questions about my first grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by theKBman, Dec 12, 2009.

1. so ive been around some growing for awhile but thinking of starting a few plants in a back closet in my apt but need some tips. im looking to grow maybe 3 plants max but from some dank seeds from a friend. any simple cheap setup ideas would be great. thanks

2. I would spend time looking at threads in the indoor grow jounals to get an idea.

Lighting wise if its an empty closet got HPS if its space limited go CFL

3. yea ive been researching non stop trying to get all my stuff together to get this show on the road. its either gonna be a 2x6 closet or a 6x6 laundry room. idk if the washer and dryer will effect the plant terribly cus i can imagine the dryer making the room a little warmer and the washer making it a bit humid.

4. that 2x6 is fuckin perfect
    (depending on how many plants you want to grow)

mylar that whole shit up nice and shiny

(whatever your lighting setup may be) it is always better so that you can control them either upward or downward (further closer to plants)

i say you can get 4 5 gallon buckets in there (4 plants)
    (assuming you go with dwc)

and also what is the height of the closet that matters as well but i think with that 2x6 you can maximize yield and efficiency

5. i dont think laundry room would be good for the reasons you stated above. i kno that my laundry room is like a suana when both machines are running. id stick with the closet.

6. the closet has a shelf that is removable at around 6 ft. but i also did some more research and have decided to maybe go with an auto flowering ak 48 and a large cfl bulb. anyones grow this yet?

7. you'll need more than just one cfl. At least 100 watts for your first plant. If you have the space get something bigger than an auto. If you are impatient grow an auto and a reg at the same time.

8. well yea the cfl i was looking at was 150 watt and i really dont have the room...but i already do have a couple regs goin just tryin to get some for my personal stash you kno..so pretty much it would be one auto ak 48 under the big cfl...prolly 20 on 4 off throughout the cycle. what kind of yield should i expect generally with an auto? ive seen some specs around an oz from a single plant and that good enough for me especially as a personal stash of the goods.

9. 150 equvilant watts? The actual wattage is prob 45 i haven't ever seen a 150 actual watt cfl bulb. Depends on the auto usually if you look at the seedbank they will tell you the expected yield. lr2xak47 have a range of 30 to 50 grams i see a lot of CFL grows wind up with 35-40 grams usually

10. yea dude the 150watt CFL should be ok for 1 auto, im guessing its one of those fat ones if its 150 actual watts, i like those fat CFL's i used to use em before HPS i use to use the 300 actual watt ones, also an Oz is a firly common yeild from autos so that seems reasonible yeild to aim for, but obviously all grows are diff

11. #11 mills69, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2009
    hey dude i know you can get them up to 300watts & thats actuall watts i use to use em, but i dont know if you can get them any higher, & they are beasts, the ones i had were about 1foot long CFL's

ones like this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/300w-Red-Spec...arden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN?hash=item414b7b38ff

12. ^Wow thats the biggest CFL i've ever seen :), I would still recommend supplementing it with some CFL's on the side, help the undergrowth. I think you should be able to yield 30-40 no prob

13. let me tell you about my new best friend BARNABEJONEZ

14. ive seen em at my local hydro shop. they are beasts lol

15. thanks a lot for all the help...like i said an oz is plenty for my personal stash. does anyone kno if i put up some mylar wings..u kno like people who sit outside with that reflective shit around their face..if that would help direct the all the light at the plant? also thanks for the link and heres a light i was considering..any help on if this is a good light or not would help..thanks.

XL COMBO 6500K BULB+PRO FIXTURE PLANT GROW LIGHT+GIFT - eBay (item 390130920448 end time Jan-12-10 08:17:14 PST)

also i was wondering if i should get another different light for flowering or if i could just use this bulb the whole time.

16. whoa i didn't know 150watt hid were that cheap. Wonder how much a month they cost to run anyways.

Yeah you will need to get a 2700k and 6500k. 6500k is for seedling through veg, 2700k is for flowering you could use just a 6500k but your returns will prob be less than an oz at that point

17. #18 tennvol, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2009
  18. dsq ,im not a idiot...im just a newbie and my home depot dont carry everything ...so i suggested something he seems to be familiar with ...thats all...not trying to get panties in a bunch man:wave: