Raise Voting Age to 21

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AlienBlood, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Then why is the drinking age 18 over here and in a lot of other places? Stop drinking the kool aid.

2. I don't know, maybe you guys just dgaf? Why do some European countries find OKAY to give alcohol to kids as young as 5 or sometimes even younger? I know that you know America is exceptional in that we have out of control propaganda and lies flowing through our media and especially at election times. For this reason we cannot be compared to other countries because this is a factor that is mostly just relevant to the USA. What I would like is to destroy these media conglomerates or suppress them and bring mass media information back to the people, more locally. But until that happens all I am suggesting to Americans is that we allow our poor voters to mature a little more so they can be better able to decipher the bullshit from truth.

:)

3. You think America is the only country that has to deal with lies and bullshit at election time? Seriously?

I'd suggest lowering the voting age if anything, maturity isn't a factor of age. I know some kids that are far more mature and intelligent than some of my friends.

4. :rolleyes: We are allowed to use money to influence elections with virtually no limitations. Lower the voting age? Okay now I know you're fucking with me.

Anyways, so Americans....

5. I think all the ages should be raised to 21 actually.

I have more reasons for cigarettes then voting. But basically I think people are much more mature at 21.

Most 18 year old's are still in high school.

6. Our government has drafted 17 year old kids and sent them to die in foreign wars that were not just illegal but down right criminal.

Don't police in America beat and tase adolescent handicapped kids?

No matter if everyone votes or nobody votes the results would be the same.

I'd suggest boycotting your vote all together since the US gov is a big fat fail.

This government don't get its power from the people any longer. That power comes from somewhere else now. This should be obvious.

Wikileaks Reveals U.S. Tax Dollars Fund Child Sex Slavery in Afghanistan | Change.org News

7. Do you honestly believe they hate us for our freedom? :confused:

8. Well America also has many states with blue laws that forbid alcohol on Sunday, yet we are a secular nation.

It is really more about control than anything else. Check google for vote fraud 2008 and see what I mean.

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.” Josef Stalin

9. #29 Arteezy, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
    I was mature enough to vote at the age of 16 if not younger. I know people over the age of 40 that just vote D or R every election. What's with the ageism? Dumb people come in all shapes, sizes and ages. An age restriction on something like voting won't change anything.

The OP talks about analyzing data, but never actually links to any specific data. One has to wonder what data he's actually analyzed. Did the OP even read the 9/11 Commission Report? Does he know who coined the term "blowback"?

OT: Many males' brains aren't fully developed until they are 25. Also, lol at OP's impression of a soldier who likes Ron Paul's policies. The lack of any substance in the OP's posts along with his ad hominems and strawmans lead me to believe he is a troll.

10. So you hate the freedom of states to adjust laws that fit according to their culture regardless of what kind of "nation" we are in. Anything else?

11. No, he's not saying that at all. He was alluding to the fact that voting can be irrelevant if there isn't any way of verifying the integrity of the voting process. Do you know anything about electronic voting machines?

Your ignorance on almost every topic I have seen you discuss is staggering.

12. Meh. No age limits on anything. If one wants to fuck themselves up/over, then so be it.

Life's a party, be naked.

As for me, I enjoy alcohol and have since I was 18. I guess if there needed to be a drinking age it should be 14-16 and do like Europe does and have a nice glass of wine with dinner and not have all this binge drinking on the weekends that kids take part in, myself included.

I feel like if I grew up with a respect and understanding of alcohol I'd be less inclined to party like it was 1828.

13. Meh. No age limits on anything. If one wants to fuck themselves up/over, then so be it.

Life's a party, be naked.

As for me, I enjoy alcohol and have since I was 18. I guess if there needed to be a drinking age it should be 14-16 and do like Europe does and have a nice glass of wine with dinner and not have all this binge drinking on the weekends that kids take part in, myself included.

I feel like if I grew up with a respect and understanding of alcohol I'd be less inclined to party like it was 1828.

As for voting, it's each person's choice/duty/responsibility to gain the knowledge of what is going on in their country. Honestly I blindly voted for Obama, won't make that mistake again. I honestly knew nothing about any politicians outside of what the mass media told me. I feel like if kids get educated properly, 18 is certainly a fine age to vote.

14. Why not lower it? Everyone has an opinion. I know some stupid people at much older ages than 21, should they also not be allowed to vote if they are immature? Or is your view on maturity that it magically happens to everyone on their 21st birthday?

15. Nothing is perfect. Laws like this are made for practical reasons. Even an immature 30 year old most likely has a full-time job, possibly even a house, etc.. But when you're 18-21 there's a good chance you're at college, your parents house, and there's an even greater chance, as you gain more knowledge and experience, that when you get older you won't still support the same ideology that you used to on the grounds that you knew absolutely nothing...

16. So you're argument is based on the fact that people change? Some people change into even bigger idiots, whether or not they currently have a job is irrelevant to whether or not they should be allowed to vote.

17. You could argue anyone who is effected by the governments decisions should have the right to vote on them.

18. How about anyone who pays taxes. :)

19. That would include many people under the age of 21.

20. Interesting facts for everyone:

The age for voting and alcohol both used to be 21. But there was backlash with all the tweener 18-21 year olds in the army. Then they lowered it. It was like this until the 1950s i believe.