re-use soil

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jack spratt, Jun 10, 2012.

1. I have been using ld's mix with the huge exception of EWC. In its stead I used composted cow and chicken manure. I now have vermicompost and leaf mold that can be incorporated into the original mix. Any suggestions as to how much to use of the compost/vermicompost in the original mix? Any additional aeration? Should I let I cook?

2. [quote name='"jack spratt"']I have been using ld's mix with the huge exception of EWC. In its stead I used composted cow and chicken manure. I now have vermicompost and leaf mold that can be incorporated into the original mix. Any suggestions as to how much to use of the compost/vermicompost in the original mix? Any additional aeration? Should I let I cook?[/quote]

If the soil still contains a large root mass this is what I personally do.

Brew a BIM culture ( lacto/rice wash w.e. you wanna call it ) and break the root ball up with your hands.

Add your BLM & Vermi to your mix until it feels right, and soak this with your BIM. Cook for 2-3 weeks and you have an awesome mix.

3. I haven't studied BIM yet but will most certainly be doing so. Would 20%-25% addition of blm/vc be reasonable without anymore peat? Should I be concerned with the ratio of peat to compost/vc? As you say,"til it feels right",does work very well! My question was more of one from a new guy thinking that there would be less room for root growth with less aeration than the original mix. I am using Blumats and am not so sure a little less perlite wouldn't be better because there is some drying out in the top around the edges of the smartpots.Perhaps less aeration would give a more even soil moisture? No runoff ever occurs with these waterers...fantastic! I'm excited to finally be using my own blm/vc! It took months to get here but has been fun.I never thought I would be worm farming and smiling about it!