RDWC Topping off

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by bluntzfosho, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Sup GC,

So, throughout the week my PPM steadily drops and my PH steadily climbs, all is well.  I have a 27 gallon system and am able to go 2-3 weeks without a flush / rez change and its great, so far.  My question is about topping off:  I've been topping off with base nutrients only, no additives.  Its working out fine, the girls look great and whatnot but I'm wondering if I could see increased growth or maybe even get another week out of the rez before a required change if topped off with additives, like drip clean which does wonders for salt build-up, throughout the week (or weekly) to replenish depleted nutes.

I'm not sure how not to sound like a jerk saying this but, Please only respond if you have experience with RDWC / UC / something similar and awesome I don't even know about as I'm looking for a solid answer, not just some willy nilly opinion.

Also, When I initially fill the rez I put enough additives for the 27 gallons so I figure I can at least let the girls drink 25 gallons + before a rez change but maybe adding back additives will do me better?  Let me know please, thanks.

Bluntz

2. #2 nugz420, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
    I could be wrong,but my understanding is that your ppms are dropping because your plants are using more nutes than water.As nutrients leave the res they make your ph go up.I believe this is because most nutrients usually  lower ph levels,and as they are taken out of the solution your ph will rise.Like I said when starting this reply could be wrong, but I believe this means that your solution could be stronger.

I have never grown hydro this just all rings a bell in my mind from earlier reading.I hope a hydro guy will correct me if I am wrong.

Edit:Yeah I know you said only reply if you have hydro experience,I just wanted to test my memory about hydro as I'm gonna give it a go soon.sorry ahead of time for not listening to your request in the original post.

I agree, if your ppm's are dropping, your nute strength needs to increase. What is your PPM? How many plants? what stage of growth? etc., etc., etc. This can help us help you. And on the point about additives, I would always top off my reservoir and nutrients at the same generic ratio of nutes and additives to get my ppm's close. Then would add more base nutrient if needed for fine tuning.

4. #4 nugz420, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
    Thnx for showing me my memory isn't totally gone. :bongin:  Makes me feel better about using my 6 site uc I am almost done building. Gonna start with lucas and build from there.

5. #5 bluntzfosho, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
    Ugh. Let's stay on topic.

@[member="cherokee91red"] "And on the point about additives, I would always top off my reservoir and nutrients at the same generic ratio of nutes and additives to get my ppm's close. Then would add more base nutrient if needed for fine tuning."

Thanks for this input. Does anyone with experience in RDWC / UC agree or disagree?