Quick question on breeding

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by MrGree, Nov 15, 2011.

1. My last grow, i had a pure afghan herm on me and it pollinated my white rhino. Now that its all dried and cured, I am finding seeds. If both plants had killer genetics, do you think the seeds will turn out well? Also, since afghan is a outdoor strain, do you think the seeds would work well for an outdoor crop in the spring? I don't know much about plant breeding, but i am very interested in creating my own strains.

2. that is a tough question. I have cross pollinated plants and have both success and fails, both plants starting with good genetics. But with a herm I think that they would carry the herm trait to the offspring. personally what I would do is plant a shit of those seeds and pick out the best female and male then pollinate again until the traits become a bit more stable.

3. I've heard the afghan was bred for outdoors. Indoors they tend to herm when forced through their light cycles instead of letting nature take its course

4. no clue there I just started to dabble in breeding with in the last year or so.

5. Only one way to tell...

Creating strains is neat. Honestly though there's hundreds of breeders that aren't just doing one accidental batch. They are proving (or should be) genetics through generations of plants, while working with great genetics. I figure they've done the tough leg work...might as well see what works for me.

This is not to discourage your future breeding project, in fact best of luck with it but I would just grow em out and hope for the best. Who knows you might find an awesome pheno.

6. Seeds from hermies are far more likely to be hermies themselves...

7. This will be widely debated. Some will say that a stressed herm will produce female seeds and some will say that a stressed herm will produce genetic herms.

From my understanding, if a female plant is stressed and herms because of the stress it should have female seeds because the plant wouldn't have a Y (male) chromosome to pass onto the seed resulting in XX or female seeds.

8. I was under the same impression as toasty. if a stressed female can herm and carry the trait why could it not pass the trait on to the offspring? It did start with all x then hermed. Not ripping into you just want more understanding on the topic myself. My biology is covering this right now but not getting into specifics about traits right now and it is not a question I can pose in class the proffessor is a really sharp guy.

9. You've nearly answered your own question but the trait wouldn't be passed because it is from stress not genetics. This is similar to how if I were a female I couldn't hand down my fake double d implants but I could hand down the genetics of my actual boob size to my offspring. The topic of stressed herms has been discussed in a few breeders books but I can't remember specific names off the top of my head. Regardless, there will be a mix of opinions on this topic.

10. like I said not arguing just trying to get a better understanding, thanks for your input though :)

11. Yeah man, that's just how I have come to understand it from everything that I've read. The Internet is a giant collection of contradicting information.

12. yeah I have plant bio next quarter and I am gonna see if I can get some better info out of this class. And thanks again.

13. It's true that a stressed female that produces male flowers will have no Y-chromosome pollen. But the hermied mother definitely can pass the tendency along, at least two ways:

1) The mother was genetically susceptible to hermie so could pass that trait on just like any other trait, and/or

2) The stress causes the plant not only to hermie but to grow irregularly, defectively, down even to the molecular level of creating the DNA that ends up in the pollen of the hermie's "male" flowers. Think about it -- the whole flower is being morphed, not just the parts we can see but down to the cellular structure level and even the molecular underpinnings of it all, so why should we expect the genetic package to go through that trans-mutation process and come out unscathed?

This is why reputable breeders who produce and sell feminized seeds do not produce those seeds by stressing females to hermie. It's why you don't see a tutorial stickied here on GC about how to create your own hermie.

It is possible to get a perfectly healthy female from a mother pollinated from a hermie, but more likely something got screwed up.

14. The seeds are not from the plant that hermed out. They are from the female White Rhino, the hermie was the afghan. When I found the hermies on the Afghan, I checked all of my Rhinos and found nothing. Is it possible that a plant can herm and then pollinate another plant next to it? Thanks a lot guys.

15. Yes it is a possibility

16. Occasionally you'll get a real winner out of an accident. The original sour diesel was an accident.

I have a couple accidents that have turned out to be very stable crosses.

Only way to find out what you have is to grow those seeds out... A couple times. Watch them closely.

17. The seeds are from two plants -- one on which the seeds are found (the mother) and another that pollinated the mother. If there were no males around but there were hermie plants then that is where the pollen came from, so the seeds are offspring of a hermie.