Racial Disparities Exist. Why?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by WeedOrchard, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Now I get the whole "Lyrical Samurai" tag ;) We live in times when people's good intentions turn to shit in the face of opposition. Cynicism, sarcasm and disregard rule today's debates and when you put social/political debates in text format on forums like this that shit just gets magnified by a thousand.
    Big ups for stepping back on having enough faith in yourself and others to acknowledge you may have committed a fault. That, my friend, is rare in debates these days.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. #182 Sandspur06, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    That's why I said a LARGE NUMBER of people, instead of just black people. I personally have been mulling around the idea of an online course for YEARS but I haven't been able to convince myself it's worth it for ME. Everyone I know that has a college degree either is constantly haunted by tuition collectors and/or have a job that has absolutely no connection to what their degree is for. A lot of employers I think just care you have either a proof of commitment to SOMETHING or a massive debt keeping you bound to the punch clock. I also think that is a critical element in the differences in income levels between black and white. The fact that there are so few college scholarships for White Males means they have to rely on college loans to get degrees. That means a very large amount of the pay scale difference is spent on DEBTS and quality of life is dependent upon money management.

3. Nice quote. Its actually documented quite extensively. Indentured servitude is much different than slavery. They essentially worked off their prison sentence, or their boat fee for coming to America. They were given better living quarters and more social respect than slaves, and they weren't servants forever, after 4 - 7 years which was the time it took to pay their debt, they were free. They weren't segregated after, and they weren't lynched ect because of their skin color. It wasn't illegal for them to learn to read ect, ect.

In these debates Irish indentured servitude always gets brought up, but indentured servitude and slavery are not really close to equal.

4. Its not good. I'd imagine whites that were living in that society were not treated well. I imagine if they were freed that there was still a stigma that created social barriers based soley on their skin color. Slavery is not good regardless whose being affected. Its not only bad when it was leveled at blacks in America, what you describe is bad too. Not good.

5. I think those are significant variables in determining success. But I don't think they are the only 2 variables. I also think that policy influences those variables (ie school funding ect), just like policy influences white financial success rates. You say we didn't get more racist, but how exactly are you quantifying racism? How are you calculating the total values in which you're comparing, to come to that conclusion? I'm not saying we are, or we aren't, I'm just curious how you're coming up with the metric you're using to assert that?

I've posted this several times but it really keeps missing the people that need to see it the most imo. This is a quote by Lee Atwater, advisor to Ronald Reagan, and George H.W. Bush, as well as the head of the Republican National Committee from 1989 -1991...

"You start out in 1954 by saying, 'Nigger, nigger, nigger.' By 1968 you can't say 'nigger' -- that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.

And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me -- because obviously sitting around saying, 'We want to cut this,' is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than 'Nigger, nigger.' So, any way you look at it, race is coming on the back-burner.
    "

Racism was being socially shamed, so it had to take on a different form. Changing the tax code around and other policy positions which negatively affected blacks were used in replace of the lynch mobs etc. Not all policy was racist, but many times that's how politicians secured an office or won an election. They pushed for racially oppressive legislation and rhetoric ect to get the southern racist vote.

6. #186 ChiefRunningPhist, Jul 6, 2020
    He hasn't shown his tax records, so no one knows what he's into, or how much he's evaded or owes, or perhaps how much of an upstanding citizen he is (lol). I don't like the tax code and I didn't vote for trump. Amazon the biggest online retailer didn't pay taxes for 2 years straight! This isn't because of liberal policy, this is from Republican lobbyist, tax loop-hole, heaven. Then trump and the GOP decide to pass a new tax cut (big part of trumps tax cut was corporate tax cuts) despite these corporations squirming out of most all their tax obligations anyways, (shhh quiet, because this is all while the deficit is ballooning, ... smh). This all from the party that claims conservative fiscal responsibility. The party of accountability and Puritanism elects a draft dodging, tax evading, fraud committing, habitually lieing, sexual predator and then spends 4 years trying to defend their hypocrisy. When almost half the country is too compromised to vote in their best interest, running based on facts and reality is an uphill battle. Just ask ol Bernie ha

7. We definitely aren’t more racist now than we were in the 60s

At this point to me it seems less about the color and more about being politically correct and the potential of getting fired, having your online career taken away, and forever shunned in the public eye.

