RDWC:First Grow! White Widow 600w GH 3x3 tent

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by White Whisper, Sep 24, 2012.

1. #1 White Whisper, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012
    Hello grasscity world! I have been lurking around these forums for quite a while and finally decided to come out of the closet! Only to get right back in, with my first ever grow!

9/24/12

What type of medium: hydro/RDWC (Recirculating Deep Water Culture)
    Indoors or outdoors: Indoor
    What strain: Nirvana's White Widow
    How old are the plants: 2 weeks Veg
    What type of lights and how many watts: 600 Watt Metal Halide, cooled hood
    How far from the lights: ~14 inches?
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? General Hydroponics 3-2-1 Veg
    PPM: 600
    PH: 5.9
    Water: Reverse Osmosis 0 PPM
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? ~76F , 25%

My current setup is a 3x3 Grow tent, inside of a slightly larger closet, with a door that opens to the outside (exposed to the elements). I have ~20 gallon rez, that feeds into 4 x 5 gallon buckets.

I was originally planning on 4 plants, but 1 seedling bit the dust, another is struggling (to say the least, see pic), while 2 others are thriving! So I am currently using 3/4 buckets, if this stunted seedling doesn't turn around I'm going to pull it, take the unused buckets out, converting it to a 2 bucket rdwc system.

Everything has been going great, but I recently noticed little brown spots showing up on some of the older sets of leaves towards the bottom. Its what prompted me to start this journal and seek the wise wisdom of the grasscity community. I know you'll pull through! Pics are with MH on.

I intend to update this journal on a weekly basis, and is a work in progress, like I said 1st attempt. I appreciate any help and welcome input. Thanks and Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. :wave:sorry i cant help you with your grow problems,,,i just wanted to give you a thumbs up on your white widow!!!!!! i grow white widow when ever i pull off a grow and i,ve never really had any problems with that strain. also i dont know much about hydro growing, but i,m sure theres some folks here that will solve all your problems,,,,,,,good luck!:smoke:

3. Put the stunted clone in some soil instead of just ripping it. It'll grow out an be fine...might just be a little sensitive. As for your plant problems, I would say cruise around the site here and guaranteed you'll find what you're looking for.

Best of luck! Can't wait to see more!!

4. Hey White Whisper!

The little brown spots are probably due to a Calcuim/Magnesium issue. Grab a bottle of CALMAG and it should correct future growth. The spots will never clear up, but future growth will be corrected. I always use CALMAG with all my grows. You can use any brand, just follow the instructions and you should be fine :) As for the stunted plant not sure what is going on with that one. How does the root growth look on it? I probably would not pull it, but that is just me. I would let it ride.

The other two plants are looking good so far, minus the cal/mag issue. But you can clear that up quick. Always use calmag and you shouldnt have issues with it.

Best of luck in your grow!

5. Good luck on your grow! I agree with Dnorris about cal/mag def causing your spots. Dosing will def fix future spots as the current ones wont go away.

6. Alrighty thanks everyone for the feedback, I had suspected that's what it was but wanted another opinion. My rez is probably ~17 gallons? idk I will measure exactly when I nute change for flower. I added 12 tsp of Calmag for now and will potentially add more, just taking caution.

This is my first grow and I was intending to use scrogg method, but have yet to get the screen. Trying to maximize my yield in this space. Should I top this plant to get it to become more bushy/better for scrogg, already a short bushy plant. (I will research further)

Thanks everyone for input, shes fed and hopefully smooth sailing (knock on wood)

7. [quote name='"White Whisper"']Alrighty thanks everyone for the feedback, I had suspected that's what it was but wanted another opinion. My rez is probably ~17 gallons? idk I will measure exactly when I nute change for flower. I added 12 tsp of Calmag for now and will potentially add more, just taking caution.

This is my first grow and I was intending to use scrogg method, but have yet to get the screen. Trying to maximize my yield in this space. Should I top this plant to get it to become more bushy/better for scrogg, already a short bushy plant. (I will research further)

Thanks everyone for input, shes fed and hopefully smooth sailing (knock on wood)[/quote]

Use your Calmag on every soup change :) I've never scrogged so I can't advise. Topping and LST are great! There are great tutorials here on GC and YouTube. Read up and you should be fine to do it!

8. #8 White Whisper, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
    Hello GC I'm back! not giving up on this journal, just delayed update.

I have done many things since my last update and I will attempt to cover them all, basically update you with my current captains log.

10/1/12:
    I decided to drain my rez and start a fresh solution (switch from GH 3-2-1 to Lucas Formula). I also took out my extra two buckets, so now its only a 2 bucket rwdc system.

Fresh Rez contains:
    ~10-12 Gallons of RO water
    80 ml FloraMicro (Lucas)
    160 ml FloraBloom (Lucas)
    50 ml CalMag

After that I took measurements...
    PH:5.7
    PPM:1000+

The high PPM freaked me out so I added an additional 4 gallons RO water (11+4= ~15 total gallons)
    Waited for it to "settle" new readings...

