to many time's her DNA will break down bringing in lower yeilds and potency ect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I ended up letting it go. I used one that had lived through 2 different waves of overnight frost. It was stunted, as was the female next to it, but through the spring it shot up like a rocket and I now have thousands of seeds. Saved my favorite strain.

• Like Like x 1
  6. That's bullshit. Genetics don't degrade. Pollen is pollen and it is just as genetically viable wether from a fresh male or reveged male.

Genetics don't degrade as a plant grows old as far as seed production goes.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Y
    You've been reading too many forum posts and b believing the bullshit in them. A clone may degrade in potency but the seeds from that clone will be just as viable as the original genetics. DNA doesn't wane with age. A plants potency wanes with age. A sickly male and an old used up clone will still produce the same genetic offspring as a fresh clone and a fresh male.

Sorry to burst your forum bubble.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. This is the problem with forums. More opinions than experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. This is one person's view on the topic......I scrolled past it and thought it was "interesting enough to repost it here.....its from thcfarmer.com and the member is Ne Obliviscaris This was his post....

The science behind the loss of vigor over time has to do with mutations accruing without a chance for them to be selected out (this is not coming from my knowledge of cannabis specificaly, but rather my knowledge of genetics and evolution). All DNA aquires mutations over time, due to various environmental factors,free radicals, toxins etc. When reproduction is asexual ie. cloning, these mutations get automatically passed down across the generations. When you have sexual reproduction then the mutation only has a 50% chance of being passed down, and then isnt necesarily expressed if its recessive, etc. (incidently, this is one of the primary explanations given for the evolution of sexual reproduction in general). So, all clone lines should deteriorate over time, as the various mutations occur. Just to be clear, the vast majority of these mutations wont have any effect on phenotype, and a very, very tiny minority might be beneficial (the rouges and sporting Jsan is referring to), but on average you are going to start introducing negative traits over time. This is simply the nature of asexual reproduction, and most *naturally* asexually reproducing organisms have developed strategies to deal with the issue. So I think its basically irrefutable that, given enough time, your clone lines will deteriorate, the question is the timing.

It makes a lot of sense to me that this would depend a lot upon the strain, different genotypes might be differentially sensitive to environmental stress and so have different base rates of mutation.

Having said that, I have zero intuition about what a raealistic rate is, a couple generations, 10, 100? As several people have pointed out there are strains that have only existed as cuts for many years, so, at least some must do pretty well over years/decades.

Thanks for everyones input, theres a lot of knowledge on this site.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I agree.....the more I learn and get experience on growing.....I do see a few opinions that I PERSONALLY think are totally wrong.....but the people take that info and use it...and probably....with the advice given....ends up killin the plants....im sure someone has thought that of something I HAVE posted....but I honestly try to post what I know works....from actually doing.....and seeing it

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Trust me I've made at leasta million seeds over my 26 years of growing. I've used clones that are so exhausted they won't yield shit. And males tossed in the dirt and not watered for weeks. I'll even go take a photo of a male I tossed in the dirt a couple days ago. IMG_20190818_205517.jpg The pollen from this son of a bitch will still be perfectly genetically viable next year. Even if I wait 6 months to harvest it. And it's been hanging out root bound in a 2 gallon it all season. Prematurely bloomed.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Of course they do! And you seem like your feelings are hurt.
    Dont be such a wanker mate. How's your bubble. Lol...:p

13. You are completly wrong about monster cropping.

14. #15 Digger, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    @killset
    But taking a clone from a clone from a clone, DNA does & will degrade. Why haven't we got the 35th clone of Dolly the Sheep, DNA mutate's and degrade's and we get retarded sheep.

So untill i see any quantifiable data & not silly little rant's @Shasta_Lake_California , I'll keep to my hypothesis.

But the OP's question was about "re-vegging" a male plant for pollen. How many time's can you re'veg an "annual" plant before it starts to biologically break down? The same applies with a female being re-vegged to many times, this was my point. DNA breaks down with age, that's how we get diseases through mutations of our DNA. @Shasta_Lake_California

15. The topic is re-vegging a male, not an argument about opinions on plant genetics.

It’s possible.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Of course it's possible no dispute over that, my point if done to many time's degradation of DNA "will" occur.

17. Honestly, I don’t know enough to tell you about genetics.

Cannabis has been selectively breed for a long time to the point where it is harder for the plant to survive in nature.

I’m sure there are plenty of undocumented things that humans are out here messing up inadvertently.

Do you have a source for what you’re saying?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Here is one, StarGate TV show and the "Asgards" what happened to them & basic biology 101. Not that hard to understand really.

19. Look at your statement above mate, what dose it say and you put up a disagree. Wtf oh my god.. Get a book!

• Funny Funny x 1