RastafarI

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by StonedCareBear, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Hey GC, I was just wondering your opinions on Rasta culture. I've been looking into Rasta culture and spirituality etc. having to do with Zion, Babylon, and Selassie. Would it be awkward, in your mind for me to by interested by this; Because i'm white? Short question, mainly looking for your responses.

2. Cons: It is just another silly religion with silly beliefs and silly dogmas.

Pros: You do get to smoke a lot of bud whilst listening to reggea, and call it a religious conviction.

3. #3 StonedCareBear, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2009
    Lol totally dude. The pros is why I looked into it, But with the cons, people have put work into a flying spaghetti monster so why not? Life is too short to take most things in this world seriously. :p

Reference: Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

4. "Not every dread is a Rasta and not every Rasta is a dread..."

... meaning I'd invest as much energy into it as you'd like. Every rasta I ever met had no issues with the color of flesh.

5. im white and was interested in it for a while. but you cant have any animal products and no salt. that ruined it for me =[

6. also i dont think the rastafari are quite happy with white people.. not saying theyre racist by any stretch, they have plenty of reason to hate white people

7. Rastafarians are by no means racist. We are so steeped in age old racism today that we feel that any pride in one's colour is an act of racism. Rastafarianism is a lifestyle not just a religion, and I believe Rastafarianism is true Christianity. You can be white, black, or bright green for all a Rasta cares. It is what you believe that counts.

Jah bless :)

8. In the views of the EABIC(Ethiopian African Black International Congress) a white man can not apply or be part of the organization. Take in mind though views of the Bobo differ from other sects of the movement. Prophet Gad, a leader of another sect teaches read the Bible a chapter a day, and find your own way and your own place.

9. Na bro, this is completely wrong, rastafari are hardly racist, first of all the jamaican culture is completely different from afro american culture, we didnt go through the same kind of hardships, though we do experience racism just the same

i dont believe in selassie as my savior, but i do hold a lot of the rastafari beliefs and traditions to my faith

stay spiritual, dont get yourself involved in RELIGION

10. Wth does this congress have to do with his question? just asking

11. The E.A.B.I.C. are Bobo Shanti, who are Rasta, and they disallow the involvement of any white man being a member.

12. A member of the E.A.B.I.C right?..

13. Add to this quote "The gift of Rastafari is for all man to share, but some would find that to be so unfair."

I know quite a bit about Rastafari and the like, I'm white also. I was into it before i started smoking too. So to answer your question- no, don't feel awkward.
    Just take from it what you believe in, and don't live condemned to the "rules" you don't want to. I share a love for some of their beliefs, but could not go without eating animal products.
    Nor would i deny a surgery to save me because i want to keep my body whole.
    I also like getting hair cuts...

I would also like to add: Don't go around rocking rasta armbands and that stuff just because you think its cool, i get sick of that stuff; though it sounds like you respect the culture and know about it :)

14. yes

15. #15 GrapDutchDrizzy, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2009
    ok thanks for the clarity bro

420th POST!!!

16. #16 KundaliniRising, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2009

By this logic I have plenty of reason to hate black people too. The Indians (native american, apparently the word indian is racist according to my friend) hate whites for taking their ancestors land, well, where my family grew up it was a beautiful city. Black people started moving in, now it's a run down shit hole ghetto. This goes for plenty of other once beautiful cities. Poverty doesn't not cut the grass, break windows out of buildings and houses, spray paint everything, etc. People do, and I don't see anything like that in white area's. Good enough reason to be racist right? Ha.

Imo, being a white guy interested in being a rasta, you wouldn't be taken seriously at all in your belief's. People would just think "what a stoner, his religion is based on pot"

Cuz face it, would you give 2 fucks about being a rasta if the religion didn't condone smoking weed? I doubt it. Sounds to me like you want a legitimate reason to hide the fact that you like getting high.

edit: go by what the one dude said, stay spiritual, but try to stay away from religion. I call my belief's a "religion", but my belief's main idea is to think for yourself. Learn all you can from various paths and take what is useful from them. No path is the "right" way, but theres certainly aspects of certain belief's that can be wrong.

17. the few words he spoke resulted in this reply? WOW