Questions From A True Ab.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Andrewchos, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Hey guys.  New to the forum. 
    Am going through some very hard times in my life and in trying to feel better I have decided to focus on starting and hopefully completing my first grow.

Have some questions.
    I know some may say to look for the info myself but I have ADHD and it isn't easy for me.

So... onto my questions.

I have a grow closet with a strong, expensive light at the top of it.
    HPS light I think.

I also have a decent sized pot to grow my plant in and some good soil which my family uses for random house plants.

I have some feminized auto northern lights seeds.  Only 5 tho.

So my plan once the seeds arrive is to germinate one seed, plant it in my big pot and then put it on a 20/4 cycle until completetion.

Questions 1 :
    Do I need to feed the soil with nutrients during the grow?  If yes what is a good nutrient blend I could buy and how often do I need to feed the plant during various stages?

Q2 :
    How often do I need to water the plant and how can I tell if I am doing too much or too little?

Q3 : How bad will it smell?
    I am in an apartment and can't have the smell getting very bad.
    The grow closet itself is far from airtight.
    I do have a fan built into the side of the closet and a carbon filter so presumably this could help alot to control it if it gets bad.  Does northern lights have a strong smell to begin with?

I just need the basics so I don't fuck up my grow.
    Deeply appreciate anyone who is willing to help.

Thanks.
    Andrew.

2. #2 keyser_soze, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
    I was gonna say don't start them in a big pot but with autos I might be wrong

3. You can use 24/0 light with autos and they'll just grow faster.

You probably want to find out what brand the soil is. I know you said its fine for houseplants but cannabis is a picky plant. Are you able to go out and buy for this grow? What's the budget if so? Watering depends on what the soil is made from. You want something with lots of air going to the roots... You most likely want to mix any soil you'll be using with some perlite, soilless or not. This will help with the oxygen in the roots zone.

Nutrients sort of depend on what your using for soil.

4. Your standard potting mix needs water once a week or or longer sometimes. Some soils are high 'cec' rated and need water more often because they dry faster.

I read that over 20 hours doesn't really add much but if you think it is better I can probably do it.
    I am able to go out and buy things if I need them.  My budget is small (50-100 dollars) but I feel that I have most of what I need already.

6. Also do I put the plant under the lights immedietly after it has sprouted or do I wait awhile first?

7. Like the other dude said one pot is really what you want for auto flowers. They get stressed easier. Other than that idk much bout autos. They scare me lol.

Probly feel the weight of the pot filled with water (before you plant your seeds) and let it dry to see how long til it feels 100% dry. Or if you want to really get specific, add the soil to the pot, weigh that, then weigh it with water. Then you can say for sure if it is still to saturated to water again. Fabric pots make watering way easier cuz the medium drys faster and you can feel how moist the medium is.

8. No wait needed. What lights have we chosen to use? Keep in mind you probably want around 100 watts per plant, more if you can.

Its a pretty big metal halide light I believe.
    So.. about adding nutrients.  How often does that need to be done.

So far I am basically at.
    1.  Buy good soil
    2.  Plant it
    3.  Turn on lights

I know at first you probably don't need to add any nutes but eventually I think you're supposed too unless there is some soil which doesn't need it added?  Is there?  I would buy that soil if there is.

Oh and I am only growing 1 plant to start with.

10. Thats called living soil and you can make it but I don't know that there is one on the market. Also it requires a bunch of ingredients.. I'd ask an organic grower about that. If you just want a decent mix grab some sunshine #4 mix and a bloom, micro and grow pack of nutrients. There are many brands. Advanced nutrients, general hydro, cclyco nutrients... You'll use the "grow" for your veg with the micro and the "bloom" with micro for flowering.