Re Activate your worn out used Activated carbon filter

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Uncle Shizzy, Jul 30, 2011.

1. I have an activated charcoal filter thats about 12 inches O.D. and 24 inches long with a 6 inch port that Ihave used continuously for over 4 1/2 years and never replaced it .Yet it works almost as good as the day I bought it.
    Every 6 months I remove it and place it in the oven on broil. ( 1 oven grat on bottom rack)
    for 4 1 hour bursts of heat at over 650 degrees. 1 hour on and then 1 off for 4 cycles. Afterwards when its cooled down I put the dust sleeve back on and remount it.Seems to work great with no real degradation of the carbon.

NOTE: My filter is solid steel filled with carbon .No plastic or glue

2. #2 BadKittySmiles, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2011
    The best carbon filtration systems do last between 5 - 8 years, enduring heavy-odor-use, without any recharging/renewing. :)

A close friend in our industry was 'hired on' under the table as a tester about fifteen years ago, for a very popular carbon filter co... he was hired under the table, because of the material he was growing and testing their filters with :) A good carbon filter, set up properly, will completely eliminate odor issues for at least five years.

If it's giving you odor control issues at less than a year, it wasn't very good or active carbon/coal, to begin with.

And if that's the case, and it was made poorly to begin with, you're likely not going to be able to remedy this at home. It is produced in a near-vacuum, with temperatures that exceed your common household oven.

"Physical reactivation: The precursor is developed into activated carbons using gases. This is generally done by using one or a combination of the following processes:

Carbonization: Material with carbon content is pyrolyzed at temperatures in the range 600–900 C, in absence of oxygen (usually in inert atmosphere with gases like argon or nitrogen)
    Activation/Oxidation: Raw material or carbonized material is exposed to oxidizing atmospheres (carbon monoxide, oxygen, or steam) at temperatures above 250 C, usually in the temperature range of 600–1200 C.

Chemical activation: Prior to carbonization, the raw material is impregnated with certain chemicals. The chemical is typically an acid, strong base, or a salt (phosphoric acid, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, zinc chloride, respectively). Then, the raw material is carbonized at lower temperatures (450–900 C). It is believed that the carbonization / activation step proceeds simultaneously with the chemical activation. Chemical activation is preferred over physical activation owing to the lower temperatures and shorter time needed for activating material. " ( - wiki)

3. #3 Bob Barker, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
    Thread from the dead.

I think I'm going to try the oven refresh trick pretty soon. My phresh filter just isnt cutting it anymore. I thought phresh filters were good. What are some top quality brands?

Can and Phresh are the only ones I trust.

5. That gives me hope for this one. It only has a couple grows but it was blasted with high humidity on my first failed grow.

I put the Phresh filter in the oven at 450 for 1 hour. There was a very fine screen inbetween the carbon and outer metal shell of the filter. It was something that vaporized and smelt god awful. Now I need to clean my oven. The pre-filter over the can seals everything up. Overall an hour in the oven helped improve the filters function.