Quick question about possible magnesium deficiency

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by connachtspawn, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Semi- new to this, my second round, soil. Based on this thread http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/54241-leaf-sides-curl-up-otherwise-healthy.html
    and other research, I'm pretty sure I have a slight magnesium deficiency, which I understand can be helped by misting with epsom salt dissolved in water. My question may seem simple, but I really want to cover all my bases: if the plant *doesn't* have a magnesium deficiency and i spray it with the salt mix, could that cause damage?

Here are some photos to help. The situation is the same as the thread above- curling only on one stem, the rest of the plant is very healthy and there's no real discoloration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hey man.

Your problem is not magnesium it is heat. How hot does it get in the grow room? Yes, it is possible to give a plant magnesium toxicity.

3. Well, I'd certainly hate to poison it; glad I asked! I only let it get to about 75. Too close to the lamp maybe? I maintain air flow between the lamp and the leaves... and none of the other leaves look like those.

Thanks for the response.

4. You can go ahead and foliar spray or just water it with 1/4-1/2 TSP of Epsom salt per gallon of water and give it once. If it does not get better, something is too hot. If it gets better it was magnesium.

5. It also, could be a combo of heat and humdity or lack there of. Try just folair feeding(spraying) it with plain water first. I really don't think its mag def.

6. Wow, i'm really glad i asked... thanks for the help!

7. I agree.
    I don't think 1/2 of Epsom will hurt though. What is the humidity in the room?

8. Humidity level? Honestly, I have no idea. I have no way of measuring it available to me at present. I'm trying the foliar feeding- just water right now.

9. Wal-Mart has thermometer-hygrometer with min/max memory for around six or seven dollars US. Dropped one of mine in the water, dried out and the thing still works.

10. Thanks, i'll definitely look into it. The foliar feeding seems to be helping.

11. Good.

Just don't spray the lights.

12. Got it covered. Literally.