rastafarianism

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by toysruskidd, Sep 2, 2009.

1. So I was looking at some stuff online and it seems like, based off what I've read, it's only for black people and basically totally against white people and Christianity. Does anyone know if this is accurate? Or can explain the basic premise of religion/beliefs to me?

2. There is no "isms" in rastafari. Im an atheist, but i hold the same values, so for me rastafari is more of a philosiphy. And yes, it is welcoming to people of other races. They stand agains what they call Babylon which is pretty much westen culture. Like the values we have and how corrupt the governments are. It is about black power and reuniting africa to bring peace to the african race. They also believe that god isnt in heavan, he is re-incarnated into living people. And jesus doesnt mean anything.

3. It's pretty hard to go brief with Rastafari. Like two streets over, there's a bunch of Rastas living in an apartment, and so far, this is what I've gathered:

Haile Selassie, former Emperor of Ethiopia is who they see as God incarnate.
    Marcus Garvey "Prophecy"
    Alot of them are Vegetarian or Vegan
    No Shopping
    No Gambling
    No Pork

And only the extremeists have that "fuck Whitey" attitude. The ones I know personally don't give a shit what race you are, it's about loving everyone, regardless of anything.

Blessed is the man who walketh not
    in the counsel of the ungodly,
    nor standeth in the way of the sinners,
    nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful,
    nor taketh delight in the way that the unrighteous go.
    And he should be like a tree
    planted by the rivers of water
    that bringeth forth fruit in its due season.
    Nor shall his leaves wither,
    nor shall his locks wither,
    nor shall he be smitten by the sun of the day,
    and nor shall he be smitten by the moon of the night.
    But be prosperous in the way that he goes,
    in the way of our lord JAH! RASTAFARI!
    Haile Selassie! :D

4. I just read that entire Wikipedia page on it and now know more about Rastafari than I ever did before. Wow, heh. :smoking: