Quick lighting question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by baileybolton, Dec 18, 2013.

1. I just baught a little adapter that has a wall plug in on one side, and is a light fixture.. All it says on it is 61 watt.. And I plan on putting 4 23watt (100w equivelent) cfl bulbs on each one.. What will happen?! Will it start a fire?? Or what?? Or will it work just fine?? Someone let me know please! And thank you!:)

2. How are you going to put 4 lights in one socket?

3. It will be fine there is a safety factor. if it runs hot rethink the plan but you will be fine.

92 watts is nothing.

4. do u have a pic of it , I have a y socket and was planning on putting the same cfls in it using a 150watt max lamp ,so I'm interested .

5. These are them.. I'm going to run a y splitter fixture to each one, and then another y splitter into each end of that one.. One all 3 rows.. With 100w eq. Cfls.. Should do me some good for my little box!!:)
    (Does anyone think I need a ballast?)

Attached Files:

6. @[member="baileybolton"] i have some of those and one y splitter i was just worried about fire risk. This is wat i was gonna use it for.

Attached Files:

7. #7 aj69420g, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
    if it can handle 61 watts which is what that probably means than two 23 watt bulbs on one should be fine. But to use the bulbs properly for growing you gotta know how they work. The hotter the brighter, the more surface area of tube the more lumens. so the tops of the bulbs have less tube surface area as the sides with 3 or 4 swirls.

I get the power strips by Power Sentry at wal mart x2 for 6.97$. Reason being they are 6 plug, but the 6th plug is space off far for a "transformer" if you were to use a big one. That gave me just enough room for x4 26w CFLs on one strip using those same Wall Outlet -> Socket adapters.

I made for of those and a wood frame and built this bad boy 416 watts, 25,600 lumens over a 12 inch x 18 inch area. roughly 19,200 lumens per square foot. Super light density for new babies.

[​IMG]

Better off using the sides of the bulbs to illuminate your plants and keep them 3-5 inches from the tops of your plants. If its a cold environment keep them closer to the 3 inch area. Definitely never wanna have them on a "Y" unless your using 1 bulb per seedling and going to use each "Y" to do 2 seedlings. not henging vertically though, horizontally like my bulbs above. How you manage thats up to you.

this was made for roughly 60$ @ Wal-mart, they have the best, longest lasting store brand CFLs for the best price. The Great Value 6500k 4-pack for 4.97$ is a great deal. those adapters are .97$, and I told you about the strips. that little cube adater for 3 outlets was 2.97. plus like 15.50$ for all 4 power strips.

8. This is what I'll be using.. Same idea as yours exept doubled!

Attached Files:

9. THAT IS SUPER SWEET AND A GREAT IDEA!! I might try that soon! Might get me 2 of those puppies!(;
    Are you using a ballest for it??

10. @[member="baileybolton"] cool shit lls . this is my setup just planted the bean a min ago first op wit this tent and lights wat u think.

Attached Files:

11. each bulb has a ballast...

12. Nice set up AJ, I cant help but think, "is there a way to utilize the top half of the bulb?"

SB

13. Abosolutely, Mylar... I just couldnt afford any. As a matter of fact the light being reflected back through the bulb and trapping the heat with reflective material above it makes them hotter and brighter which is good. just make something so the mylar doesnt touch the bulbs.