Quitting a job without the full two weeks notice

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Dubular, Aug 11, 2013.

1. So I've been working a part time job over the summer at Dollar General. To be fair though, we've been short-staffed most of the time I've been here so it's been fluctuating between 20-40 hours a week. Now however one of the other cashiers got a second job as a security guard at night, so for my last week of work my boss has me scheduled closing every night.

Now I have a fair number of hobbies on the side, and some projects I need to finish before going back to school, including painting some cornhole boards and making a train table for my sister. For the table in particular I really would like my dad's help but if I close every night there isn't any chance.

Also, my friends want to go to Cedar Point one day this week as an 'end to summer' type thing, but I don't get a single day off.

I wanna just call my boss and say "I quit" but I know if I do, my four coworkers will have to pick up the slack. It's kind of a dick move, but man, it's basically second shift, and I really hate second shift.

2. Money or having a decent week and losing a job referral

3. #3 Pew, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013
    Just fake a sickie? Or say a family emergency and use that as a reason to quit later. Maybe get hired somewhere else before quitting.

4. #4 shaggish, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    you're acting like a child. there will be plenty of opportunities to party with your friends

you probably work 8 hours a day at the most, that leaves you with plenty of time for "hobbies" it sounds like you're just trying to convince yourself to quit.  having no money really limits the partying opportunities also. 

my dad always told me "act in haste, repent in leisure"

5. im kinda in the same situation, i want to quit my job at this sandwich shop to get a job at a restaurant with way better pay. they offered me a job the day i went in. i dont want to work at my other job for another 2 weeks and ive worked there for a year and a half. hmmm what to do

6. Just go in and tell them you have commitments and want to leave in a week. They should be able to find somebody to replace you in that amount of time. They may even tell you it's OK to leave now.

7. Just be straight with your boss OP. Remind him you were only hired for part time and that unfortunately all the extra hours aren't working with your schedule. If that doesn't work out then respectfully quit but don't just jump the gun and drop it on him like you said haha

8. You my friend are wrong, look at the top ten regrets of people on the death bed.

Happiness, not a dollar store.

HaGGard

9. quit but also say it pleasantly that you can't work for two weeks. i say do it pleasantly because your future employers might call for references. pretty sure they can hire someone in a second with this economy.

10. -be straight with your employer, explain the situation
    -dont quit until you have another job
    -try to leave on a good note just encase you need to come crawling back

11. #11 shaggish, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

shit. this guy is right. quit your job and go party with your friends, that will lead to long term happiness i'm sure

12. If you quit you wont get a referral. Just telll your boss you dont wanna work everday this week but youll pick up extra hours sometime in the morning or somethinf.

13. Do the time and then use it to get a promotion.

14. Make a living for yourself, support yourself. But if the job doesnt satisfy even a drop of creativity or passion within your gullet. Bounce.

15. If I quit early, it doesn't really matter when I do it, my boss will still be pissed. Unless she could get someone from another store in the area to help out.

The friends that I want to go to Cedar Point this week with were my roommates for the past four years. In a week we're all going to separate colleges for grad school, so no I won't really have a whole lot of opportunities to party with them after this.

As for money, I should clarify that I'm painting the cornhole boards to sell, refinishing some chairs, and the train table is in return for a flatscreen from my sister.

I'm going back to school, so I'm not too worried about having another job lined up.

I've had to close almost every weekend night this summer, I just want to have some fun before school starts up again.

Well clearly the kids still in school meaning he's going to get a "Real" career, so while he IS YOUNG he should enjoy life.

You have to mature yes, but pushing it off isn't always a bad thing.

Clearly look at how you attacked my post ;)

Shut up and start growing.

17. Just go to your boss and tell him you need the day off, if he says no just say well alright I guess I have to quit then, im like 90% sure he will turn around and give u the day off. Its either he loses you for a day or forever.

lol.

[​IMG]

19. Fuck it dude just quit, unless you really need the money which you don't appear to. Not worth it

20. I put in 2 my weeks when my annual sick days cycle restarted and then called off every day for the next 2 weeks sick like a douche