PH: 5.5
    PPM:880

PH: 5.6
    PPM:850

10/2/12
    Added additional 2 gallon RO water and 20 ml CalMag. (~17 total gallons, 70)

10/3/12
    PH: 5.7
    PPM: 865

10/5/12
    Added additional 2 gallon RO water and 15 ml CalMag. (~19 total gallons, 85)

10/7/12-Today (27 Days in Veg)
    PH: 6.2
    PPM: 770

Decided my water level was too high, from diluting PPM with RO, so I subtracted 6 gallons from my rez in order to promote bubbles/oxygen. Thus total gallons is now around 13.

Added 1 cup h2o2 3%
    Added PH down

New readings...
    PH: 5.7
    PPM: 720

That basically sums up what I have been doing this past week and a half, unfortunately it appears Ive been doing something wrong because my plants condition has only gotten worse. What I originally though was Mag deficiency is still causing problems in growth even after adding CalMag and new rez change.

Also almost forgot, I attempted to top my two plants, and 1 appears to be doing fine (left) then second (right) does not have any new branches splitting off, even after several days 3-4? So I messed up.

Mainly worried about my plants current condition and its sudden turn for the worse, yellow dying fan leaves, brown spots, burn edges on newer growth? There was a period during nute change that ph was high and ppm was high, also my temps tend to fluctuate at canopy level 68-80 sometimes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! First Pic attached below taken on 10/3/12 with MH light on, then the rest are taken on 10/7/12.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      636.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2L.jpg
      2L.jpg
      File size:
      338.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3R.jpg
      3R.jpg
      File size:
      687.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3L.jpg
      3L.jpg
      File size:
      353.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4R.jpg
      4R.jpg
      File size:
      374.3 KB
      Views:
  9. I killed of half of my last grow with 500ml of h2o2 in 160 lts of water.
    how big was the cup you used ?
    middy

10. these guys arnt looking too goood'

11. I agree seems like that I way way too much h2o2! 1 cup as in a 1 measuring cup?! Are you using hydro store h2o2 (29%) or like a pharmacy grade which is a much lower strength (3%)?

12. #12 White Whisper, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
    haha ah yes, I meant 1 measuring cup of pharmacy grade 3%

Any idea what my problem is?
    everything is just yellowing and dying, I'm about to trim off all the dead lower fan leaves, but the problem is slowly progressing and soon looks like I'll have a dead plant :confused:

PH: 5.8-5.9
    PPM:620

I'm starting to doubt my meters? Since PH went up and PPM went down I guess I need to add more Lucas formula and CalMag, What I am I doing wrong?

13. i dont think h202 should be added..

14. A wise person (chimera) once told me:

15. #15 jakesterjammin, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
    And the suggested use of a poison (H2O2) has killed yet another set of plants.... :rolleyes:
    Fuck I wish people would STOP suggesting using H2O2 to noobs!!!

And I mean NO disrespect to you White Whisper, but if you do not understand what H2O2 does or what it is, as far as that goes, then you should NOT use it... It's really that simple and it pisses me off when people suggest other use it, WHEN THERE IS NO REASON FOR ITS USE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! And HERE is what we get when the REASON for H2O2 is not understood...

Look at your plants ALL the way up to the point you added a poison believing it will increase O2 levels..

Merck's index indicates that hydrogen peroxide can be used as a water disinfectant. In the medical world it is used as a topical disinfectant. The FDA in the US has approved hydrogen peroxide to be used for "Aseptic" packaging in the food industry, as well it can be used in the processing of cheese and related cheese products. It can also be used in mouth rinse products for cleaning and healing mouth injuries.

YES hydrogen peroxide has an extra oxygen molecule which can be utilized to increase O2 levels of not only water but the HUMAN BODY as well....

If someone told you to DRINK hydrogen peroxide, would you????
    Because you CAN DRINK hydrogen peroxide...

But you're not going to simply chug down some hydrogen peroxide SIMPLY off someone suggesting you do it..
    I'm betting that you're going to REALLY do some research on H2O2 if you feel it would help your body...

My suggestion White Whisper, dump them and start over, by time they recover, you could have healthy plants of the same size with NO damage.... Then from NOW ON, ASK WHY............. Meaning, I know dam well someone at one point suggested that to you use H2O2, so IMHO at that point you should have asked WHY do I need more O2??? Can I not simply add more air to a DWC and if I can't, WHY NOT??

There is SO, SO, SO many people on the internet now days that grew a plant and now KNOW EVERYTHING there is to know about growing, or at one point, they read something (which was poor information), and because they know it ALL, they are going to try and convince someone else they KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING and you need this... When they themselves do not understand and simply doing it off someone's else's suggestion, as opposed to someone suggesting it from YEARS OF REAL WORLD GROWING experiences.......

Again, I mean NO disrespect, please do not take this post that way....
    And the guys which posted already will tell you, if I can help, I WILL, simply ask... ;)

:metal: