Questions about shrooms

Discussion in 'General' started by housecat, May 24, 2009.

1. I did shrooms 3 times in a week (low dose.) What sort of effects would this typically have on a brain? I was lost for about a month after the experience. I think a big contributor to this factor was that I did them with 2 friends from the city, then went back to my house on the island (I come to the city every now and then.) When I got there I think what I really needed was some understanding. Instead people said 'your different dude. You've changed.' This depressed me too no end and no doubt contributed to my fucked-upness at the time. I got worse and worse, and was less myself and less myself. I would say things that the old me might have said, but it simply didn't work out. I just wasn't myself anymore. All I could think about was "I used to be so cool, why did I do this to myself? I made smart funny observations, I made people laugh. FUCK!"

Slowly I made small break throughs and came back to myself. Here I am now. This all happened recently, and I am still not entirely myself. I'm in my earlier teens and my life has (had? maybe.:() a lot of potential. When I was 7 my IQ was measured top 5% in the province. I'm still not all there but I wish I were. Also, I'm intensely cyclothymic before and after mushrooms. Cyclothymia is where your personality kind of alters. One day you might meet a girl and keep her entertained all day, being a great flirt. The next day you might run into her and there will be no connection whatsoever. So maybe I shouldn't be messing with shrooms in the first place, although it is only a minor problem.

The main thing is, I miss my old thoughts about life, my introspective statements as well. Could you perhaps analyze my situation? Maybe the same thing happened to you, and now your back to 100% normal?

Thanks.

2. well how have you changed man? i didnt change when i did shrooms (i didnt really have an introspective trip, but it was more fun than anything), but on acid i def. experienced conscious evolution and became a different person.....but in a good way.

so in what way did yo uchange?

3. #3 housecat, May 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2009
    Well, it's hard to say. I used to be more extroverted, I used to be more spontaneous. I don't like being alone by myself because it reminds me of my first time on shrooms where my friends left and I had only the computer to entertain myself. I started freaking out pretty fast.

Listening to certain songs makes me think about my childhood, which makes me sad because in a way I've messed with this brain I have. Many consider me to be this weird, hilarious character and I used to play up to it. Nowadays I just don't feel like one anymore unless I'm stoned, which brings me back to myself but only for the duration of the stone.

It's kind of thrown my thoughts and personality up into the air and when they landed they were all in different places. After my first high I was alright, and I put 5 days in between then and my next high. I never tripped on much by the way (first time 1.5 grams, second time 2 grams, third time 2 grams) if that's considered not much. It probably is for a younger guy like me. My second high I couldn't even say if I changed much because I didn't put enough time in between my second and third high.

My attitude to drugs at the time was "well, they didn't screw me up that time so let's do them again."

My dad encouraged me not to do shrooms (I smoke pot with him) because he said exactly what did happen would happen. "All your thoughts will be thrown into the air and when they land, they'll all be in different places. It will take you a long time to get them back in order again and by that time some of them will be lost."

I understand mushrooms is a learning experience, and I believe the first time really did expand my understanding. The other two times it was more like feel-good candy to me, but the first time was actually the best. I've gotten much better in my head though, for a little while I used to be very sullen and I would try to make jokes like the old me would but it just wasn't funny like it might've been before shrooms. My dad would sometimes ask "are you alright up there buddy?"

Also, while my dad was extremely drunk and pissed my brother blew a fuse in the breaker and my dad beat him up, this was a week after my experiences and I found it to be slightly traumatic and it brought up a lot of bad memories. I went for a bike ride by myself in the night. I've gotten a lot better, more back to myself. Now I can hang out with my friends and have a funny time, so I guess I'm back to good but I'm still not what I used to be. Maybe I'll keep getting better?

4. well you need to realize that there isnt always something wrong with being alone. those are the times where i get my best thoughts and ideas. you need to snap the correlation from that first shroom experience and being alone, because there is nothing wrong with it. perhaps you induced maturity upon yourself but you werent ready for it. you say youre young (i dont know how young, but dont tell me because you're supposed to be 18 to post here), so thats why i would consider that, and taking such a mind altering substance at a "young age" may do that. im only relating to you with my acid experiences because i've hardly had an in depth shroom trip, but after the trip was done, i did feel like no one can understand me (even more than already). it barely made me sad because i've kind of felt that way my whole life, but at that time that feeling was capitalized.

you need to be you for yourself though. did you not like this new you because your friends didnt like it, or because you yourself didnt truly like it?

i dont get what u mean by throuwing your thoughts up in the air and them landing everywhere....do you mean that you have trouble explaining yourself?

and i imagine that my dad beating up my brother when i was trippin would fuck me up too man, that soudns horrible. i dont know if this helps at all but all i can do is try to talk to you bro. glad that you are still somewhat yourself though.

5. I did shrooms 9 times within a month period. Took 3.5 -4 grams each time, sometimes just caps and im only 5'6" 135 lbs. I did NOT see any negative effect on me besides a stomach ache during the first hour on them. After the high I felt great! Everyones body is different and has different effects towards different drugs. Your body just might reject the positive effects... Im kinda just talking out of my ass but thats my scientific diagnosis of you. lol:hello:

6. I'll respond to both posts, first one first.

It's kind of complicated. I guess I've always had trouble explaining myself too, there's more to me than a lot of people think. Then again, there's more to most people than one would think. I'm an independant person, I like my own space. I felt after my shroom trips that I had become more dependant, but then again I thought a lot of things after my trips.

During my first trip I felt that no one would understand the amazing thoughts that I store in my brain, if that's what you mean. My other two trips weren't so amazing at all.

Highhaze you have a lot of wisdom. I subconciously thought about this but never put it into words. I moved to a small island recently, and have been spending the year there. I always go back to where I used to live to visit my best friends (friends I've had since kindergarten some of them.) I've been smoking pot with them for about 1 year now. We became interested in mushrooms during the last week of spring break and finally found a source. First time was good, but ended slightly badly, my mom talked me down and then fried me some hamburger at 1am. Second trip started badly because I was in a house with some people whom my relationship with is not always the best. It ended great, however, and I'm sure that this should have been my last time later thinking about it. My third time started bad because it was me and 1 other buddy and for some reason we weren't in the best mood. I would try and make a joke but he would see right through it into my inner unhappiness and vice versa. It ended alright, but left me feeling a little hollow like I didn't get anything out of the trip. This part is all slightly irrelevant.

The day after my third trip I had to go back to my island for school. Maybe seeing people who I'd only known for less than a year wasn't good for my mind-set at the time. I remember that I went back to my hometown for the first weekend after my trips. I kept to myself around the island people but when I got back to my other friends I was back to normal for the most part (a little lingering weirdness.) I went back to Saltspring and I started to feel inadequate. The fact that I had done mushrooms and would never be as funny or cool as the old me dominated my thoughts so much that I couldn't be anyone. I wasn't really embracing my situation.

Another thing- my friend who did the shrooms with me all 3 times, relatively the same dose, said he was fine and good. Maybe the third trip didn't effect him as badly because I remember him saying to me after we finally started feeling good "I'm doing them again!" In my head I was thinking "that's enough shrooms for this cowboy, for a long time." But I'm always concerned with my friends happiness so it made me happy that he was happy. The fact that he was fine after doing the shrooms has been a constant reminder that maybe it really is just me being unhappy. It's probably because I had to go through weeks of being around people who didn't appreciate me and blaming this on my shroom use to the degree that it was like a placebo, even if the shrooms didn't effect me the thought that they may have really was.

Anyhow, to answer your question when I first got to the island I hung out with some people while I was in a bad frame of mind. One of them kept saying "you've changed" which made me deeply sad. I hung out with the same guy recently and had a really fun time.

7. That's very encouraging to me. I think it's all a bit of a placebo effect in my brain, but couldn't be certain. Maybe it screwed me up because I thought "these have screwed me up" and then convinced myself so much that I introverted myself. I'm still openly social, depends on the people. I think I'll do shrooms one more time to 'over-write' my previous experience. I want to do them out in the woods away from civilization though, with 2 close friends. I haven't really talked to anyone about this except the guy I tripped with, so maybe that's a problem. I've been keeping it kind of bottled up.

8. ^ I always convince myself that something is one way or something is wrong when really there are no problems. I do this when I feel like I have no purpose...which is basically when I am alone for long periods of time and not being productive.

My advice would be to look for a part-time job, find a hobby, start excercising regularly...develop something to keep your mind off your problems and I think you'll be fine.

9. The thing is I never really used to do this. When I sit around on the computer all day, like I did today, I start to feel terrible. And it's not something I can usually get over just by talking with people. I went out to dinner with my aunt just now. My aunts like my second mother (she doesn't condone drug use whatsoever though.) And for some reason I could not connect socially with her for the life of me. I've been seeing my aunt since I was born. This made me feel so terrible I gave up a lot of hope I had in myself.

10. sometimes people who take these substances are the only ones you can share your thoughts with, because those who have never experienced it just wouldnt understand. i tried explaining to some of my occassional smoking friends (they typically abuse the herb and use it in a different way that i do) and even non-stoners (co-workers) some of the thoughts i had during my trip. they both looked at me like i was crazy and i knew that there was this communication barrier if you will between us.....and its never been the same. i became so different that i stopped talking to those smoking friends completely and it seems that they gladly never called me back. its all good though, because we both recognized that we were different and didnt BS our relationship.

i dont think so bro. you stated before that you tried being your old self by making jokes and it wasnt happening, and this probably has something to do with it. perhaps you extracted the part of your experience where your friend saw your unhappiness and dwelled on it subconsciously, especially when you went back to that island where you say you dont know many people. not being close with anyone was probably already a reason to be sad, which probably brought up these other feelings of sadness. and you say that "for some reason" you werent in the best mood. do you feel like you are losing the connection with your friends because of the distance and travelling back and forth? also, its important to trip under the right conditions aroudn the right people, which didnt totally happen with your other two trips

it sounds like you dont like this island place too much....maybe when you are tripping you realize that you have to go back to this place which changes your mood?

good, hopefully you can take something from this experience so you can learn from it and use it to better your next trip.

11. Dude , some o these people need to chill out. doing shrooms isnt realy that harmful. Its a poison, but your body passes it.

12. #12 TheShawn, May 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2009
    Psychedelics can have the ability to unlock your unconscious. It sounds like you weren't quite ready for that level of exposure to unfiltered thoughts and feelings.
    If you're a spiritual person I suggest meditation.

Learning Meditation - Chakra Meditation

Take some time away from the masses, stick with your closest friends.
    Get to know yourself a little better, and then if you're ready, try psychedelics again.

There's just something magical about taking a few hits of acid and sitting on the beach, listening to the calm wind and the waves crashing, almost muting the constant blend of seagulls and people who are just getting started on the journey of life.
    Then just laying back and absorbing the cosmos for it is, greater than yourself.

At least this is how I got to know myself.
    Good luck on your journey.

EDIT: By the way, I'd say this belongs here. http://forum.grasscity.com/pandoras-box/

13. yea, but there are some cases where people get very psychologically fucked up ya kno. everyones brain chemistry is different. also he says he is young so MAYBE he shouldnt even be taking it in the first place.

im merely psychoanalyzing his situation and trying to give him insight on why he had such a bad trip/after-trip to prevent it from happening again.

14. honestly i think you should see a shrink, take your parents too. my parents forced me when i was 13 and was getting hard into drugs and alc. i thought like everyone it was stupid at first but even before the first session was over this guy got into my head. was some crazy shit, i didnt even talk the whole time and he was unphased, got me to start laughing and everything.

i only went like 3 times cus i think thats all that was covered by my dad's benefits but it opened my mind just as good as any drug but instead of just me peering into my thoughts aimlessly i had a guide with me who actually knew what he was talking about

15. While psychedelic experiences change people, in all honesty I think this is just all in your head. You may think about some things differently than you did before but I think you might just be in a funk or trying to hard too be someone who really wasn't you in the first place and now that you see that it was a facade to cover your insecurities, trying to play that character when you're not feeling it won't work.

Shrooms don't do anything besides let you see yourself for who you are, it's like putting every thought under a microscope, you sound like you just didn't like what you saw and you're having some trouble getting over it.

Let me share a story with you. Last time I shroomed, everything was pretty much amazing. When I was laying down on the grass in a nearby park looking up at the sky and the trees listening to New Soul by Yael Naim, everything was so perfect and some of the realizations I came to so pleasant that I had some tears rolling from my eyes.

I went back to my house and the good time continued. It wasn't until the end of my shroom trip when I started to think about a girl I used to love (I dunno if I still do, we'll see what happens when I see her on her 18th birthday) I got really depressed. I was able to wipe those thoughts aside so that didn't nag at me.

Later I started thinking about my father though. I almost started crying when I was alone in my room thinking about this because I realized that he would never be able to understand, to be able to see the beauty of everything I just went through. I felt bad that it was something we'd never be able to share. But mainly I felt bad just for him, that it was something that he'd never be able to open his mind to. He's a brilliant man and I'd love to see what would happen with him on mushrooms.

You might be going through the same thing with other people you know. You have changed, but the changes you went through aren't as drastic as you're making them out to be and the depression you're feeling will go away soon. Sometimes mushrooms do that when you get in a funk during part of your trip, it'll follow you around for a while.

Either way man, you'll be fine, smoke some dank for a while and things will eventually become clearer.