Racial Disparities Exist. Why?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by WeedOrchard, Jun 21, 2020.

1. One thing we can all agree on is that racial disparities exist. Many disparities are worse now than they were in the 1960's. Are we more racist today than we were in the 1960's? Or is there a different explanation? Let's have that "honest conversation about race" we keep hearing about.

I do not feel like donning traditional African raiments and dropping to my knees to beg forgiveness. I don't think the police or the justice system or the banks or the schools are racist.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. It's about to get a lot worse too. The current climate of "black power " is alienating a lot of people. Ultimately I believe it's creating a lot of racism and having the exact opposite effect if it's intention.
    I had absolutely nothing against anyone regardless of their skin colour untill recently. I can't say my attitude is still the same though.
    I'm basing my shift in opinion on people's actions though. The fact that my opinion of black people has changed so much recently is based purely on their behaviour. Their race has nothing to do with it but I will still be classed as a racist.... for having a problem with someone's behaviour...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Well, the argument is that white people as a collective have hindered the progress of black people as a collective in America. This is not untrue.

I do not think the current method is a smart way of achieving racial cohesion. In fact, I think it's just making things worse. I think the American left has a truly worthy cause to fight for, here, but are going about fighting it in the absolute dumbest way possible, as they have been doing for a while now.

There will be short-term victories, as there were for the identity politics movement of 14/15, but it will ultimately be destructive for the cause. Is my humble prediction.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1

4. Its not all Black People that acting out like that so don't be Saying we all Doing the same ting...I Havent done anyting Wrong at all an ima Black Girl. If you Judging us all for what some Do then you are a Racist like it or not.:confused_2:

~Toni~

• Like x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  5. You mean like what black people are doing just now and blaming all their problems on white people. Can you not see the irony in your statement?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Well that was a short conversation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. #7 Dizzy, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020

It not my Problem whatother People do i Stay to my Self anyways. you Keep Saying Black People like we all do this. I don't Blame my Problems on White People!!! You Doing the same ting that you mad at others for Doing. An I Know you Probably going to Say I'm stupid but idc I never Said I was the Smartest but at least I know what's Right an Wrong unlike some People around here.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Not all black people are blaming their problems on all white people just like not all white people have done something negative to any black people. Black people that are blaming all white people are racist and white people that are acting like all black people are blaming white people end up being racist as well. The blame needs to start being pointed at the people that are the problem and not the people that are just associated by race

It was a short conversation that didn't get any longer because you didn't input anything into it

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. I think I made my point clearly, but maybe it went over your head, so let me dumb it down for you: If you want to have a "real conversation" on a difficult topic, the worst way to start the conversation is by saying, "One thing we call can agree on." That communicates that your mind is already made up, you can't imagine any room for disagreement, and you are looking for a soapbox to rant, not a genuine two-way conversation. If the OP wanted to actually have "that honest conversation about race" then there are much more open and receptive ways they could have phrased the question than leading off with "I'm sure everybody must agree with me."

Like the old expression goes: Garbage in, garbage out.

@WeedOrchard then went on to confirm my suspicions, that it was a troll post, with their "donning traditional African raiments" quip.

• Creative Creative x 2
  10. Not sure how you "made your point clearly" considering the only thing you said earlier was "Well that was a short conversation."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lets see the dems seem to think they got the black vote everytime so.

• Like Like x 2
  12. We all agree that racial disparities exist.

I'll quip about whatever raiments I like, thank you very much.

Feel free to contribute your thoughts on the source of racial disparities, unless you are really just going to deny that they exist.

• Like Like x 1
  13. This topic is sensitive because we are talking about groups. People are individuals and should of course be judged as such. Some folks really tie their group into their personal identity, so confronting any data about groups can be very sensitive. I want everyone to know that I love 'em.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. I will continue to share my thoughts in the legitimate, non-troll discussion threads on this very important topic.

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. I thought you said some people think racial disparities don't even exist. How important can the topic of racial disparities be if we can't even all agree that they exist.

The disparities are wider now than in the 1960s. Are we more racist now than we were in the 1960s?

16. Much of that these days is attributed directly to the internet. So many feel they have to scream their views to those who have opposite views. Tedious.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I don't understand. The black single motherhood rate has risen to almost 80% because the internet has made racism worse than it was in the 1960s, is that right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. i feel too much sensitivity exists around the racial differences between people of color and non-color (white?). i ran a retail business for 4 years and the foot traffic averaged 125 people per day - we all have to eat drink and buy the occasional gift.

now i am pre-supposing the following based on my daily interactions with a representation of every walk of human flesh on the planet so maybe i'm wrong but as a caucasian myself, if a white dude walked in my shop and i didnt like the way he looked or didnt like the smell of his breath and i said so there are a number of ways that could work out. if a person of color were in the same scenario it too may work out in one of several different ways but i can guarantee that at some point during the interaction i would hear the words, "you're a racist". especially if said person was an african-american.

black and brown people give way too much credit to "white people" for being consciously aware of every single thing we do. some of us white folks are rude, mean, and nasty, but it doesnt mean we are racist if we behave in that manner around a person of color. it just means that "white dude" is rude, mean, and nasty.

there's enough opinions about that defines what is considered being racist today - the list just keeps getting longer - so unless a person is 100% convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that a person is behaving "racist" towards them why dont you give your fellow human a break? maybe that "white dude" is having a bad day or maybe you should try some tic-tacs.

just saying, everyone should quit being so doggone sensitive and being so quick to jump to a conclusion. especially a conclusion that has already been pre-determined in ones mind based on preconceived notions of skin color.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3

19. Much Respect Possuum! I always can Count on you to Keep it Real My Friend.:thumbsup:

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. #20 squirksa, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    It's the nature of the beast, as is the propensity to resist change, even to the detriment of our fellow humans.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1