Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Questions about medical marijuana in California

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by blitz9256, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Hello everyone I am a new member (after reading threads on here all day) and I have some questions about medical marijuana in California. I have had back pain since I herniated a disk when I was 18. I have gone to the doctor quite a few times for it since and have been prescribed vicodin, norco, and even morphine. Since I don't care to punish my liver and kidneys like that, I only take the pills when I'm in severe pain. If I took them for mild to moderate pain I would have to take them all the time, so I just deal with it. A friend of mine has a MMJ card for the exact same reason and has been encouraging me to see a doctor and get a recommendation. I haven't dabbled with this stuff since early high school and can't say I've had much interest in it since. If I were to go that route I would want to keep it low key and grow my own (1 plant is all I would need, 2 at the most if I was recommended multiple strains). I am a complete noob as far as that goes and have been reading up on everything about growing on here throughout the day. It seems like one of those things that's complicated until you start doing it. My questions are, if I had a recommendation for medical marijuana and was growing 1 or 2 plants in my house legally, would their be any legalities my wife would have to worry about as she would not be getting a card? My other main confusion is this: I understand that there is a way to get a recommendation and paper work to legally use medical marijuana without actually getting "the card". If I understand it correctly "the card" has more solid protection, but requires you to register with the county where some people believe you are put on "the list". Is there really a list I should be worried about? And do I understand the differences between the two correctly? Thanks for the help.

2. Your wife can't get in trouble. I'm a mmj patient in NorCal. Feds can still bust you but the odds of that are low unless you go crazy growing and attract their attention. You should be fine

3. There is no in between With the mmj you either have the card and are a patient or your not

4. You get the recommendation from the Dr. which will cover you as far as State law goes and that's all you really need.

You can also register with the State by way of your County Health Dept. and receive a card. This is suppost to make it easier to check and see if you are legal. However every recommendation I have seen has a phone number for a 24 hr hot line or a web address to check your MMJ statis. Carry it with you whenever you have MMJ on you and show it to any police officer who might stop you.

Now the State/County card will cost you either $100.00 or $150.00 a year and most of the people I know don't register just to save the fee.

5. Ok good to know, I didn't wan't my wife to be at risk over it. So if you get the recommendation from your doctor but don't register with the state for the card the state is still aware you have the card? I guess I'm just paranoid but every time someone talks about being on some list I think of some fascist type round up in the future of all card holders lol. Sounds stupid I know, I'm just super cautious. On that note, one more question, can any cop look up your name and find out if you have a card/recommendation? I keep good company, a few of them are local LEO and would still be cool about it, but it's something I would prefer to keep completely between my wife and I. I wouldn't want them to get board at work like we all do and search my name just as a joke and then find out. Obviously they could call and verify if they had my paper work, but I'm talking about just pulling up my "record"? Thanks for the help, I'm leaning towards doing it.

6. #7 OneOfTheGoodOnes, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

First, The MMJ Doc will cost from $42.00 up to $100.00. For this you will get a MMJ recommendation. At most MMJ doc's you can also buy a "card" to carry that has the phone number and web addy to check your statis.
    This does go into a data base but they would need a court order to get to it. It's easier to carry than the paper recommendation.
    Of course if if you are stopped or someone complains about smell and you have to show your recommendation, then the police report will show you as a MMJ recommendation holder.

Second, If you do not register with the State they will not be aware that you hold a MMJ recommendation.

Once again, if your name shows up on a police report it can be found.

I was on the light rail when a K-9 unit came on board. Don't you know the darn dog came up to me and sat down. His handler smiled and asked me, "MMJ?" I said, "Yes."
    and they went on their merry way without even asking to see my recommendation.

You're not at an age where you will be bragging about having a MMJ recommendation so you will NOT have anything to worry about.

7. Hey guys I just turned 18 and I've been contemplating about getting a Med Card. I messed up my knee playing basketball in high school and I am currently going to physical therapy. I've been smoking marijuana on and off and it really helps ease the pain in my knee (partial numbness at times). I had a question though, I still live at home and my parents pay for my medical insurance so they go with me when I go to the doctor. I was wondering if I get this Med Card would my parents find out? Would the doctor know about it?

8. The only way your Dr. would find out is if the, for want of a better word, MMJ Doc. actually sends a request for your medical records to your Dr.
    You would have to sign a release form that allows your Dr. to release your records to the MMJ Dr.

By signing the release form you are telling the MMJ Doc, "I'm legit, and you can check."

Do take any meds/empty bottles that you are taking or were taking And of course your state issued ID and cash.

9. Being that I won't be carrying any out of the house and it will be a one or two plant deal, I think I will just stay out of the State database. The less people that know the better. Do the recommendations also come with a number to verify? I would think there would have to be something to that comes with/on a recommendation to verify it otherwise it would be useless until long after you were arrested.

10. Hey Im just joined the forum and have a couple questions. Im moving out to San Diego area in about a month and I learned that I must be a Cali resident for 6 months before im a possible candidate for a medical marijuana card. Would I have to be a resident of a county that has dispensaries or just a Cali resident for 6 mnths? And do I need to do anything else when I get there like get a state ID?

11. Would I be able to bring only my prescription bottles with this months date on them as proof or do I need my medical records?

12. Thinking of going to Cannamed thousand oaks to get recommended. Its the only doctor in thousand oaks it seems.

13. #14 RamAbballah, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2012
    Better check local ordinances and such, blitz. Where I am they have undermined state law by not only closing all storefront dispensaries (zoning them out of existence), but by also banning growing, indoor or outdoor. While this seems to be in violation of state law and cases are being litigated, it isn't changing the attitude of law enforcement. Yes, the recs do come with a phone number and probably a website for verification.

Sour420: Surely it varies some, but all I needed were Rx bottles and descriptions of my problems. Usually pretty easy in CA.

See what's been goin' on in my area: http://safeaccessnow.org/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=8111
    Describes the issues pretty well, even the sneaky way indoor growing was banned that many didn't notice at first. Lots of places are doing crap like this. The DEA gets to claim federal supremacy while idiot local governments ignore state law and attack from below.

At times I feel the only thing that has changed since getting an MMJ rec is that I have a lot more people to call for bud. I really don't feel any safer, and that's a shame. I remember the feeling of freedom and vindication I felt when I first went into an actual MMJ dispensary. It was like South Park: "I LOVE THE FUTURE!" It's still okay, but it's a bummer when law enforcement gets to ignore the law... or make their own.

14. If I move to San Diego would I be eligible for card or do u have to live in a certain county? I have been on antidepressants for 13 years and I understand this can be enough to get a medical card.

15. [quote name='"Headn2Cali"']If I move to San Diego would I be eligible for card or do u have to live in a certain county? I have been on antidepressants for 13 years and I understand this can be enough to get a medical card.[/quote]

As long as you are a legal resident of California you are eligible for a card. And you will have no problem getting one. I have mine in California for depression and insomnia and I had no proof for the doctor (no medical records or prior medication for it) and he didn't even question it. He just signed it and gave me a recommendation. California is a very easy state to receive a rec.

16. Woohooo! Thanx Kdank, I can't wait to get there! Do you remember how much the doctor visit costs by chance?

17. [quote name='"Headn2Cali"']Woohooo! Thanx Kdank, I can't wait to get there! Do you remember how much the doctor visit costs by chance?[/quote]

They all vary but my doctor was $70 for new patients and $50 for renewals. I assume it's about the same where you're going.

18. That's awesome Kdank, thanks for all your help!