rasta

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by popsson, Jul 18, 2005.

1. in rasta culture kids start smoking at the age of 3. i saw it in a book about culture(so it wasnt photoshoped.) and these little girls,3 years old, were smoking some fat joints.

i think it would be funny as hell to see a todler stoned.

2. That's fuckin crazy. I'd smoke with a toddler.

3. lol my nieghbor is ghetto as hell and he gets his lil 9 year old bro smoke with him. its hella funny.

i would never do this but it 'would be funny to see a 1-2 year old stoned

4. blow some smoke in its face

5. Dude being rasta would be the sweetest thing live in jamaica or something

6. I've looked into rastafarianism a bit, and it doesn't seem like what most people assume.

According to http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/rast.html, rastafarianism was originally started by Marcus Mosiah Garvey, who's purpose was to unite all African Americans. He felt that " If Europe is for Europeans, then Africa is for the black people of the world."

There are more aspects, but as far as I can tell, marijuana smoking is not part of it. That just seems like a matter of preference.

I will end with one more quote:

So continue to wear your rasta colors and dreadlock your hair, but it seems to me like you're just contradicting an entire religion by doing so.

That's my two cents.

EDIT: Although living in Jamaica would be fun, because everyone is so laid back.

7. Jamaicans hate Americans though.

8. my little cousin smokes hes 12 ive smoked with him so many times he gets bom weed lol he lives in norcal and hes tight

9. That's an unfair generalization.

Also, there is a lot of dependence on where the rastafarianism is. There are different beliefs, different 'rules'. I have been into rastafarianism since i was a teenager and i've done alot of research, i've talked to alot of people, i even tried to persue rastafarianism for several years.

It is definatley a belief that is in upheaval due to a number of issues. As for toddlers smoking pot, i've seen it, but it has little to do with rastafarianism.

10. Alot of people do not realize that Rastas smoke marijuana for one main purpose. That main purpose is to "become" Jah (God). They believe smoking marijuana increases their spiritual capacity. I am not an expert on Rastafarianism and am not trying to sound like I am, but I have always been very intrigued by other cultures. Another thing is, Rastas spend countless hours reading and researching the bible. And on top of that, many orthodox Rastas do not eat any form of meat except fish and do not eat crab, shrimp or lobster due to the fact that they are the "scavengers" of the sea. Also, they cannot drink milk, carbonated beverages etc. and they cannot eat anything found underground such as salt. So by being a true Rasta, you are commiting to a multitude of things on top of smoking Ganja. Hope this was insightful.

Jah Bless

11. Ive done some research about Rastafarianism for class, and one of the main tenets is escaping and overcoming Babylon and returning to Zion (Ethiopa). White europeans are mainly blamed for Babylon, which is just basically all elements opressive to blacks, emphasizing those kidnapped for slavery. Marijuana is smoked to become closer to Jah (god) [I think someone said this already]. There are some interesting things, but it amused me when I saw a whit guy say he was rastafarianist because that is inherently contradictory.

12. lol wassap shaggy.. i did some research on rastafarian..well not really i just read alot about it on erowid.org, its a nice read if your interested in that kind of stuff..

13. I went to Jamaica and about 43 jamaicans on the beach offered to smoke me up.

Jamaicans are tight as hell as far as ive seen they don't hate anybody.

14. yeah it would be nice to go there.

i personally don't care for the idea of a 3 y/o smoking up. it's disturbing.

15. While I've heard that the Rastafarian movement was started with the intention of an all African-descended audience, I've heard that that distinction has lessened with the increased tourism and wider diversity now coming into Jamaica. I've also heard of various Rastafarian sects turning up in small western African communities where there is so much ganja it is said to be extremely cheap.

I've heard varying stories about Rasta camps in Africa where walking in on their fields of cannabis can be reacted with either extreme violence or extreme benevolence, depending on the sect. Unfortunately, it seems to me, that many Rastas have become simple drug dealers, growing and shipping ganja into the Americas, rather than respecting the tradition of Rastafarianism as a religion. This is only an assumption, however, and shouldn't in any way be taken seriously.

I, personally, am skeptical of the Rastafarian movement because I cannot bring myself to believe that even the most psychoactive chemicals (DMT, DPT, iboga, ayahuasca) in the world can bring one closer to God, if there is one, of which I am also skeptical (not Atheist or Agnostic, simply skeptical).

16. One of the first aspects of Rastafari that come to mind when people hear of Rastafari is their use of marijuana. The smoking Ganja for a Rasta is a special experience. They use the Ganja to help enlighten their mind so they can correctly reason the ways of the world. The Ganja is always smoked in a ritual way. Before smoking the plant the Rasta will say a prayer to Jah (God) or to Haile Selassie I. The Rasta call them reasoning sessions when they use Ganja for Nyabinghi. A Nyabinghi session is much different from a casual marijuana smoking session that western people take part in. People in the west smoke marijuana for social and entertainment reasons. In the west smoking the weed may lead to a silly time of laughing and horse play. This differs greatly from what takes place during a Nyabinghi. A Nyabinghi is a taken very seriously. Acting silly would be considered disrespectful to a Rasta. Before Rasta smoke the ritual plant, they say a prayer to their god Haile Selassie.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

17. we rastas believe in love and Inity and we dont use rastafarinism just simply rastafari. the herb is used for meditation and not to drunken ourselves. the herb is a natural resource the same as every other tree you see. you dont have to smoke and my mother, who is also a rasta doesnt smoke, atleast i dont see her doin it, but it is a way of life and you dont have to be black to be a rasta. recognize JAH, Yeshua, Haile Selassie I and all the prophets of the old and today.