Quick! I need cloning advice!

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by greenthumbber, Aug 24, 2009.

1. I was lucky to get some sour diesel seeds at the beginning of this season, but unfortunately they all got stunted and never turned out to great plants so i put them outside.
    One of the plants that grew into a respectable plant was a male so i cut it, without thinking about preserving those precious genetics. Now the other one that grew into a decent plant is a female.
    Its just beginning to flower now (it sprouted its very first couple white hairs today), and i would love to take a clone to make into a mother.

Can I take a clone from this plant still?

2. yes, take a lot. they don't root as easily once they are in flower.

Next time, take your clones before you put them into flower.

3. ^^ what he said :D they just take longer to root, but otherwise it's fine

4. Ok thanks guys, ill try to clone it as soon as I can.

I do only have one shot at making this work, and Ive never cloned before...
    Does anyone have a method they swear by, or a good thread for explaining it to a beginner. I saw the 'Cloning for Dummies' sticky but for some reason Im unsure of it. Possibly a thread specifically about cloning cannabis, featuring pics?

5. Cut at angle, dip in rooting gel, stick in prepped rockwool cubes, repeat.

Taking clones is easy, keeping them alive is the hard part.

6. #6 non phixion, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
    ^^ continued. Stick in humidity dome, [very important] keep temp at 65-70 degrees, after a few days u should crack the humidity dome open a tiny bit, to let a little air in. once you leave it open a crack u can keep it like that, just put it back how it was after u water. u'll probably need to moisten the cubes everyday but dont overwater or algae and mold will develop. So. Keep them under flouros, 65-70 degrees, other than that just make sure u dont under or over water them (u want the cubes to be moist, not wet/soaked, and not bone dry.) transplant once you see a few healthy white roots popping out of the cube.

7. I stick a six inch piece of rope in the bottom of the rockwoll and keep it in a very weak nute mix. The wicking action keeps the rockwool cubes the perfect moisture level all the time. I made a plastic tray with holes cut in it for the wicks.
    If you do this be careful not to let the roots grow so big you can't pull the wicks back out of the holes. My plastic tray is cut in sections at each row of holes (slices through each hole) so the plastic can be removed from around the root/wick if they need to stay in the clone/preveg box.
    works awesome.

8. This is my method (for soil grows):
    EDIT.....I now use K-L-N by Dyna-Grow instead of SuperThrive......works great IMHO

9. Thanks guys i appreciate the advice. I have a rooting powder, and it just says to dip the cutting in the powder. How much should i add to water to make an equivilant to your superthrive solution, Chunk?

I cant get any rockwool or peat pucks or anything on short notice, so ill have to use soil. Would i want something with a lot of that white granular soil additive for moisture retention(cant think of the name)? How do I get it to stay the correct moisture?

Im going to use solo cups, and i dont know how i might be able to cover them. I plan to just put them in a little chest that has some other little vegging plants growing under flouro tubes because it stays very humid in there.

I cant really do any more to prepeare, and since tme is of the essence I'm gonna go out and do it today. Please give any last minute advice or tell me if soemthing sounds amiss, or just wish me good luck:smoke:

10. if you have a plastic grocery bag or large zip lock just place it over the clone , i mist inside the bag evry now and then to keep the humidity up
    i have a few clones under 2 26 watt daylight cfls there not in rook wool i have them in soil/peat moss that i put in a half a soda bottle with adequate holes for drainage .

i did however pre treat my soil/peat mix because my ph was way too low i used rooting powder and damped the soil with very light nute mixture nitro/potas and tiny drop of super thrive

so far everything looks great just wait'n for them to grow into beautiful ladies

11. Hey guys, everything is looking alright now. I uhhh, happened across some cubes in the big pile of old jerryrigged hydro equipment i neglected to think about:smoke::smoke::smoke:
    I took 5 cuttings, but one of them is real small and i doubt it will make it. The other 4 are looking alright though.

I soaked the cubes in water that i passed through a filter, then let sit in an open container for a day, plus a tiny bit of a crushed up vitamin b tablet and like a key bump of that rooting powder. Then i took some of the soaking water out to the plant in a cup along with a fresh razor, and took my cuttings. Then i cut the large leaves in half, shaved off some outer fiber, dipped in powder and popped into the cubes. The cubes are now in a tray in my little vegging chest under an upturned plastic tub. Theyve been there for a while and the leaves have perked up.

I just hope everything turns out ok. I really need to have these clones to survive. When i put them in the cubes, the holes were bigger then the stems so they have some wiggle room, is this ok? And it seems like I havnt needed to water them yet. Should I be watering them every day, or keep some soaking liquid in the bottom of the tray? And when should i expect to see roots? Thanks everybody.
    -Thumb

12. If you use SuperThrive, use 1/4 tsp per gal. With K-L-N use 1 1/2 tsp p/gal. Use perlite (white stuff) with your seedling mix. You don't need to cover them per se.....but you might want to mist them once a day. Don't water regularly, let them go a couple of days so the soil dries a bit, then water again....ove rwatering is a death sentence to clones. That's why the humidity dome is good, the humidity keeps the clones hydrated.

Good luck bro.....let us know how it goes......chunk

13. WOOOOOOO!!!! Ive been waiting and hoping and worrying and caring and finally my clones are showing roots!! I left the clones unchecked in their box for one day, and the next day, theres roots everywhere! Theyre in some things called quick cubes, which look like fiberglass with a plastic wrapping on the edges, so i will just slice off the plastic and set them in some soil and cover up with soil.

Now. These will be my mothers.

Should i make sure i have a bag of Ocean Forrest before i plant them, which could be a day or two, or is it important to get them into soil immediately?

The cubes are just sitting flat on an aluminum pan, so the roots are coming out kinda flattened. Something to worry about?

I think i have read that a good healthy mother likes to establish roots in a small container before being moved to a larger one. And I have actually noticed in pictures and videos that mothers are often kept in small pots. Whats up with this?

I just want these mothers to be perfectly healthy and get to vegging and making more clones as soon as possible, so any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

14. i don't get it... if he is taking clones from a male plant that he snipped, won't the genetics of that plant carry out and turn out a male? Or a hermaphrodite at best? just wondering... doesn't make sense to me man.

15. ok nevermind... ha

16. Hello,
    What & Where Do You Cut For Clones? Can Auto-Flowering Plants Be Cloned? If So Would Getting The Clone Be The Same Way?
    Thank You

17. Hey thanks for that link, good stuff. I have some jerryrigged hydro stuff that i could configure to work for clones like that. But Ive got the clones cloned, now i need to know how to treat them so they turn out to be good mommies. Im gonna scour the city for mother plant threads right now..... Anyone have a good link for mother info?

18. #20 Longhair1, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2009