I’m not too excited to see where we will end up with this whole “cancel culture” and accountability stuff that’s going on. It’s dangerous because it jeopardizes freedom of speech. When you actively make one truth THE ONLY truth and anyone who says otherwise is demonized, you open up a can of worms that isn’t good for anyone.

We have come so far and now are stuck in the intricacies of Internet culture, people feelings being hurt and whatever else. It’s lame.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. School funding is almost totally insignificant compared to IQ and 2 parents in the home. By what metrics do I say that we are less racist today than in the 1960s? Old school text books literally explained the understood (and misunderstood) differences between all the races. There were segregation laws. Name one racist law today. Kids are taught that everyone is exactly the same. If anything, kids are taught that white people are bad and owe something to everyone else. Maybe those lies actually have consequences. States' rights is too serious and complex an issue to dismiss it as coded racism. (Though that is maybe the only way to win the states' rights argument from the centralization of power side, by riling up casuals with lies.) It is an issue as old as the Federalist papers and the Constitution.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. #189 WeedOrchard, Jul 6, 2020
    I just want to say again that everyone is an individual and should be judged as such. The differences between groups do not say anything about individuals. Sensitive topic. I love y'all

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dont you mean the majority of Americans voted?

11. Your IQ is dependent on your education. Geography, and English, along with Algebra ect are all part of the IQ test. The states rights position being discussed in the quote was strictly about Federal ruling against the racist Jim Crow laws of the southern states. The states wanted to maintain segregation ect and the federal government was saying no. Thus the states rights position in which the quote is referring to. I agree with states rights as long as they don't violate our federal constitution or enable racist legislation ect.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The majority of IQ is hardware, and the hardware is highly heritable. No amount of education raises IQ after a point. That would be an educational breakthrough. It would be a lot cooler if it did. I agree with you on states rights then.

13. So I copy and pasted this from my post on another thread. But i think it belongs here more.

Let's talk 100%. Slavery was shit. But had the slaves not been brought to America a vast number of African Americans wouldn't even exist. Africa has been a war torn Continent for a very long time. Still is. Whether from from other countries/continents or war lords/politicians etc. A lot of their ancestors would've died under a machete or a Kalashnikov rifle and they would've and/or would still be living in horrible conditions there. Refugees still flock to America from Africa. The modern American (of ALL RACES) has developed a twisted sense of ENTITLEMENT and the "give me" effect. If they haven't seen or experienced what the rest of the world is really like they don't know how good they have it. But BLM has now turned to "Give me, or ELSE" and it will cost a LOT of lives on both sides. It has already begun and it WILL go insanely BAD for alot of good Americans. I truly pity the young under 13. Who have to experience this obserdity but at the same time they have already developed the Entitlement problem. So this will be a long arduous journey that will set this entire country up to be victimized. Time to dig your heels deep and pray for the sake of the Entire Nation. If you don't think everywhere in the world is viewing a divided, weak, Super Power your fooling yourselves. Covid deaths will seem minuscule compared to what the future entails if we don't get this under control and realize a UNIFIED front. It's unfortunate but I truly would not be surprised if we end up hearing we are on the "brink of war" with another country and they flood the media with it. Because hard as it is to admit... NOTHING UNIFIES PEOPLE MORE THAN A COMMON HATRED.
    I truly hope the best for everyone tho. Be safe.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I know this isn't in the religious section so please excuse me but have any of you Americans ever stopped to consider the fact that almost all American preisidents have been openly religious.....
    I think there was 1 who wasn't openly religious but none who have said they are atheist.
    Is that correct?
    If it is....well..... racism must be gods will.
    Otherwise these men wouldn't have become president and been able to enforce the apparently "systemic racism " within every controlling force in the US. .....
    anyone??

