Qwiso Purge Help? *please Reply.

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Mr-NiceGuy, Jun 25, 2014.

1. I have a couple qwiso questions and would greatly appreciate some help. First, let me explain the way I go about it. What I do, is take my starting material, freeze the iso, the herb(usually trim), and the jar I'll be using for about 24-48 hours. I then take the shit out of the freezer and quickly transition the trim into the jar and pour the iso over is and swirl loosely for 15-20, place a coffee filter over the top of the jar and holding it with my hands, flip the jar upside down straining the alcohol onto a plate that I leave outside for 24-48 hours. Once I notice that the alcohol has evaporated I take a lighter to the plate to see for any movement in the flame or crackling. If I see none, I heat the surface of the plate with a blow dryer for a quick second and scrape it up with a razor blade. Now for the questions:       

1.) Is there anyway to further purge the alcohol out? I've ordered a coffee mug warmer offline (stores were out around here) to see if that help release some of the trapped fumes or whatever. 

2.) Would it be worth getting a griddle to set my plate on to speed up the evaporation process or should I just keep letting in evaporate from air. I didn't know if the low heat would damage any terpenes or not.

3.) I've been experimenting with different consistencies. Does anybody know any techniques for developing different textures of qwiso?

The help is greatly appreciated! -Mr.NiceGuy 

2. #2 7Grams, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2014
    Couples tips.

Put the bud in the jar before you freeze everything. Saves you precious second that you used when transferring the material. Put a breathable cover over while evaping (cheese cloth, panty hose etc) to keep debris out, and if you are evaping outside, keep it out of direct sunlight.

To further purge the oil you need something that can hold low temps in the 95-110 range. Coffee warmer/griddle/hot plate, whatever works. An IR thermometer is an essential tool as well to monitor temps so you don't burn your oil or lose flavor/potency.

EDIT: Consistency is generally connected to a combination of starting material, ambient temps/atmosphere (I.e. humidity) and purge temps and techniques. A good low temp purge should almost always finish in shatter form if kept thin and consistent. There are exceptions though. Some strains just won't shatter. Not sure the exact reason but I think it has to do with the terp profiles of different strains.

Higher temps in the 115-125 range will end in wax/crumble. 150+ will get you sap with not a lot of flavor.

I feel like I'm rambling now. Drank the coffee too fast haha hope this helps...

3. #3 denieddd, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
    used qwet technique seen on skunkpharms alittle modified. used pancake griddle heated to 140f, with heat fan blowing over. evap took awhile and once majority of liquid was gone i let it sit over night with just the heat fan no griddle. came back in the morning and had perfect shatter, taste is there but not as strong as i liked. think it was cause the buds werent cured long enough , fresh pick

overall very impressed with final product smokes amazing and gets me stoned

4. did you really expect it to taste good after 140F? :p

evap at room temp and then purge at 100-120 for a couple days, or vac at lower temps if you have one.