Questions on aero system and the roots

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by no_name, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Ok so i have an aeroponic system i have set up with six plants in there. the res sits just under the actual casing for the roots.. i have had a burst of roots in the past week and there are starting to grow down my drain hole into my res..should i pull those out or leave them to grow actually into my res which is suppose to be separate..

so in a sense it would be a DWC aero system

HELP PLEASE BEFORE MY PLANTS ROOTS HIT THE RES AND THEN ONLY ONE PLANT EXPLODES IN GROWTH LOL :confused:

2. I suppose it would depend on how long they are going to remain there or if they are close to being chopped down. If the plants are in the later stage of life and you have no problems, even if it takes a bit longer to drain..... leave them alone. Of course if they are plugging up everything, you will need to remove them. On the next grow I would either reduce the size of the plants going in, or re-design the system so that won't happen again.

sn

3. #4 janemba, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
    i have an arojet 8 (48 sites) and roots are the biggest problem in the system, ive have a few floods, the best thing u can do is increase the wet cycle and if roots clog pull them out, cut them or what ever u have to do to get them out...
    if u can i would separate the trey from the rez, but u cant really do that on ur system, the only flaws on ur system is that if the plants get to big the roots go into the rez, i would try cutting them, if u dont wanna do that then get some air stones. in hydroponics its harder for the plant to get rootbound so then need less space because the food is all around the roots and they dont need to go searching for it. so u wont really have a problem of one plant taking over if there all about the same size
    cutting and pulling on the roots is bad, but they will survive as long as u dont kill the tap root... whats worse a couple hurt plants, or a flooded room?

4. i just pulled them out. i have plenty room for growth of roots, but the way the root zone is set up, the like to follow the flow of nutes and water out