Questions about my first grow...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ToMmYbOy1789, Mar 22, 2013.

1. #1 ToMmYbOy1789, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
    The first set of leaves that grew has yellowed tips. I haven't used any nutrients, just tap water that I let sit for 24hrs before use. The discolored leaves haven't gotten any worse since I first noticed them, I then distanced it from my lights. The rest of the plant is nice and green, and going strong. Is there anything else I should do in regard to the leaf tips yellowing?

I'm a little over 3 weeks into my first grow and was also wondering how long I should let it veg? I have a limited amount of space (grow box: 2'x18"x8")so should I just let it get to a certain height or wait a set amount of time?

image-3631367818.jpg

This is the best pic I have of the yellowed tips

image-2207743714.jpg

Most current pic of my first grow! It's not very tall, but it's stout and sturdy!

2. it looks extremely small for 3 weeks. Looks like you need more light, less water, and a bigger container.

3. the first photo is showing nute burn. most store bought soils have far too high concentration of nutrients for marijuana seedlings. this is what has caused your slow growth

by the second photo the plant has got to a size where it is handling the nutrient over dose a bit better. when you water run plenty through the soil. but you should be ok from now on

4. That "yellowing" is nothing to worry about, it's probably ready for some nutrients.
    It is kinda small for 3 weeks, maybe let it dry out some more between waterings/feeding. Too much water makes for to little oxygen in the root zone.
    As far as size, let it get to around 8", top it, and flip it. You'll still have to train it to keep it low enough.

5. They look fine bro. I don't give my plants nutes for 3-4 weeks. Them I start them off with 1/4 strength.

6. I would transplant it to your final container and once it's a few inches taller put in flower. You said height is limited to 8 inches. I would LST the plant to get make yield and doing that will allow you to veg longer. The burning at the tips is due to the soil having Nutes in it but the plant looks healthy so no worries.

7. image-2110040309.jpg

In its new home! It's a 6.5" diameter clay pot.
    Thanks for all the advice to everyone that posted some pointers! I'll keep the updates coming!

8. image-2855653737.jpg

Here's an update on the yellowing leaves. It looks like its slowly moving up the leaf, could that be from the stress of the transplant? Please let me know what I should do to help out my plant.

9. I wouldnt worry about it. The water leaves and first set of true leaves usually die pretty quickly. It looks pretty normal

10. That is a HUGE relief!! Thanks GreenFiend1!

11. Don't even worry about that yellowing as long as its only on the first set of leaves. They will fall off soon anyways. Get that girl some good light and she will reward you!

12. agreed

13. #13 GoldGrower, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
    the reason that is because the soil is too high in nutrients. the old pot had some rinsed out so the plant was fighting back and in my opinion it was on the mend. but now you have re potted it with new soil it's back to getting burnt. rinse the soil with water to lower the nutrient level.

btw it is not normal for leaves to die off. I have had plants several weeks old still with their cotyledon leaves still nice and green

14. So if those leaves are going to fall off anyway, could I just cut them off? Would that benefit the rest of the plant at all?

15. Wait until they are half dead, they benefit the plant until then.

16. Half dead, like half brown? Or half dead, like half yellow?

17. I know it's hard to look at the plant every day and not do something to try and help it but you have to just kick back and let it do its thing. Just let the leaves fall off naturally is my opinion but its not to harmful to take them off.

18. Any pointers on if/when I should top my plant?

19. You can start topping around the 5th-6th node. You should look up LST grows(low stress training) if your going to top, it lets you maximize the amount of light hitting each bud site. Or a scrog (screen of green). They are super effective grow methods when using cfls.

20. After the fourth node at the soonest.