Rap sucks...

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by illcid, May 30, 2003.

?

What do you listen to when your high?

1. techno

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. rap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. alternative/rock/punk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. clasical

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. jazz/easy-listening

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. country

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. yea jedi mind tricks pretty good.. as for sage francis you gotts get crackpipes, pretty much all of stuff from "unhealthy distrust" is pretty good too

screwed?

2. I dont really like mainstream rap, but I do like a few crucial rap songs:

Bone thugz in harmony:

Weed Song
    Ecstasy
    Where is tha bud
    Bad weed blues

Yeah thats only 4 songs, but 3 of them are crucial for potheads and it sounds damn good blitzed.

As for what I usually listen to:
    Bob Marley
    Beatles

Or any other kind of chill cool music.

Some 80's metal like Iron Maiden or Slayer or some shit.

3. yuh...bone thugs do get down...and to the original poster...u need to calm down and probably keep your opinion to yourself...

but you don't even have to keep it to yourself...just change your frame of mind. Intead of saying rap sux(or naming the topic that) you could pose a question and ask people who listen to rap to prove why it doesn't...you probably wouldn't have gotten some of us mad(and am I the only one that slightly took offense to his 'you people are so angry' comment?wtf is that supposed to mean? or am i confused?)

If he would have been an Adult and just came at rap/hip-hop listeners the right way we could have had a good discussion.

But yea...i'm very open minded about music and probably have a favorite song in about 6-7 different genres of music...but i mostly listen to underground texas rap(why?)<-----because i relate...thats all it boils down to. People like the music they like...mostly because they relate to the artist and his/her lyrics are real to them...or else you wouldn't like that person, correct? not enough to listen to their music on a constant basis.

I love rap...its an escape. The better MCs can wrap you up w/ your imagination if they do it right(i.e. Biggie, Pac, Big L, Jay Z, Z-Ro(Guerilla Maab), Tech 9, Chamillionaire, Jadakiss(L.O.X.), Dirty, UGK, Bone Thugs, T.I., Paul Wall(Chick Magnet), underground 50/G Unit(especially if you get to hear some of Lloyd Banks' old freestyles)....

but at the same time i listen to classical/piano music, sing jazz/classical and i know how to read sheet music...and i understand that all of this music we listen to is connected...rap owes its existance to funk, funk owes its existance to Rhythm and Blues....R&B owes its existance to Rock, rock owes its existance to Jazz/Doo Wop...which owes its existance to country/classical....and so on...just chill.:cool:

lmao...sorry for the long read....i'm wasted and this thread made me mad:smoke:

4. You just made yourself sound retarded.

5. hell yea man, screwed up click

UGK one of the hardest groups come out of texas, dirty is hard too.. yean heard, chamillionaires mix tape messiah was hard too, lil keke is hard, Z-Ro tight, mr pookie and mr lucci, Big Tuck, Scarface, lil flip man we got alot of similar tastes in music...

i love the whole fucking screwed up click...

check out dj screw... its pretty much just taking a song and slowing it down heavily and choppin it sometimes (like have some parts repeated and shit like that)

it was pretty much started out from them sippin codeine(script cough syrup), and it slows you down

6. When it comes to rap (what they play on the radio) most of it does suck. But dont get me wrong some of it is nice and most of the beats r dope. But when it comes to real music i like to listin to some hip-hop (underground). I know that some rapers claim that their style is hip hop but its rap. When it comes to hip hop these r the guys making real music:

*MF Doom - best cd in my opinion is Madvillian produced by Madlib
    *Quasimoto aka Madlib - cds the unseen and the further adventures of lord quas
    *Lootpack
    *Project Blowed
    *Busdriver - member of project blowed
    *Awol One
    *Wu-Tang Clan - best mc in the group in my opinion is the Gza
    *Nas
    *Peanut Butter Wolf
    *MR. Lif
    *Medaphor

I hope this will help change some of your minds about rap, because its not all rap it just sounds like it but its a totaly diffrent sound when u pay close attaention.

an_droid_45 aka Americas Most Blunted on the map!:smoke:

7. music....the universal language....like any language there are many different dialecs.

not everyone can speak...or understand all the dialecs....

speak the language you understand.....and try to interpet the ones you dont...some you may never understand...but...someone else may speak it fluently...while not understanding the language you speak...

Rap...an Hip hop...I dont understand....Ive heard some I could relate to...and some I will never get....just like classical....and country...an grundge....

its your choice what to listen to thats the point....thats why music is so diversified....

I was raised on 60-70-80's rock in roll....so naturally I feel most comfortable with that type...but I listen to new stuff and like alot of it too...

8. Classic Rock OWns!!

9. I like TOOL and P.O.D so its rock for me,but i like rap too when its good :rolleyes:

10. why cant you just say you dislike rap?

11. maybe those faggot ass wigger wnnabe blacks who think 50 cent are gay, but if you have any taste to rap you know mainstream is gay. Back when rap was old school gangster rap it was ill. The days when NWA, Eazy E ruled the world. Eazy E, NWA, Cpress Hill, Immortal Technique(underground rapper), and Method Man are.

I reall don't give a shit if you hate mainstream rap, but u hav a problem to be dissin the old school shit. Fuck you

12. that'd be true if rap was only what you hear on the radio, listen to som real rappers, that talk about real stuff, like tonedeff or talib kweli, there is a lot more to rap than what u hear on the radio, but then the same go for any type of music....ehhh, i dont really want to argue about this, but there are good and bad artists from every type of music, except country they all suck, lol, dont stereotype em all because of what you hear on the radio...

13. Come on thats just straight ignorance, just because you don't like it doesn't mean its bad. There's mainstream rap thats the exact same thing as mainstream rock don't let it reperesent a whole genre of music that's as complex as any other.

As for what you said about 60's rock, I think that more people conform to that (and 70's too) then they do with rap and that, although not bad whatsoever, is highly overrated and misunderstood/under-appreciated.

I do think that the 60's/70's were probably the best time for rock, but I think now is just the same for rap.

14. I agree with you chronic king, that's why I only listen to old 90's rap and 80's rap to. All this new mainstream bullshit they play on the rap station over were I live all sucks more than the $2.00 ho on the corner. Back then they made all good music. Now I'm not saying all rap sucks that comes out now I love all this undergound shit thats coming out.

15. Completely true. listen to me and this man. Rap is the shit if its old school or underground.

Fuck mainstream

16. Hey, I'm a hip-hop and rap DJ, and occasionally I do drum and bass. But me, all I use is old school rap records for my music and mixes.

17. i like how a lot of you refer to NWA, wu-tang, and other rappers of that time as "old school". that definitely is not old school. im not saying its bad though. i love that shit and think some of the best albums of all time came out of the early 90s rap era. i was just pointing out the fact that it isnt old school.

18. Well basically you are right that 90's hip-hop is not classified as old school rap. But you can't deny that all that music came out a decade ago so it can amount to being around for a while. Now old school rap is defiently The Sugarhill Gang, Run D.M.C, Jimmy Rythems, Jazzy Jeff, etc.

19. Nah man, not Jazzy, he's still doin his thing. He was Dj'ing at The cell and it was insane. His skill has aged like a fine wine. :smoke:

20. Yeah I got that new mix he did. It's kind of like Dr. Dre. He's still all right if he cuts down on mainstream