RAM help

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Grimm420, Nov 30, 2012.

1. so the laptop I use now is a hp dv5-1002nr, it started being slow as shit the last 2 weeks and any video I play is laggy. I've tried everything I can to fix it other than completely resetting to factory cuz I dont have an external hdd for all my shit. I had a toshiba satellite l305-s5955. the hp only has 3gb ram, I believe the toshiba has 4g. the toshiba I had for 4-5 years but it shit out on me, this hp is maybe a year younger or so. could I pull the ram out of my toshiba and put it into my hp without any problems?

2. You need to find out what specific RAM is in both of the machines along with the slot configuration. There is a free app you can find on the Crucial site that is useful for this purpose.

If it's the same or compatible, swap it in. Maxing out your RAM should definitely help.

3. Looks like it'll work. Both laptops use ddr2 800mhz ram. But I don't think your problem is lack of memory. You said it got really slow in the last couple of weeks. This can be a virus infection, windows corruption, or even HD failure.

4. well I opened up the toshiba and found out it only had 2gb not 4, so its pointless on that front.

I've scanned for everything, I've used disk cleanup, disk defrag, puran defrag, ccleaner, MSE, advanced systemcare, malwarebytes. I've tried using the insystem repair but it shuts down while on the loading files screen. cant even just restart it cuz it does the same thing, end up having to do a bunch of bs before starting it normal.

most likely I'll have a job in january so I was just gonna buy a new one(probly somewhat custom) and not deal with this, but I dont know how much longer its gonna be working. I dont think its the hard drive failing, corrupted files most likely or just it being old. cpu is fine when I'm not doing shit but if a page is loading or I'm watching a video(either online or off hdd) whatever program I'm using jumps up to 70-80% and total cpu is always 98-100%

5. Probably its the CPU is bottlenecking the computer.

(almost spelled as buttholenecking because im so tired lol)

you more than likely have too many things running at once. check your processes. windows is usually running a lot of bullshit that you dont need...

its probably time for a new computer....

6. Ahahahahafuckingha!

7. I would recommend doing a clean install of Windows. Partition your drive and store all your important data on a separate partition from Windows.

If you don't want to do that, you could simply run Linux. You can run most distros from a live CD or even a flash drive. I recommend Ubuntu :)

Good luck.