rastafarianism

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by utook2much2much, Jan 16, 2013.

1. does wearing rasta colors mean you are rastafarian to other rastafarians??? haha:confused:

2. Computers = Babylon?

3. Rastafarianism is a Judaic/Christian religion defined by a specific culture and people. Every Rasta I've ever met around the world that doesn't come from that specific culture, is in it just for the weed and worship of Marley. It's actually pretty disrespectful to the authentic followers of the faith in my opinion.

4. No! ...

How can you say it is disrespectful when those people actually do use weed to meditate & be one with God. TBH your quite disrespectful...

5. Rastafarianism is far more than just meditating and being one with any God while smoking weed. If you really think that's all it is, then you don't know what Rastas really are or really believe in.

6. im with you but my question is if your walking down the with rasta colors fuckng all over you do rastafarians see you as a rastafarian i mean i know you need dreadlocks and what not but who knows

7. Without the dreads I'm sure they just see you as a weed smoker who has adopted one of their symbols to show to the world that you smoke weed.

8. ^^ exactly what cookiecrisp said. thread closed.

9. I was expecting a slight twist on pastafarianism.

10. I agree. I refuse to get anything with those colors for that reason.

11. Rastafarianism is actually pretty crazy, they believe that the king of Etheopia in the 30's is God incarnate......Yeeaahh.

Most weed smokers who call themselves 'rastas' have no idea who this guy is most of the time...
    Haile Selassie I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. #13 RooksYR, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
    Babylon = The system. All forms of corruption and oppression. (or as some would say downpression)

13. You forgot the racial component, à la Marcus Garvey

14. #15 DDV, Jan 17, 2013
    My dad's side of the family lives in a country that has lots of legit rastafarians. One time during the summer I went to go visit and I hung out with one, named Xavier. We would make and sell bracelets and jewelry in a shack by the park. I remember he had a little iguana he would carry on his shoulder all the time haha. He was pretty cool.

The way of life is mainly about worship of their god Emperor Haille Selassie of Ethiopia as a reincarnation of Jesus christ himself. They believe cannabis helps them be closer to god, and many of them are vegetarian/ital (no salt). Natural way of life.. condemnation of Babylon (established system, politics, oppresion of black people, etc) and dreadlocks - because of a bible verse that mentions that no razor shall cut any hair on a man's head. They also believe the birthplace of humanity is in Africa and they consider it their homeland.

Though, the true practicing rastas are mainly in Caribbean islands and Africa. They have their own church even. You can be a rasta without believing in the traditional God though. At one time the white man was seen as evil and only blacks could be rasta but that time has come and gone and now anyone can be rasta. You just need to have the right mindset and a heart capable of loving.

15. ohh boy another one of these threads

16. Though i live on an island with many rastas i always wonder where they go to worship. Sometimes i wonder if its not hidden away in the bush somewhere.:confused_2:

17. Serious practitioners go to church, a certain form of Christian church (perhaps Ethiopian church) and they have a traditional worship there. For the most part though, "worship" is done by smoking chalices full of herbs and getting closer to Jah. :smoke:

18. #19 Judgement, Jan 17, 2013
    They might have a Tabernacle somewhere, what island?
    Ethiopian Orthodox Cristian (Ethiopian Tawedo Orthodox Church) Only certain Rasta do that though

19. #20 RooksYR, Jan 17, 2013
    I never see them at any of the churches. Ofcourse haven't been to all, apparently there is also hindu temple hidden away somewhere, so i suppose the rastas have their place too.

I would rather not say.

Thought that said "Ethiopian Taekwando Orthodox Church" for a sec. I could totally imagine it though:laughing:

p.s i don't know why that last quote is messed up