Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Quick question about background checks

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ChiefinWithYoda, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am a California med patient and a year ago I received a citation for marijuana possession and had to go to court where I pleaded not guilty and presented my doctor's rec. So no charges or anything, all went well.

I have to do 15 hours of community service for a college course and some of the places I can choose from require background checks...

Will this incident still show up on a background check even though I wasn't found guilty? I'm sure a brief mention of MMJ use on my record will disqualify me from some of the service placements.

2. It all depends. Do you live in the same county as the offense was in? It also depends on state law. I live in CA. I had an arrest in a different county and it doesn't come up in my background checks(In CA you can request a copy of the background check and I always do)

I would recommend looking up your states law on the subject and take it from there.

3. A background check would only show convictions. I was arrested on a felony (marijuana related) I went to court twic but they dismissed my case and I passed a background check for a job. However a county court records search could show your arrest or ticket but without a conviction I don't believe they would deny you. When I did community service I'd imagine all the others had convictions

4. Be glad you live here in CA! MJ convictions over the last 10 years have gotten to be so blatantly menial that even job applications say "excluding marijuana possession charges under 2oz" under the section where you list prior convictions. I highly doubt that a medically cleared charge against you will cause any sort of trouble.