Questions about moving to Amsterdam?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bunneh, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Alright, let me start this by, I live in Australia at the moment, I absolutely HATE the weather, I really love cold/rainy weather and Amsterdam seems ideal for that, plus the weed laws I mean its just an ideal place for me.

Basically I have a few questions for the people who live there. How far can I get knowing minimal dutch? Obviously I'll learn it but how much do i need to know before i can move there and just start learning it?

Jobs, what are the most popular jobs? What pay enough to live by, I've been doing some research but can't really find much.

Those are my questions for now, I need to remember some, finding it hard atm cuz im so blazed :smoke: well thanks guys.

2. #2 ProfessorX, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
    Damn, I'm moving to California because I hate the weather here! :p
    If you have any experience in an IT related job, you'll have a job in no time!
    For a firstline support employee they pay you around 1600euro. You can rent a house for 700 if you're in the suburbs. But houses here are pretty small!

Edit; To come back on the speaking Dutch part. I don't know about this, but I know a few people who live here and don't speak dutch at all. But they do have a steady job here, and speak fluent english. If you come here on vacation, and get yourself a job, you can get a visa without too many problems I suppose.

3. Sounds great dude! What do you mean by they pay you 1600 euros? do you mean weekly monthly or what?

4. Sorry, monthly.
    I think that's middleclass wage.
    I don't know how old you are etc, but if you can find yourself a job where they pay you 3000euro's each month, you can life a damn sweet life.

Contract and Permanent IT jobs in The Netherlands from IT Job Board .nl

5. Well most of the Dutch speak english so you should be able to get by relatively easy but it would be appreciated by the locals if you learned a bit of the language.

As for jobs? Well that depends on if you have a degree or not, if you do then you should look for job listings in the area... although I doubt you'd be hired since you're foreigner who doesn't speak dutch.

Basically when it comes to the job market, you'd be relegated to labor work because you just have a work permit... Which in turn means that you would have to work back breaking hours in some shitty retail or restaurant job, working 60 hour weeks just to afford a shitty 1 room apartment in the city.

6. #6 Bunneh, Apr 7, 2009

That was basically my plan, to get an IT job. I took IT in school to grade 12 but didnt take the certification test cuz I didn't want to do anything IT related.

So basically so far I've seen computer technician jobs 30-50 grand a year, thats good to live off in amsterdam correct? Cuz here you sorta struggle on those wages >.<. And I've seen good house/apartments for 1000 a month. Sounds pretty good, I'm hoping to take the certification test and start learning dutch and hopefully move in a year or 2.

Whats weed prices over there like? I've heard 5-10 euros per gram?

7. If you want an appartment in the city you pay 1000 a month =/
    If you are willing to work in the IT branche you don't need to speak dutch, english is enough, and if you also speak french you're set.
    If you work in the IT in holland, you can follow educations in that branche and the company you work for pays for it. So you can work yourself up easily.

8. I also work an IT job, and I get a big fat paycheck each month.

http://forum.grasscity.com/seasoned-tokers/348097-coffeeshop-prices-amsterdam-menu.html

That's the menulist from my favorite coffeeshop.

9. #9 Bunneh, Apr 7, 2009
    Thanks for the info man, looking forward to it so much.

10. No problem.
    If you have any questions at all just pm me.