15. I don't get it. Whether or not something is God's will does not depend on the religiosity of the US President. I suppose if there is a God, and God is all powerful and all knowing, then everything that happens is according to God's plan. This is one of the most dissatisfying elements of religious thought, in my opinion. Does seem off topic...

• Like Like x 1
  16. So you're saying that a person cannot make themselves more intelligent or train their brain to think differently?
    That sounds like a religious person saying god controls us and we have no free will.
    Do you fear god?

17. #197 Spanish@rcher, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    My point is mate. If all US presidents are religious....
    Then the vast, vast, vast majority of people living in America, who are legal to vote, are also religious.
    Therefor America and it's population want religious people to reign supreme and for religious people to make the laws based on their own personal, religious beliefs.
    Regardless of what they may be in their moral standing. As long as they admit to fearing god then people will vote for them.

As long as the runners don't admit to being atheist, and say they align with some sort of Christianity or Catholicism .
    Nobody will ever bat an eyelid because then you have to take on god!
    An imaginary being whose existence has never been proven in the slightest yet is feared by more than the majority.

If an entire continent continuously votes for people who are scared to say certain words in fear of eternal damnation then there is absolutely no hope.
    Go try and find out what religion my countries leader is.
    Her names Nicola Sturgeon.
    If she admitted to believing in some mythical creature that defined her every move and defied free will. Thus calling herself a meaningless puppet with some sort of diety pulling her strings and speaking for her....
    Well...shed be sectioned into a mental asylum before her feet were even out the door of Bute House.
    She won't say iether way though and that's why she's going nowhere.
    We all love her.
    Because we all love her she can't act in a religious way.
    That would show she's religious.
    However, not acting in a religious way doesn't mean you aren't religious.
    She alienates nobody specifically other than "brittish unionists"
    Of which they're aren't very many so who cares.

Point being. Race isn't the problem.
    Religion is.
    Black people are religious too though so they can't play that card for the reason that ALL poor Americans struggle...
    So they're doing what school kids do and stamping their feet shouting "nah nah nah I'm not listening ! Nah nah nah God said it so it must be true nah nah nah poopoohead"

Can you see the point? Or did you stop listening when you heard I don't believe In religion and automatically asume I'm talking shite.

18. This is definitely off topic. I could get into all the great things that religion has done for humanity but I won't go to far. What I will say is that I am not conventionally religious but do have beliefs, as everyone does. Fact is we all have opinions we assume are facts but the more knowledgeable you are about science the less you understand about reality. The problem isn't religion, it's people. People are part of the natural world, we weren't born saints or sinners, as so many religious people believe, we're a complex mix of both. The things with atheism is that it has become its own religion that is based on "facts" but the fact of life is that if you are too sure of yourself about anything then you are certainly wrong, and if you haven't been proven wrong yet, just give it time.

I'm gonna stop there for the most part, but I will say that religion is like pandora's box - there is a lot of uncontrollable mess that comes out but there is so much more to it than the bad. Religion isn't the problem people and their certainty of their own ideas and biases is, and noone has taught me that more than the atheists who completely disregard the triumphs of religion.

I'm not gonna continue on this religious boat though. That's for a new thread.

19. Good for you bud. I'm not religious either.

Yeah, I'm saying that you can't move your IQ very much at all. It would be a lot cooler if you could. Sam Harris compares it to being an NFL lineman. You can do all the work and have all the right coaches, but if you aren't 300 lbs and fast in the first place, you aren't an NFL lineman.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hmm.. suppose I can accept it when you put it that way. Not a football guy but I get the analogy.
    In order to learn you would need the iq in the first place. If it's not there then you can't learn it no matter what you do.

• Like Like x 1