Rain Water...Distilled Water... Spring Water...Tap Water

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MissBaracuta, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Which is better?   Rain water................spring water...........distilled water........tap water?

The reason why I am asking I have all the types of water and was wondering which is better.  When it comes to rain water I have 15 rain barrels I have here on my land.  Almost everyone is filled to the brim.  Each one is 50 gallons.  I use the rain water when I have my veg garden going each spring.  But have plenty to use if it is the better water, in my hydro grow if it would work better.  So which do you recommend?

2. I would personally use rainwater if you have enough of it available, but you might want to do a few PPM/pH/EC tests on it first.

3. I have roughly around 800 gallons of rain water, so have plenty and I thought the rain water would be best of all too.  Works the best in my veg garden every year over tap water so was wondering

4. Rain water can be quite acidic mostly city rain water, but obviously plants grow outside it's still a viable option, spring and distiled water is good, i use tap water left 24 in a charcoal filter, it's important not to leave it it to long the more oxygen the better and you can get root rot with left still water, as low oxygen in water promotes pythium 

5. I live by the beach but in the country.   hard to explain.  but yes I agree with you at times it can be quite acidic when near a big city or in the big city.  Can get all the spring water I want just was trying which was best to use.  now if I was growing outside then would use just rain water and spring.  But think you for your help

6. #6 rain dancer, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    All water has stuff in it unless u get distilled. Its been through a few filtrations, like uv light, charcoal filter, reverse osmosis, etc.

Plants in hydropnics and other mediums will experience cal mag and other deficiencies due to the extreme filtration of the water, meaning, theres not a lot of beneficial goodies in it.

Rainwater where you are will be great for gardens, esp if youve grown with it. In polluted areas expect pollutant in water. It does carry some contaminates or pollutants regardless, thats my experience.

Tap water contains all the additives for city water such as chlorine, fluoride(tooth decay), etc. it is also phed to a certain level, usually 6.5-8

Spring water is often jus tap water bottled in cities like los angelas, new york, etc. Very rarely is it ever from a spring. Most bottled waters come from big cities.

bottled waters from pepsi, coke, etc. often contain many more pollutants, toxic metals, etc since they have less oversight than city water, and are allowed to be bottled in plants that also bottle sodas, so theyre held to sodas standards, not water. Thats why lots of people find metal and junk in bottle water when they send it off to labs, some include substances like arsenic in near toxic amounts.

Well water is also good, but could lack some calcium, but often contains lots of minerals. Plus, if you live in an old house with old pipes you have the added benefit of iron in your diet/plants diet :D

I recommend a hanna ph meter and some sort of tds/ppm meter to test for solids and other junk in your water. These are great tools to carry when you travel as well to be sure jus what youre puttin in your body.